★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: CNET.com - 4/5 Stars
"Lying Liar's Dice is a simple but addictive game that lets you play the old barroom standby, Liar's Dice, on your iPhone. The interface is sparse, but it offers all the information you need to play Liar's Dice with your friends on one phone, or against a surprisingly savvy AI." Jason Parker, Senior associate editor, CNET.com

"What makes Lying Liars Dice so great is that it presents the game in a way that it all makes sense, even for those who arent drinking. Its not the prettiest interface ever, but once you get used to it, its quite fun." - Chris Hall, Senior Writer, 148Apps.com

1 minute game play video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=v8bF8A9JGKM

Features include:

- Play against 1-5 computer opponents
- Multiplayer against 1-5 human and / or computer opponents
- Detailed Walkthrough and interactive Tutorial Mode to learn how to play
- 6 distinct game play modes (Classic, Reverse, Survival, One Die Challenge, Sudden Death, and Perfect Game Challenge)
- All common rule sets (Ones Wild, No Wilds, Bid Ones at Any time, Bid Ones on first bid to make all dice natural, and Spot On Calls)
- Detailed stat tracking across all game types and end game stats to see how each opponent performed during longer game modes
- Retina Display Support
- Multitasking Support
- Quick game play with no load times or unnecessary waiting

Lying Liars Dice is a port of the classic bar game Liars Dice. Realistic, streamlined game play, challenging computer opponents, unique game play modes, and a detailed interactive tutorial to teach you how to play highlight this iPhone adaptation. This is the perfect app for brand new and experienced Liars Dice players from around the world.

Lying Liars Dice is the epitome of Mobile Gaming which places Quick Fun above all else. The average game with 5 Opponents will take about 5 minutes to complete and will be filled with strategy, thinking, and most importantly FUN. As the game progresses immersion and emotion are guaranteed!

An absolute must try for anyone who wants to play Liars Dice on the go, and a fun strategy game that will appeal to anyone who enjoys complex strategy games. The AI in Lying Liars Dice does not cheat and uses the exact same amount of information that the player has in order to place their bids and make their calls. Lying Liars Dice has only one difficulty setting: Realistic. Find out who is better at bluffing, You or a Computer!

Liars Dice is a 500 year old game which tests the deception, strategy, and analytical abilities of its players. Each player begins with 5 dice and the objective is to be the last one standing.

As seen in Red Dead Redemption and Pirates of the Caribbean.

There is also an iPad version found here:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lying-liars-dice-deluxe/id420933765?mt=8&ls=1

Suggestions and Questions are very welcome at LyingLiarsDice@gmail.com

Rutabaga's comments:

*********** FREE through March 11, 2011 *******************

I created this game because pretty much all the Liar’s Dice games in the iTunes store are bit too overly complicated to be fun. My game, Lying Liar’s Dice, is a simple and quick version of the game with pretty difficult computer opponents. It also contains all the common rule sets that people play with in various regions. I think it is by far the most fun and complete version of Liar’s Dice in the app store. It even has a bunch of unique game play modes that separate it from the others.

For anyone that has never played Liar’s Dice before, the game itself is amazingly fun and has elements of strategy similar to playing poker, however Liar’s Dice is still actually fun when no money is involved. If more people had heard of it, it would probably be one of the more popular mobile gaming ports, so it is definitely worth checking out. It really blows away most card games where there is only one obvious move every time, however it is just simple enough that the AI is very challenging. Even as the creator, knowing all the quirks, I only win about 50% of the time. And, I am very proud to say that the AI never cheats. All the decisions are made based on the same amount of info the player has.

Would love for people to check it out and hopefully enjoy it.

Newest Update February 12, 2011 includes:
Local Multiplayer
Different Game Speeds
Different backgrounds
A No Wilds Option
Made what dice the game was counting more clear

Here is a video preview:

Youtube link | Pop Up
09-27-2010, 09:22 PM
I downloaded the Lite version and gave it a try. It was difficult to figure out how to play, even after reading the help file 2 or 3 times. Your instructions are almost, but not quite, good enough. You could improve them by working with a friend who doesn't know the game. It would be even better if you make a video tutorial showing how to play, and link to it in your iTunes description, etc.

I think your game will work very well for those who already know how to play, but newcomers will be challenged. It's fun because the AI is good enough that you can learn by playing against it. And it's nice to know the AI doesn't cheat by looking at your dice, so you know you can win by playing smarter.

Last edited by acrotran; 09-27-2010 at 09:25 PM.

09-28-2010, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrotran View Post
I downloaded the Lite version and gave it a try. It was difficult to figure out how to play, even after reading the help file 2 or 3 times. Your instructions are almost, but not quite, good enough. You could improve them by working with a friend who doesn't know the game. It would be even better if you make a video tutorial showing how to play, and link to it in your iTunes description, etc.

I think your game will work very well for those who already know how to play, but newcomers will be challenged. It's fun because the AI is good enough that you can learn by playing against it. And it's nice to know the AI doesn't cheat by looking at your dice, so you know you can win by playing smarter.
Thanks for the feedback! I will definitely get on making something. What was most confusing, the actual gameplay mechanics, or the strategy?

One thing I have noticed with people who I taught the game to recently is that they very rarely bluff. If you are losing more than 75% of the time, you probably aren't bluffing enough.

If it is the mechanics then I will definitely make a video on that as well. Every single Liar's Dice game in iTunes suffers from a bit of the "What The Heck is Going On" Factor. I think mine is still the least cumbersome, but that's not much solace if it still isn't clear.
09-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Here is a new video of how to play the game. Hope this is in line with what might have been lacking before. And, just a reminder, a free version of the game can also be found here.

This is no longer how the game looks, but I am going to leave it here as a testament to how much the graphics have evolved! The how to play nature of this video is also no longer necessary as the game should be able to teach you while playing.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by Rutabaga; 02-13-2011 at 03:07 PM.
09-28-2010, 08:31 PM
I've been using Dead Man's Dice

only thing I wish it did was show total dice remaining. Does this one? I see Total in gameplay video but couldn't tell.

This one seems to have quite a bit more rule tweaks though.
09-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Sorry, I was busy today and didn't have time to reply to your questions.

Your new video does an excellent job of explaining the game play. Thanks.

Last edited by acrotran; 09-28-2010 at 10:40 PM.
09-28-2010, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbass View Post
I've been using Dead Man's Dice

only thing I wish it did was show total dice remaining. Does this one? I see Total in gameplay video but couldn't tell.

This one seems to have quite a bit more rule tweaks though.
Each player's total dice is represented by a number in their little cartoon cup. It starts out as all 5's and will change if they lose a die. It is always visible while you are bidding so you know how many dice the player who is bidding has and how many total are on the table. I thought it was better to make it like the table top version where you have to manually add them all up, but it does fix the problem in Dead Man's Dice where you don't have any info at all mid turn if you aren't paying full attention.

Dead Man's Dice and LiARR's Dice both obviously have much better graphics than my game, but they are both also much too slow to have fun playing. I definitely see where some confusion can come in for the learning curve, but I think once the player gets used to the visuals of my game they will appreciate that it is just a no frills vehicle for actually playing Liar's Dice, which is fun in and of itself.
09-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
Each player's total dice is represented by a number in their little cartoon cup. It starts out as all 5's and will change if they lose a die. It is always visible while you are bidding so you know how many dice the player who is bidding has and how many total are on the table. I thought it was better to make it like the table top version where you have to manually add them all up, but it does fix the problem in Dead Man's Dice where you don't have any info at all mid turn if you aren't paying full attention.
Ah yes nice touch I like how you implement it. In tabletop usually we put dead dice in middle so one can calculate or do quick guess by looking at how many are in the middle so figure out the remaining total.

After trying your game (thanks) yes it has many more options and for advanced players it's the way to go for single player against AI opponents. I'd say if you wanna play hotseat then go with deadman's dice OR go to Target and for $1 get a pack (get four packs) of five different colored dice 3 each. Then you just need cups to carry around. Still though having it on iphone is still more portable.
11-08-2010, 05:11 PM
I just completed a major update of this app! The previous versions of Lying Liar’s Dice seems to have been too difficult to learn to play and had a crashing issue (which should be fixed). The newest release should provide enough info for anyone to learn the game with its interactive tutorial modes (Seen in the pictures above). The game also experienced a major graphical upgrade. Check out the difference between the youtube video in the fourth post and the new graphics in the top one to see just how big.

I also started a contest on this forum to get the ball rolling on some reviews and feedback. The thread for the contest can be found here.

I truly believe this is the best Liar's Dice game in the App Store. Please give it a try if you have played Liar's Dice before. And, if you have never played before, this new update provides the perfect way to learn. I am really proud of the tutorial modes and think they can be used by anyone to learn to play both this iPhone version and the actual live game which is amazing to play with friends or for money.

Last edited by Rutabaga; 11-08-2010 at 05:15 PM.
11-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Cool game, dices are cooool .