★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Overlooked games

10-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Overlooked games

There seems to be a lot of great, and usually cheap, games out there that get lost on the flood of apps.

Has anyone tried Wallz? It looks like an interesting strategy game. There's one review on iTunes, but I think it's probably the dev trying to talk it up.

Zone Warrior looks promising too.

Enso Dot and Hexterity both look like pretty unique puzzles.

Mastermind. I have this one, but I think it's overlooked. I keep it next to Imangi on my home screen with my "overwork my brain until I get a headache" puzzles.

Metasquares. I have this too. As far as I know it's an original concept and it's very well executed.

I know there has to be about a million more.
10-21-2008, 12:25 PM
phit, by Armour games
i was pleasantly surprised with this game..it feels right on the touch...I'm looking for more from this flash game developement company...

ichess...for only 99 cents, it reminds of a chess game i use to play on the Sony Clie

knots....twister for your finger, for free

thats all i can think of that i enjoy that i have noticed not gotten a lot of attention, esp. phit

10-21-2008, 01:49 PM
knots can go in my other thread... oh so close!
It has too many issues and bugs right now, but the concept is there.

ESPN Camerman is pretty fun - but I don't think this is under any radar, most people are probably aware of this one. Same can be said for Jellycar. As for older apps that you don't hear much about, FireDrop is pretty fun.
10-21-2008, 02:02 PM
Send a message via AIM to blakespot
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYou View Post
There seems to be a lot of great, and usually cheap, games out there that get lost on the flood of apps.
Zone Warrior looks promising too.
Zone Warrior is fun. I am going to try to get a review w/ vid out tonight, FYI.

blakespot

:: Blake Patterson :: Touch Arcade administrator
:: [twitter] [me] [flickr]
10-21-2008, 03:24 PM
I'm surprised more people haven't picked up the puzzle game Marple; last I checked it was free, there are one million puzzles, and it's a great 3-minute time sink.

I paid the $2 for it a while back and it's what I love to play when I'm mindlessly watching TV for a few minutes.
10-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Metasquares is a gorgeous game - both visually and game play. Really keeps me on my toes! It was the first game that I spent over 30 mins at a stretch playing. before that, the 10+ games I had, never got my attention for more than 5 mins. X-Plane, Subway and FieldRunners have been the only games that have kept me hooked for more than 30 minutes.
10-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakespot View Post

blakespot
Thanks Blake. I was wondering about this one.
10-21-2008, 05:16 PM
I purchased Hexterity last week and was playing it last night.

My feelings on it are mixed so far.

The game interface is very slick and polished... it even has some great instructions (something that has been lacking in so many other games) including a walkthrough of how to play, tips & tricks and an on-line video tutorial (that I haven't looked at yet).

Other pluses are that the game pauses when you close it, the status bar is displayed (so you can see the time and the battery status), sounds can be muted so you can listen to your own music, the game keeps track of your high scores and you can also compare your scores to other players worldwide.

Game play can be very tricky. Not always as easy as it appears (it can be hard to work out a way to link the tiles to form an unbroken loop that includes the gem). And you are playing to a time limit.

Rotating the tiles has not proved to be so easy. I've had real trouble getting the tiles to rotate at times. And that is where some of the frustration has come into it for me. While there is an alternative way to rotate the tiles (you can change the method in the game settings) neither way works all of the time. Its almost like the tiles can be sticky and get stuck and just do not want to move. Very frustrating! I will be sending the developers some feedback - I thought perhaps a better way to rotate the tiles would be to have them turn clockwise when you tap the tile. So three taps would turn the tile clockwise three times, etc. This would really improve game play.

Despite the needed improvement on moving/rotating the tiles, I still really like this game, will keep playing it and would buy it again.
10-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snow_mani View Post
Rotating the tiles has not proved to be so easy. I've had real trouble getting the tiles to rotate at times. And that is where some of the frustration has come into it for me. While there is an alternative way to rotate the tiles (you can change the method in the game settings) neither way works all of the time. Its almost like the tiles can be sticky and get stuck and just do not want to move. Very frustrating! I will be sending the developers some feedback - I thought perhaps a better way to rotate the tiles would be to have them turn clockwise when you tap the tile. So three taps would turn the tile clockwise three times, etc. This would really improve game play.

Despite the needed improvement on moving/rotating the tiles, I still really like this game, will keep playing it and would buy it again.
Hi snow_mani,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the tile rotation. We actually experimented with quite a few different options, as of course this is the most important thing in the game. The current options, are the ones that both we, and our beta testers, found the easiest to use.

The trouble with tap-to-rotate, is if you want to go just a single step anticlockwise, you have to tap 5 times, which gets old fast! Nonetheless, enough people have asked for this, that we're planning to add it as an option in a future update.

One thing that isn't instantly obvious to people (which is why we demo it in the video tutorial -- but not everyone watches it) is that you don't have to keep your finger on a tile while rotating it. You can put your finger down on the tile you want, then drag your finger anywhere on the screen, and the tile keeps turning until you let go.

Glad you're enjoying the game, though!

Canis
Lead developer
Wooji Juice
10-21-2008, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakespot View Post

blakespot
Yeah, I'd love to check it out.