★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Moku Games
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 7.3 MB
  • Version: 1.1.2
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: REVIEWS:

"Wabash Cannonball rolls in with a near-perfect score" -- The Unofficial Apple Weblog

Wabash Cannonball brings Queen Games' popular board game Chicago Express to your iPhone and iPod Touch! Set during America's golden age of railroads, players represent investors determined to make their fortunes from America's great westward expansion. Outsmart the competition through clever stock manipulation and efficient use of resources to win renown as the richest robber baron of the age!

This challenging strategy game offers solo play against up to four computer opponents. Wabash Cannonball can also be used in face to face play with friends, enabling fast games with or without additional computer opponents. Current owners of the Chicago Express board game will appreciate Wabash Cannonball as a player aide, with its automatic calculation and charting features.
09-28-2010, 08:31 AM
I could buy this game at 5$ only if they add online multiplayer, as Carcassonne or Samurai (already bought this two games)

Heavy Devil is my latest game, check it out! AppStore GooglePlay

09-28-2010, 10:15 AM
I have been interested in this one and will probably end up buying it anyway but $4.99 is a bit high when compaired to other board games which have release been released.

The two biggest complaints so far seem to be lack of online and weak AI. Neuroshima Hex doesn't offer online either but at least they have different AI difficulty levels and that is priced only at $2.99.

I read that they are talking about adding online in the near future but I think the if the developers wanted to start strong and get people interested in their game they should have started with a lower price point then increased it when online gets added.
09-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Agreed. I was looking forward to this release, but was hoping for a lower price point. Had I already played the board game and enjoyed it, I'd pay $4.99 no problem. But, it's hard to pay that 'sight unseen' with no online play and reading 'concerns' about the AI elsewhere.

That being said, I bought Neuroshima Hex 'sight unseen', but was willing to take the leap of faith for $2.99. Not so willing to take the $4.99 leap of faith when I *know* Samurai (also on my wish list) is the same price and has online play, etc.

Funny(sad?) to think that I worry about $2 so much, but it's all relative I guess. There are plenty of app store economics threads out there covering that!
09-28-2010, 09:30 PM
son of a bee evidently someone said dev said there may be a separate ipad app. Hmm do I wait then get iPad ...iPad owners once again get the royal screw.
09-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Link to Chicago Express on the Geek.

09-28-2010, 10:59 PM
I'm really on the fence about this one. I love board games, but I have no idea what type of game this is. Can anyone give me a basic introduction as to what the gameplay is like?

Playing: FIFA 12 Monster Island Quarrel Deluxe FIFA Superstars Fix-It-Up
Waiting For: Trenches 2, Ultra Kid, Car Jack Streets 2, Star Command
Plus+, Game Center, Open Feint, Crystal, Gameloft Live: jecebn
09-29-2010, 10:41 AM
I only played one game but it's like Railroad Tycoon as far as laying railroad track (but not making deliveries though). Kinda like Acquire with dividends. Kinda like Imperial where you can be vested in a company as long as you own shares. Bidding is highest wins so has one element of Modern Art. Has a little screwage factor if you build track and don't let them connect to Chicago so a little bit of Santiago.

There is a pretty decent tutorial that comes with it and Rules clarify any questions. So far so good though but probably not for the average joe you'd have to be a true board gamer to enjoy this one I think which I am.

Let me explain game play a little bit.
There are like 4 or 5 companies (red, blue, etc.)
and you bid for their shares. On a turn you can either call an auction, develop, or lay track.

When you auction you just have have to keep raising by at least one. If you pass your out.

Develop means you improve a city for instance which gives that company more income (increases dividends) and building cost comes from the treasury of the company not your own cash.

Lay track you lay three tracks and there is a limited supply of track for each company.

Basically you try to steal dividends from lucrative companies. If two have a vested interest then they can combine forces trying to connect to Chicago which pays out a dividend right away upon connecting.

Also there are dividend phases after two of the three available actions are completed. The calculation for dividend payouts is like total income divided by number of shares and round up to add a $1. So say income of blue company is $20 with 3 shares that is 20/3=$6 and add one so it's $7. So if you own three shares you'll get $21.

Most money wins at end of game which occurs when either (8 turns Detroit, 3 companies have sold out of their limited shares, or 3 companies have all laid their limited track supply).

Last edited by mrbass; 09-29-2010 at 10:49 AM.
09-29-2010, 11:03 AM
Mmm... so many interesting boardgames coming out as of late... wish Rio Grande would find someone to work on Dominion.

Never thought there would be enough for me to make a 'Boardgame' folder on my phone, guess I was mistaken.
09-29-2010, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by trystero View Post
Mmm... so many interesting boardgames coming out as of late... wish Rio Grande would find someone to work on Dominion.

Never thought there would be enough for me to make a 'Boardgame' folder on my phone, guess I was mistaken.
I've heard different things on Dominion, one is that devs are trying to gain the rights to it but Rio Grande want to see a custom build (like nueroshima hex, carcassonne) rather than hand it to a dev that made a game engine and just switches the theme of it.

Right now I have 2 boardgame folders, 2 Reiner Knizia folders, and one Cardgame folder.