★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: My new game is out! (Splat)

03-11-2009, 12:30 AM
#1
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Boston, mass
Posts: 39
My new game is out! (Splat)

Hi everyone,
My new game ('Splat...') has just been published in the App store! It's an intense, colorful shooter in the vein of Geometry Wars or Mono. You navigate and shoot with a dual virtual joystick system, and as you destroy enemies they leave splats of paint behind that accumulate on the background. This eventually creates a unique image, and the more paint you cover the screen with the higher your score bonus becomes.
The game features three difficulty modes, powerups, instant save and resume, an original adaptive music score, high scores and online leader boards, and a fast and intense game play. I hope you enjoy it, and please leave your thoughts/wishes/ideas in this thread, as I'll be back to read them as I improve on the game. Oh yeah, it's a steal at just a buck.

app store link

Here's a video of me playing the game. Sorry about the quality, I'm working on getting a better one made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgJDIbXLpik
03-11-2009, 12:32 AM
#2
Awesome dude! I love the colorful "clouds" left behind. Nice work

Cobalt and Calcium- THE Coheed and Cambria fansite- NEW ALBUM COMING SOON!!!!

Waiting for- Bioshock, NHL 10, FIFA 10, Guerrilla Bob, NOVA, Sketch Nation

03-11-2009, 12:36 AM
#3
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: San Francisco, California
Posts: 5,305
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the fun looking game! How do you get powerups in the game?
03-11-2009, 12:55 AM
#4
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,710
In fact it looks really interesting.

The background painting is a cool addition to the genre.

I may purchase the game later... Feedback will follow.

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8
03-11-2009, 12:58 AM
#5
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,404
Hey that looks good. iDracula could learn a thing or two from his game, maybe the enemies could split up.
03-11-2009, 12:59 AM
#6
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 902
Seems like a really simple complex that both works and looks great.

Best of luck with the game!


Cheers,
Jakub
03-11-2009, 01:03 AM
#7
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: little town of bethlehem
Posts: 431
Send a message via AIM to s0mah Send a message via Yahoo to s0mah
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipster216@gmail.com View Post
Hi everyone,
My new game ('Splat...') has just been published in the App store! It's an intense, colorful shooter in the vein of Geometry Wars or Mono. You navigate and shoot with a dual virtual joystick system, and as you destroy enemies they leave splats of paint behind that accumulate on the background. This eventually creates a unique image, and the more paint you cover the screen with the higher your score bonus becomes.
The game features three difficulty modes, powerups, instant save and resume, an original adaptive music score, high scores and online leader boards, and a fast and intense game play. I hope you enjoy it, and please leave your thoughts/wishes/ideas in this thread, as I'll be back to read them as I improve on the game. Oh yeah, it's a steal at just a buck.

app store link

Here's a video of me playing the game. Sorry about the quality, I'm working on getting a better one made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgJDIbXLpik
I just bought this and it's pretty good. I'd recommend to fans of Geometry Wars (duh), and shooters in general.

I like that the game is removed from spaceships, and aliens, or whatever- I'm a bit sick of rocketry atm. I dunno even wtf you are, like a little aspirin or something, with guns. You shoot these color oozes and they split and multiply, then you kill those ones, which in turn make more things to kill. There are some power ups. For example, early on I picked up the SPREAD SHOT from Contra. I'm not sure what other weapons there are, because I was avoiding the powerups. I didn't wanna lose my goddamned spread.

My major gripe about this game is that it completely lacks physics. Your little tylenol carries no momentum and stops on a dime. If you make contact with a wall, you just stick until you drive away. I understand that there is a lot going on at the screen at once, and modeling each thing individually would probably make the game lag. I do think however, that the players ship should follow some sort of physical law.

Anyways, physics aside this game is great. It's $.99 and wtf, you had enough money to get your idevice. Stop being cheap you jerks.

twitter @ here
teh myspace @ &here
03-11-2009, 01:07 AM
#8
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: San Francisco, California
Posts: 5,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0mah View Post
I just bought this and it's pretty good. I'd recommend to fans of Geometry Wars (duh), and shooters in general.
Thanks for the quick impressions, although I'm not sure if the jerks comment was necessary. It's a game I'll be trying out hopefully in the next 24 hours...it's getting late here on the West Coast.
03-11-2009, 01:12 AM
#9
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0mah View Post
It's $.99 and wtf, you had enough money to get your idevice. Stop being cheap you jerks.
Who complained about the price?



Game looks solid. ^ ^

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc
03-11-2009, 01:22 AM
#10
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: little town of bethlehem
Posts: 431
Send a message via AIM to s0mah Send a message via Yahoo to s0mah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donburns99 View Post
Who complained about the price?



Game looks solid. ^ ^
No one yet, but they will.

It will sound like this:

HEY DEV WHEN IS TEH SALEZ CUZ I HAVE LIKE 2.99 LEFT AND IMMA WAITING FOR NEED FOR SPEED.

Or maybe:

Looks good dev, but what about that lite version? I'm completely on the fence despite the 5000 other people who are saying that this game is a must have. I just don't know w/o that lite version, the economy and all.

I guarantee it.

twitter @ here
teh myspace @ &here