★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Wooden Labyrinth 3D level editor open beta

03-12-2009, 06:56 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Wooden Labyrinth 3D level editor open beta

Hey,

The online level editor for Wooden Labyrinth 3D is now done. To stress test it and to get feedback before launching to the public, I decided to post it on TouchArcade first.

Though it is beta, it does save any new packs you make. And after the new version of the iPhone app is released, you will be able to download your levels. So fear not and create your masterpiece. More importantly, the best level packs (selected by our team) will be featured in the next update.

So, have fun creating your own levels!

here's the link http://qvik.fi/leveleditor/

(you can check out the official level packs for inspiration, try loading packs with ids 1-16)

disclaimer: Though the level packs should be safe, we cannot guarantee that during this beta test. Also, every pack you make with the editor becomes the property of the Wooden Labyrinth 3D team, and you grant us the permission to include it in the game automatically (your author name will be displayed in the pack).

Wooden Labyrinth 3D - Apple Design Award winner!
Multitask Madness - test your brain, challenge your friends!
Need quality iPhone consulting or custom applications? Check out my company's website at Qvik.fi!

Last edited by eVp; 03-12-2009 at 09:50 AM.
03-12-2009, 07:15 AM
I'm testing it right now

03-12-2009, 07:19 AM
Cool ! Its going to be very interesting.
03-12-2009, 07:28 AM
Quick first impression...

Would love to see a few things added, and a few things amended:

1.1 - An 8-point handle adjuster for re-shaping the blocks, rather than just the current four.
So rather than just one handle per corner, I'd like to see on handle on the centre-point of each side too.
This means I could easily adjust EITHER the width OR the height only by only dragging on the relevant centre-point.

1.2 - A rotate option to rotate selected walls through 90-degree increments.

2.1 - A "hit detection" set-up so that I can't inadvertently place one wall slightly on top of another.

2.2 - A potential error-checker to make sure that two high walls can't be placed so near to each other so as to not even allow the steel ball to pass between them.

2.3 - Some way of showing which hole is currently selected, similar to how the re-size handles on the walls serve a dual-purpose of not only re-sizing the wall but to also show that the wall is selected.
These same handles on a hole may initially seem misleading (incorrectly implying that you can re-size them), but I'm sure we'll quickly learn.

Thanks.

UPDATE:

I've got a couple of bugs here...

1 - I'm trying to type "20" into the height box of a low wall, but I swear it's coming out as "30" when I type it.
Both on the stage and in the actual text box.

2 - You have a hit-detection set up to stop walls being placed outside the boundary of the stage's outside wall - but it only works for the left and right walls and the bottom wall. It doesn't work for the top wall.

Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth Parachute Panic Chicken Raid
Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox

Last edited by BrettArchibald; 03-12-2009 at 07:56 AM.
03-12-2009, 07:30 AM
unable to submit
03-12-2009, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettArchibald View Post
Quick first impression...

Would love to see 2 things added, and 1 thing amended:

1 - An 8-point handle adjuster for re-shaping the blocks, rather than just the current four.
So rather than just one handle per corner, I'd like to see on handle on the centre-point of each side too.
This means I could easily adjust EITHER the width OR the height only by only dragging on the relevant centre-point.

2 - A rotate option to rotate selected walls through 90-degree increments.

3 - A "hit detection" set-up so that I can't inadvertently place one wall slightly on top of another.

Thanks.

UPDATE:

I've got a couple of bugs here...

1 - I'm trying to type "20" into the height box of a low wall, but I swear it's coming out as "30" when I type it.
Both on the stage and in the actual text box.

2 - You have a hit-detection set up to stop walls being placed outside the boundary of the stage's outside wall - but it only works for the left and right walls and the bottom wall. It doesn't work for the top wall.
The resize thing is indeed an annoyance. It does not allow you to make walls thinner than 3. Thus it replaces your 2 with a 3 and then just lets you type in the zero. Ack. Need to look into that.

There is a hit detection up north as well, it's just delayed so that you can drag new elements. I guess I should make it "non-delayed" for "non-new" elements.

Thanks for the input, I'll see what I can do. By the way, may have high and low walls overlapping. Just don't have the same height ones.

And to show you what was used to make the 150 levels so far:

It had NO resize handles. Every other click moved the wall, every other resized (from every point of it) and there was no way to know which click was going to happen!

No arrows keys to move them around, no backspace to delete. (actually it only saved partime so you had to manually add devtime and jumping enabled into the generated xml).

And mommagamehouse... I'm so sorry, but you must have started with the old version that had the crossdomain bug

Need quality iPhone consulting or custom applications? Check out my company's website at Qvik.fi!

Last edited by eVp; 03-12-2009 at 07:41 AM.
03-12-2009, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eVp View Post
...[the old version had] No arrows keys to move them around, no backspace to delete...
Aaah, I didn't know you could use the arrow keys to move things in this version... Very nice.

By the way, I've updated my earlier post about half a dozen times in the past 10 minutes, so as to avoid adding 6 new 3-word posts here one after the other!

Keep checking my earlier post for updates if you're interested.
Direct link to single post here.

03-12-2009, 08:18 AM
My first user creation:

What do you think? Too easy? Too hard? Too stupid?
Let me know...

03-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettArchibald View Post
My first user creation:

What do you think? Too easy? Too hard? Too stupid?
Let me know...
I think it looks nice and casual. I think there's a demand for less challenging levels.

03-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eVp View Post
I think it looks nice and casual. I think there's a demand for less challenging levels.
That's what you call a less challenging level ?!?!

NO WONDER