★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Erik Sigth
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 13.9 MB
  • Version: 1.6
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 2 (1)
App description: || A word from the developer ||
Growing up up i loved playing platform games. Spending most free time controlling monkeys, plumbers, hedgehogs and and a blue guy, with a canon for an arm, it makes perfect sense making my own. The mission is simple, at least in theory. Go to the store and buy milk. I hope you will like it :) || ERik ||

Features:
+++ 12 levels
+++ 4 worlds
+++ 8 kinds of enemies
+++ moving platforms
+++ bouncy trampolines
and more.

Version 1.5
+++ 3 NEW bonus levels
+++ 3 NEW enemies/obstacles

Nerd Trek was built on the sparrow framework (http://www.sparrow-framework.org/). Sounds were made using piezopop and nanoloop for iPhone/iPod Touch (http://www.nanoloop.com/).

goiMot's comments:

Demo:
09-24-2010, 01:53 AM
Controls are no good. Jump button in the middle of the screen? Directional buttons don't always register. Waiting for update...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimo View Post
This is not Windows, this is Apple, dude

09-24-2010, 04:12 AM
iDont think the dev is around.... a review should help

Mis-quotes!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSon View Post
The bottom two is where you can buy your bottom turrets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
at this point I should say we're not looking for anymore guys
09-24-2010, 06:30 AM
Developer (humbletune) was on the promo code thread yesterday. I agree that controls are a major issue. Movement on the far left/right with jump in the middle doesn't work as an ideal layout. However, I was willing to work with the layout, but the controls themselves are too buggy to continue. Too frequently, while moving right during a jump, the character simply stops horizontal movement in mid air and you don't make it to the next platform. Similarly, jump or move doesn't register.

I'm not sure if it's a bug, a design, or my imagination, but it appears the jump "button" zone is a fixed distance below the player. This means that while walking on the ground, you can tap the bottom of the screen. However, if you move up to a higher platform, you can no longer tap that same location on the screen, you now have to tap the middle of the screen to get the character to jump.

I'm curious to see what more the game brings in terms of level design, but until the controls are fixed (responsiveness, layout with left/right both on the left--or optionally right--of the screen) I've given up trying at level 2.
09-27-2010, 09:14 AM
I am sorry to hear that you dislike the controls. For the bugs, I am only able to test the game on a ipod touch 2 generation, and have never seen the phenomenon you talk about, even though many many hours of testing. Perhaps different devices react differently. But I will definitely have a look at the code again to see if there is any logical error I might have done.

For the layout I really tried to avoid the classical hardware controller style, as I don't think it makes much sense on a touch screen. The jump "touch area" is a circle that moves with the character. It is slightly bigger than the character and therefore it is possible to touch a bit below the character and he still jumps. This is only done, so that you do not have to be so exact when playing.

Cheers for the input.

ERik
09-27-2010, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbletune View Post
I am sorry to hear that you dislike the controls.
I could live with the buttons on the right and left of the screen, but I would prefer an option to move them both to the left or right since that's more natural to me. I could then use one thumb for moving and the other for jumping instead of having to use both thumbs for both tasks, needing go back and forth between the move and jump zones. It's not a deal-breaker though.

Quote:
For the bugs, I am only able to test the game on a ipod touch 2 generation...
That's the device I have. I can fairly consistently repeat the issue on the first blue platform in level 2. Admittedly, I haven't tried reinstalling yet, so....

Quote:
The jump "touch area" is a circle that moves with the character. It is slightly bigger than the character and therefore it is possible to touch a bit below the character and he still jumps. This is only done, so that you do not have to be so exact when playing.
This is a deal breaker for me, and in my opinion has the opposite result of what you were aiming for. The jump touch area shouldn't move. If the jump area were always in the same spot at the bottom of the screen (or the entire screen outside the move arrows), then I wouldn't have to be as precise--I could always just tap the bottom middle area of the screen and jump. Instead, I now have to be careful to tap on the character or within some fixed distance below the character which is moving around the screen, requiring me to be MORE exact with where I tap to jump.
09-27-2010, 10:49 AM
I appreciate the feedback, something to think about.

ERik
09-27-2010, 12:56 PM
I think I have found what might have caused your character stopping clzander. Sorry, about that. It is weird though that it never came up while testing. I guess everyone's fingers dance differently. I'll be submitting an update later tonight.

I thought about the controller layout, I will make the choice of the current layout and a classic layout, with a jump button. However, I will not have time to implement this feature right now, but hopefully later this week. Thank you very much and I hope this will help.

ERik
09-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Submitted! Coming soon...

ERik
10-02-2010, 05:52 AM
Read more about the Nerd Trek 1.1 update: http://www.humbletune.com/blogtest/