★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Matt Rix
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 7.7 MB
  • Version: 1.66
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating: 5 (3)
App description: "The best puzzle game on the App Store."

What's the difference between Trainyard and Express? In the full game there are more than 100 more puzzles, and you can even MAKE YOUR OWN PUZZLES.

The full game also has splitter pieces, which are AWESOME.

Trainyard Express Features:
+ Innovative and challenging puzzle mechanic
+ Smooth difficulty curve
+ Over 60 fantastic puzzles
+ NO ADS
+ Hundreds of ways to solve each puzzle
+ Easily share your unique solutions on Trainyard.ca
+ Looks GREAT on the iPad
+ Game Center
+ Engineered for low battery usage
+ Colour-blind mode
+ A year in the making
+ Developed in my spare time(support indie games!)

Stuck on a puzzle? There are over 1.2 MILLION player submitted solutions at http://trainyard.ca/solutions

Trainyard Express is a puzzle solving game unlike any that you've ever played. It's easy to learn but very tough to master. Your job is simple: get each train to a goal station. Red trains go to red stations, blue trains go to blue stations, etc. You control the trains by drawing track for them to follow. There isn't a time limit or even a score; the only thing you need to do is figure out a solution for each puzzle.

The first few puzzles are almost too easy, but as the difficulty increases you'll be thankful that you were able to practice the fundamentals of drawing track. As the game progresses, you'll have to use basic colour theory to combine trains of different colours, use timing to merge, and use every inch of your brain in your quest to beat the game.

Find out more at http://www.trainyard.ca

Developed by Matt Rix (matt@trainyard.ca)

Proudly made in Canada.

Known issues (minor):

- If some provinces can't be unlocked even after you've solved all the available puzzles, that's a bug: Go to options, switch to player 2 then back to player 1 to fix it.

- Sometimes, the sounds stop working. Close the app using the multitasking bar to get sounds back.

Trainyard Express makes use of these excellent libraries:

+ Cocos2D-iPhone by Ricardo Quesada
+ XAuthTwitterEngine by Aral Balkan
+ Twitter+OAuth code by Ben Gottlieb
+ MGTwitterEngine by Matt Gemmell
+ ASIHTTPRequest by All-Seeing Interactive
+ SFHFKeychainUtils by Buzz Andersen
+ TouchXML by Jonathan Wight
+ FMDB by Flying Meat Inc.

ElectricGrandpa's comments:

Lemme know if you have any questions about the game, Thanks!

-Matt
09-30-2010, 09:53 PM
Looks interesting thanks for this man

10-01-2010, 01:44 AM
Thanks for this, i read very interesting reviews when it came out on the Store.
10-01-2010, 06:23 AM
Hey, a Mississauga man. I work there, and live just north. Cool! I'll have to check it out.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
10-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfield View Post
Hey, a Mississauga man. I work there, and live just north. Cool! I'll have to check it out.
Sweet I actually work in Toronto, but I live near Cooksville GO Station.

I made Trainyard and Disco Zoo. You might like them!

@MattRix | @Trainyard | @Milkbag
10-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Cool, I also live right next to it now Before I used to live there for the past 10 years.

Great game by the way. Picked it up last night and Im really enjoying it so far!

I make games at PixelCUBE Studios! Follow me @naveen_pcs
10-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricGrandpa View Post
Sweet I actually work in Toronto, but I live near Cooksville GO Station.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplymuzik3 View Post
Cool, I also live right next to it now Before I used to live there for the past 10 years.

Great game by the way. Picked it up last night and Im really enjoying it so far!
The longer I stay here the more users and developers I find are located in this little corner of the world.

So I tried the game out -- this is quite good, actually! And there are a lot of levels for what amounts to a lite version -- 60 levels is a full game all on its own in most circles. But this is a very well-done game; graphics, animations and transitions are smooth, there are nice little flourishes and filigree that add a nice degree of polish, gameplay is easy and responsive, levels get progressively more challenging and keep adding new elements and strategies. This is a pretty damn nice game, and as a freebie lite version this is probably one of the most generous I've seen. Well done indeed.

10-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Quote:
The longer I stay here the more users and developers I find are located in this little corner of the world.
Seriously, it's crazy And just wait till Ubisoft Toronto has been here a couple years, there will be even more indie devs flowing into the GTA.

I made Trainyard and Disco Zoo. You might like them!

@MattRix | @Trainyard | @Milkbag
10-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricGrandpa View Post
Seriously, it's crazy And just wait till Ubisoft Toronto has been here a couple years, there will be even more indie devs flowing into the GTA.
No doubt -- it's great though, knowing there are some great developers just a stone's throw away. I even did some musical work for Movile, a small Toronto studio, a year and change ago, which was cool. And of course Madgarden is up in London (or was it Guelph?), where I used to have relatives, and I know of at least two or three other indie studios in Toronto proper.

10-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Are any of the puzzles on this version unique to Express or are they a sampler from Trainyard? Just wondering as I have, and love, Trainyard and would definitely download this for some more puzzles.