Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 09-29-2010, 10:45 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

So this is basically the iphone version stretched to ipad and a few extra players in hot seat? USM really likes to make you double dip with no real enhancements
Old 09-29-2010, 10:47 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganTnT View Post
So this is basically the iphone version stretched to ipad and a few extra players in hot seat? USM really likes to make you double dip with no real enhancements
This is what I am wondering. I currently play the iPhone version on the iPad, hard to tell if anything is different.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:56 AM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

Sorry to sound like a total noob, but what is "Hot Seat" multiplayer?

Also, since it sounds like some folks have the iPhone version, is the AI fun to play with in Single Player?

Thanks for any replies!
Old 09-29-2010, 11:21 AM
iPad, OS 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganTnT View Post
Yes, this is an exceedingly disappointing release. It appears to be no different than the iPhone app, so I had to pay again for no improvements. This version still smacks of a lazy port of a cell phone game. Ugly graphics that have annoying animation that can't be turned off. Lots of wasted space in the graphical layout so it looks like mostly ocean. Very little effort went into designing to take advantage of the iPad. Clunky UI with small buttons and too many presses/swipes to get what you want. No online multiplayer. No tutorial, so the game will be very unfriendly to new players. I wish I could take my purchase back. No expansions.

Carcassonne set the bar very high for board game apps on the iPhone/iPad. When you compare this Catan to Carcassone it brings tears to your eyes. It amazes me that developers can't look at an app like Carcassone and immediately see what is lacking in their app. Carcassone is a pleasure to play. This Catan, like the iPhone version, is constantly frustrating to play.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:28 AM
iPad

damn. this was going to be a furious INSTANT BUY for me on the ipad but now I'm starting to waver. Disappointing.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:53 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Same here.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:42 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

This version does indeed look like another port of the sub-standard cell phone game. I tried the Nintendo DS version a while back and it's the same ported version as all the others. Interface is terrible and is painful to play - and I love Settlers! I so wish a capable developer could get the license for Settlers...I guess I'll just keep on dreaming.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:54 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

Lame, especially on the heels of Samurai and Neuroshima Hex announcing universal builds...

Truth is while I love Catan, I already don't really like the iPhone version, no way I'd even consider this.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:36 PM
iPad, OS 3.x

Two more games with vastly superior implementations than this Catan. Add in Kingsburg, Mu, Tichu, Small World, Medici, etc. and it is very sad that Catan was done so poorly. It deserves much better.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:57 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Change og hearth. I go for carcassone.