★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Battle Cards HD - Card Game!

09-22-2010, 08:05 PM
Battle Cards HD - Card Game!

Battle Cards HD is available now!

Battle Cards HD comes with 2 card games, Tower Attack and Elevens. Additional games will be added in future updates assuming the game is popular. Games such as Solitaire, Quick 21, and Poker are planned.

In the games you battle monsters to clear the playfield before they kill you. If you clear the field you progress to the next level where the monsters hit for more. You unlock additional creatures to fight as your progress and earn higher score with each card cleared. You gain score bonuses for clearing cards quickly.

In Towers Attack you do this by selecting cards on the towers that are one higher or lower than the deck card.

In Elevens you do this by selecting cards that add up to 11 on the playfield.

Main Menu - Scaled to Fit

Tower Attack - Scaled to Fit

Tower Attack - Scaled to Fit

The game is integrated with OpenFeint for global leaderboards, friends list, twitter, facebook connectivity, and has several built-in achievements. The screenshots above are a build behind the release candidate but are 95% there.

It uses the highest resolution your device can support and works on all generations of devices without having to scale up (pure HD!)

Enjoy!

Xenovoid - FREE 4X Galactic Conquest MMO for iOS, PC, OSX, and Linux
JOIN THE FREE BETA @ Xenovoid.com
09-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Where is the link? Can't find it in the store from a search.

Now Playing: iStunt 2, Monster Trouble, Zombie Runaway, Stylish Sprint, Grim Joggers, Holy Moly Dragons, Fight Night Champion, NBA Jam, Rat On a Skateboard, Puzzle Quest 2, Jungool, Super Stick Golf, Smoody, Gravity Guy.

Last edited by freedog; 09-22-2010 at 08:24 PM.

09-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Thanks

Now Playing: iStunt 2, Monster Trouble, Zombie Runaway, Stylish Sprint, Grim Joggers, Holy Moly Dragons, Fight Night Champion, NBA Jam, Rat On a Skateboard, Puzzle Quest 2, Jungool, Super Stick Golf, Smoody, Gravity Guy.
09-22-2010, 08:35 PM
It looks like such a cool game! Could someone post impressions? (If you have time, of course!)

Thanks!

XBox Gamertag, GC, OpenFeint, Plus+: tecwrtr
Senior Technical Writer - always happy to write reviews!
09-23-2010, 02:57 AM
I play many card apps so I'll give my impressions.

1. It's universal.
Oh yeah!
2. Name under app is too large and reads Battle...rds HD
I'm one of the few people that find that bothersome, please shorten it.
3. Clear directions and scoring.
It's always nice to know what your doing and how cards are scored.
4. Open Feint is upside-down.
Odd since the game supports rotation.
5. Hall of legends and gameplay card backs blurry.
6. Card animations odd, not like a real deck of cards. Would like a more realistic deck. The card animation slows me down, which is a hindrance when playing against time.
7. Has sound efx, no music.

Overall it is an ok card game but not my favorite version of Towers or Elevens.
09-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the impressions, Inked!

It sounds like I'll be waiting for a code or a sale on this one.

Bummer - I love cards and I love monsters.

09-23-2010, 09:36 AM
So, it's the animations you want sped up? I'm not sure I understand the comment about not buying the game based on that one thing. Please tell me what you would like to see implemented and I'll add it to the next update.

Xenovoid - FREE 4X Galactic Conquest MMO for iOS, PC, OSX, and Linux
JOIN THE FREE BETA @ Xenovoid.com
09-23-2010, 09:43 AM
I think the things in Inked's impressions that turned me off a bit were points 5 and 6.

See quote below:
5. Hall of legends and gameplay card backs blurry.
6. Card animations odd, not like a real deck of cards. Would like a more realistic deck. The card animation slows me down, which is a hindrance when playing against time.

It wouldn't make me never buy the game (I love card games!), but it would make me at least wait for a sale...

09-23-2010, 01:11 PM
I'll try to explain. When I keep getting hit and can't play a card I draw from the deck for a new card. What happens is the deck stays the same and the drawn card flips over pauses then flips back over as a new card. It's when I need to make a match and have to keep going through the deck watching my health meter go down that I'm frustrated because I have to wait for the card to pause before a new one flips over. So I need say a 10 or K it goes, draw, flip, pause, flip, nope draw, flip, pause, flip etc.
I'd like it to flip from the deck as fast as I can draw a card.
09-23-2010, 03:19 PM
I agree with Inked about the animation for the flipping.

I've had a few games where I just need one card and I have to keep flipping to get a new one and it gets very annoying to wait for the slow "flip over - flip back" stuff. This seems to be the only thing in the game that I don't care for...

All in all it's a fun game and does pretty much what it sets out to do...

But there are some areas where this game could add a few features and really be something special.

The game really needs a few power ups. This would be great when you have something like I did in a game when I had three 2's on the board and had to keep flipping so I could clear one of them off. This would also work when you have the one last card showing and you're getting close to losing.

A power up could be something that destroys any card you choose or one that reveals some of the hidden cards. A good example of how this works is in the game "Solitaire Siege". I guess I was looking for a fantasy version of that game when i picked this up.

Since the dev is on the thread maybe they'll take a look at that game and see what sorts of things they can bring over to give this game a little more beef.

Another area that would be good to see added is the ability to buy some things (perhaps power ups). The faster you win a game could get you more money and you can then spend that to buy a "spell" or "special weapon" that you could use in the game. This could even include special armor that takes longer for a monster to kill you, or a weapon that kills them quicker.

Maybe you could even do something with the slow flipping and buy a spell that speeds this up.

Or you could turn over a card that suddenly gives the monster an advantage (slows down your flips, takes away life, etc.).

As you can see, I'm thinking this game could use a little RPG attitude thrown in. Look at how well "Sword & Poker" did with a simple premiss by adding something to it.

I'm happy with the game so far, but I know it's going to take more to get me to play it like I did with Sword & Poker.

Here's hoping that we can see something added to this effort.

Agent of TOFTT
Gamecenter Tag: QuickWit5