★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Urban Tycoon going 3D this December

10-21-2008, 04:24 PM
Urban Tycoon going 3D this December

Urban Tycoon (App Store Link) - Will be going from a 2D isometric game to a full 3D game for the iPhone and Desktop this December. Not only will you build your city in 3D but you will also be able to walk your city streets in 3D. We have decided to use the Unity 3D game engine for Urban Tycoon and future game. Below are some building models that will be in the game.

10-21-2008, 04:30 PM
I have a few problems with this- I mean, it's great you're thinking big in terms of the future of Urban Tycoon, but it's complete bullshit how you released a game that's not even close to finished, and got everybody to buy it thinking it was something it wasn't (like a fun, challenging game). Obviously it's not. Maybe before you start working on a Desktop application, how about finishing Urban Tycoon is a way of polishing it, and making it easily twenty times better. v.1.1 really did nothing in terms of updates, except for descriptions. Still no car animations, people, etc.

Is it really that hard for a talented programmer like you?

Urban Tycoon all together had so much potential, and I think you released it too early and blew it's name- for a very long time, maybe even forever.

Big mistake, TouchSoft.

10-21-2008, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armbruster View Post
I have a few problems with this- I mean, it's great you're thinking big in terms of the future of Urban Tycoon, but it's complete bullshit how you released a game that's not even close to finished, and got everybody to buy it thinking it was something it wasn't (like a fun, challenging game). Obviously it's not. Maybe before you start working on a Desktop application, how about finishing Urban Tycoon is a way of polishing it, and making it easily twenty times better. v.1.1 really did nothing in terms of updates, except for descriptions. Still no car animations, people, etc.

Is it really that hard for a talented programmer like you?

Urban Tycoon all together had so much potential, and I think you released it too early and blew it's name- for a very long time, maybe even forever.

Big mistake, TouchSoft.
aww I'm sorry you feel that way... not only am I a first time cocoa/iphone programmer .. but it was my first time ever creating a game. (but thanks for considering me a talented programmer) I went from zero knowledge.. to a game in 1 month. So it's all about a learning process. I created the current Urban Tycoon by myself.. with no help.... and no previous knowledge of how to program for MacOSX platform.

Now that I've got a team that can work on multiple things at once... I'm pretty happy about Urban Tycoon and where it's headed. Sorry you can't share in my excitement ... but I can't make everyone happy, I can only try

PS. I didn't FORCE anyone to buy anything... I can't control what people spend their money on. But I do thank the people who did get the game.. and I'll be working hard to make this and future games even better

Last edited by TouchSoft; 10-21-2008 at 04:48 PM.
10-21-2008, 04:56 PM
I reckon you would have made many more people happy if you had delayed releasing an unfinished game until it was finished.

Rolando is a good case in point.
10-21-2008, 04:57 PM
Can't wait that looks awesome some great competition for Sim City.
10-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchSoft View Post
aww I'm sorry you feel that way... not only am I a first time cocoa/iphone programmer .. but it was my first time ever creating a game. (but thanks for considering me a talented programmer) I went from zero knowledge.. to a game in 1 month. So it's all about a learning process. I created the current Urban Tycoon by myself.. with no help.... and no previous knowledge of how to program for MacOSX platform.

Now that I've got a team that can work on multiple things at once... I'm pretty happy about Urban Tycoon and where it's headed. Sorry you can't share in my excitement ... but I can't make everyone happy, I can only try

PS. I didn't FORCE anyone to buy anything... I can't control what people spend their money on. But I do thank the people who did get the game.. and I'll be working hard to make this and future games even better
I feel good for you that you've come so far, but I think you're thinking too far ahead about the desktop app. You should really make the AppStore app even better than SimCity, then focus on new ideas like that.

You didn't FORCE anybody, but you did give us all 'false' hope, it's basically a bare game, and a lot more details were given that don't quite exist in the game.
10-21-2008, 04:59 PM
The 3D city looks great. I'll probably give it a shot!
10-21-2008, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by different View Post
I reckon you would have made many more people happy if you had delayed releasing an unfinished game until it was finished.

Rolando is a good case in point.
Trust me, I understand now... again.. this was a great learning experience for me.. I've been officially introduced to the world of commercial software. It's tough .. but I'm enjoying every minute.

I love to hear criticism just as much as complements.
10-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armbruster View Post
I feel good for you that you've come so far, but I think you're thinking too far ahead about the desktop app. You should really make the AppStore app even better than SimCity, then focus on new ideas like that.

You didn't FORCE anybody, but you did give us all 'false' hope, it's basically a bare game, and a lot more details were given that don't quite exist in the game.
Hi Arm, Maybe you don't understand the Unity 3D game engine..... it's build once, run on multiple platforms.

So when I create the game for iPhone.. that same build (with a few tweaks) can run on the desktop. It's not like we are reinventing the wheel.

But I don't take your concerns lightly. I do appreciate your input and critiques .
10-21-2008, 05:06 PM
I will reserve judgement until if/when what is promised is delivered.