★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

The Quest or Undercroft?

09-24-2010, 05:28 PM
The Quest or Undercroft?

In your opinion, which is more enjoyable? I know...one's free and the other is 4.99. Just wondering in terms of fun and playability.
09-24-2010, 05:33 PM
They're both awesome!

Understory has the Dungeon Master 2 gameplay down, faster gameplay, a party, but is much more linear.

The Quest has a hugemongous open 3D world, many expansions, a great quest system, more to do overall, but suffers from "Rambo" symdrome IMHO. Thankfully another level 0 expansion has been written - The Cursed Chess Set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!

09-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbagemaster View Post
In your opinion, which is more enjoyable? I know...one's free and the other is 4.99. Just wondering in terms of fun and playability.
If you want depth and have enough patience (I don't) then go for the Quest. For sheer fun, Undercroft without a doubt.
09-24-2010, 10:39 PM
get Undercroft as it is free (and awesome) - but I prefer The Quest.

Check out my band HEAVY JACK - SOME FREE MUSIC FOR DOWNLOAD

How can you live on the banks of a river when the floodwater pours from the mouth?
- Paul Simon
09-24-2010, 11:11 PM
You can't go wrong with either, I'd say. The quest has more depth and is a very rewarding, great game. But I find myself playing Undercroft more. I think it has the edge for fun, a certain je ne sais quoi.
09-25-2010, 02:33 AM
Both are worth your precious time. Undercroft feels like a tighter 'story' to me, and I personally prefer the graphics but The Quest has plenty going for it.
09-25-2010, 04:51 AM
Undercroft is free... Get both.
I like them both - only the strange zoom with graphics in UC makes me feel a bit funny o.o
TQ doesn't have this problem and the world is more expansive.

Have a look at Naruto RPG!
Look at Gamebook Adventures for iPhone/iPod/iPad!
I do app descriptions for free
09-25-2010, 07:05 AM
Undercroft has regularly little puzzles or sort of enigma or problems to solve. Nothing very difficult but good enough to add a lot of charm to exploration. I didn't played much the Quest but didn't notice this in it and the exploration seem to me a little tedious.

Undercroft isn't linear but proceed by successive area and use realistic blocking parts to unlock more exploration parts in an area. But it's far from the linearity of many RPG and it's not free like some sandbox RPG.

I suppose I should try play again the Quest... and finish a day Undercroft.
09-25-2010, 08:08 AM
I prefer The Quest for its complexity and openness, but Undercroft has a lot going for it as well. Someone mentioned the simple puzzles, which is a good instance. As everyone else has already said, both are worth having.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms
09-25-2010, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the great input everyone
Sounds like instead of one or the other, I'll order up the Undercroft appetizer. When I'm ready for the main course, I'll get The Quest.