★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

"Furious Tactical" - forthcoming strategy game for iPhone/iPod touch (Developer)

10-05-2010, 12:36 PM
"Furious Tactical" - forthcoming strategy game for iPhone/iPod touch (Developer)

Hello all,

My name is Stephen and I am here representing Broken Kings (Castle Conflict). We are currently working in conjunction with a couple of other studios local to my little home town of Calgary - Big Stack Studios (Sigma, Poker Genius) and Bella Machina (featuring Sean Dunkley, whose work can be viewed at http://www.graphicrepublic.com).

We are working together on a tactical/strategy game which is currently codenamed "Furious Tactical". (That is not the final name, but I like it a lot so I kind of hope it sticks ). It is a game I have designed, primarily based off of my love for many other tactical games I have played throughout the years (Shining Force, Advanced Wars, Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced, Fire Emblem, etc.). I am taking some of the lessons I have learned from working on Castle Conflict and applying them to this title, including a general simplification of combat...

Since this is an iPhone game, I know that many users will be playing it in short bursts, so the game has been designed to be much quicker than your typical strategy game. As such, combat is very similar to Castle Conflict - once two units enter combat, the victor will be determined. As well, we want to keep the combat fast so that the users never get removed from the battle. Sean has come up with a great style for combat that I will be implementing in the very near future - but for a preview, check out this flash animation.

Oh yes, and although there are mice in that screenshot, our final theme is somewhat of a cats and dogs idea. We just didn't want to go down the typical "Fantasy Character" route - while we thought we could do interesting things with it, we felt there were more things we could do with a different skew on things.

Stay tuned to this topic, I will be posting status updates as they occur. You can also watch for updates on http://www.BrokenKings.com (which takes you to our facebook page) or http://www.youtube.com/BrokenKings.

I will also be cross-posting a number of the bigger posts in this topic to my blog, http://www.Thegazzardian.com
10-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Looks great

10-06-2010, 01:55 PM
First Multiplayer Match

Hello ladies and gents, Stephen here again.

What is going on in this action-packed screenshot, you may be asking? The answer is nice and simple - this historic JPG file is the very first multiplayer match of Furious Tactics, a gruelling match of wits between myself and Lopi!

Using Game Center, Furious Tactics will support multiplayer battles. As I type this, I must confess I am getting beat quite smartly at the moment. Somewhat disappointed in myself!

Oh, and ignore that tree. It's placeholder art made by me (thus why it's not transparent) - and by made by me, I mean stolen from Castle Conflict. It will be removed before too long and replaced with a more appropriate resource.

While - on to making a sexy battle screen now!
10-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Looking forward to take for a spin
10-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Yesterday my roommates forced me to actually celebrate my birthday instead of working so I didn't get any significant amount of work done. So today I continue work on getting something like that nice attack animation into the game.

For those who are curious what it looks like to see a game in development - here's a video of me working on it . I am coding throughout but you can watch as the attack screen evolves from a fairly simple starting point to a more complete ending. Obviously one video is too short to complete something like this, so it's not quite all there:

Youtube link | Pop Up

For those who know a bit of code and are interested in learning some of the techniques used in this video, I also have a companion blog post:

Stay tuned for more updates
10-08-2010, 03:01 PM
How didn't I notice this yet...
Looks amazing, waiting for it!
10-11-2010, 11:55 AM

Hey guys, I'm working on Multiplayer some more today. Last week I got connections established between players, and all the communication between two players. Today I'm expanding this so that up to 4 players can play online at the same time. As well, I will be handling error cases (a player disconnects, etc.)

This leads me to asking you guys questions about your preferred user experience . Let's say that you're playing an online game, and an opponent disconnects - what do you think should happen? I'm thinking of having that opponent be replaced by an AI (especially in games with more than 2 players). Do you like this, or do you think something else should happen?
10-11-2010, 01:05 PM
Either an AI should enter (but if this happens, the other player should choose how strong the AI is), or someone else can join from the waiting room. Both are fine for me.
10-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Keep the mice. Go all kinds of long patrol, badgers, etc.... Like a certain kids book series. Maybe Jacques won't notice., or if so, endorse. But you could bring it close enough to be a homage.
10-18-2010, 04:04 PM
More Units!

Alright, time for me to chime in and show what we've been up to Not all the portraits are complete, but I will show you what we have so far. We're starting with a simple contingent of 7 animal units [excluding the mobile base/fortress]:
Our staple units for the mice [from left to right]:
Archer, Foot Soldier, Worker, Cavalry, Spearman, Standard Bearer, and Wizard [Druid].

I also want to take this opportunity to show the portrait system with other planned units. Let's introduce a feline counterpart for the footsoldier:

[feline portraits provided by fellow artist and partner in crime, Cil Cheung]

Please stay tuned for more info coming this week :] !