★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Loopy Laboratory - I like it, but it is definitely far too easy

10-21-2008, 08:09 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Loopy Laboratory - I like it, but it is definitely far too easy

I'm not sure if the developer thought the puzzles were harder then they actually are, or if they intentionally made the game very easy, but either way the difficulty level is too low. I still like the game and I'm not unhappy with the purchase, even at full price, as it has been a very enjoyable experience, but I really hope they will release a new level pack with a faster ramp up in difficulty, and with much harder puzzles by the end. I'm on level 50 of the game (haven't started level 50 yet) and this one at first glance looks harder, but really there were probably only 2 or 3 levels up to this point that took me more then a few minutes to figure out. The game is fun, mind you, and I still recommend it, but the challenge is definitely a bit lacking.

If I recall correctly, Chip's Challenge on the Atari Lynx had 100 levels or some such larger number, the difficulty ramped up much faster and the levels became very challenging. I don't think I ever finished that game, though that was in part due to the use of passwords instead of a game save - argh!
10-21-2008, 08:18 PM
I think many people find the levels very easy, but on the bright side the developer has confirmed more levels, lets just keep our fingers crossed and hope they are hard as hell.

10-21-2008, 08:20 PM
ya, fortunately the dev said more levels are coming.

I agree. I very much like the game, but found many of the levels too easy. Except 46 took me a while.

arn
10-22-2008, 07:35 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Yeah - 46 was probably the toughest level. Glad to hear there will be new levels. Where did the developer say that?
10-22-2008, 07:47 AM
Haven't tried this yet, but will most likely get it soon.

On level difficulty, it's actually harder than you realize pitching the difficulty of levels in games where you have pre-planned puzzles, especially in getting the difficulty to progress as it goes along. With my game, the vast majority of the development time was taken up with creating levels, trying them, getting others to try them, tweaking them, worrying about whether they were too hard or too easy etc. In the end you get a bit obsessive about it and question all the levels to try to find the right ramp up to allow people to feel like they're progressing, whilst still providing a challenge. I'm not sure I got it 100% right, and a lot of the method comes with practice and feedback, but I think I did OK.

All our brains work in different ways and this means that difficulty tends to be peculiar to the individual user to a certain extent. The only way to really know that you've got it right is to get a heap of people testing it, which is often difficult for indie/small developers. When I got family and friends to test levels in Hiqup I was also thrown a curve ball by my 7 year old - she could whip through some of the levels that I thought were tough, where adults couldn't. I wasn't expecting that at all, but I guess it's the old dogs, new tricks adage (or something profound like that)

"Arthur & Charles Present Create & Play" now available on the App Store
iTunes - Arthur & Charles Website
10-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
Yeah - 46 was probably the toughest level. Glad to hear there will be new levels. Where did the developer say that?
he commented here

http://toucharcade.com/2008/10/21/sa...er-nanosaur-2/

arn
10-22-2008, 11:48 AM
looking forward to the new levels! only at level 17 now but I think it's great so far. Though it hasn't gotten TERRIBLY hard on me yet, I still think it's pretty enjoyable.

on an unrelated note...
the new "Portal" levels come out today on xbox 360. I loved the original game that came with the orange box. I'll probably download the new levels tonight.
costs 15 bucks and includes the original game for those who haven't tried it.
I highly recommend it for people into puzzle games.
10-22-2008, 01:24 PM
I said I was going to try it and I got it earlier. Whilst I agree that the levels are pretty easy (I think I'm about 80% of the way through after a couple of hours on and off), it's a really polished game and well worth the money. Will be good to see what new levels are added.

"Arthur & Charles Present Create & Play" now available on the App Store
iTunes - Arthur & Charles Website