★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Developers, the iPhone IS HD and Universal apps are consumer-friendly

10-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Developers, the iPhone IS HD and Universal apps are consumer-friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchampl View Post
Man you guys sure do live a hard life....
Maybe you should stick to buying $50 PS3 games and stop bitching and moaning.
No, I drop $80 on iOS apps a month, between my iPad and iPhone, and I have no problem paying for an iPad version if it has additional content as well as upgraded graphics. i'm not sure what your point is regarding console games.... if a developer wants to produce a $50 PS3 game, they are open to do so. PopCap just announced PvZ will be a DS title along with Mac, PC, and Xbox Live Arcade along with iPhone and iPad ("HD"). What's your point? The money's there if the game is worthy of the consumer dollar, apparently. Devs also know that a game like "Cut The Rope" would never make it as anything but a mini-game in a compliation or a downloadable (and maybe as a DS title). The iOS economy is full of opportunity, and also people who will take advantage of consumers.

In my opinion, and having just had similar issues with "Beyond Ynth" and "Across Age", iOS releases should be:

*iPhone version = $X ($0.99, $2.99, whatever)
*ALL iPad versions with equivalent features should be Universal, cost 1.5X the iPhone version
*iPad versions with additional content/features should be a separate product and marketed as such. Price is then as dev warrants relative to the work put in over a standard iPad/iPhone version.

And the only way devs will understand why people aren't buying an iPad version of a game/app that was released 2 weeks earlier on the iPhone is if people post on here to say they disapprove of this sales model. Otherwise, it looks like the iPad is a less attractive market, which isn't true. I would gladly pay extra for a Universal app (within reason) over a iPhone-only app, but I dont feel it's right to then make the iPad version substantially more expensive with graphic quality being the only differentiation between the versions.

I also hate it when music artists put out an album, then 6 months later a "Collector's Edition" with a DVD, and then 4 months after that a "USA Tour Edition" with an additional song and 3 live tracks. But they know the fans, especially the hardcore, will buy it again and again. I'm not interested in seeing the game industry treat iOS releases similarly. It feels like taking advantage of the fanbase with music, and it feels like it even more so with iOS game releases, because you're usually not getting a whole lot more for the money, and it's usually 3-4 times more money you're asked to shell out. I'm really frustrated that Across Age is going to be re-re-released in a "Retina Graphics" edition (Across Age "DX" or something), because I think that's taking this issue to the extreme. A $1 IAP upgrade for retina graphics is as far as I can allow myself to consider going. Otherwise, the standard ones were quite acceptable, thanks FDG. If they really wanted to make some money they'd wrap that "bonus" dungeon from the iPad version into the iPhone as well as an IAP, but it's not enough to entice me to pay $3 more over the iPhone version, and $7 more for the privledge of owning BOTH versions.

By the way, if people stick to buying $50 PS3 games, that's a lot of $4-6 Universal apps that could be picked up instead. I bet Chillingo and a lot of the other "little guys" would rather see that money. It's theirs for the taking, if they do things the right way.

Now I'm going to to back to Cut The Rope, iPhone edition, which scales up quite nicely on my iPad, by the way.

<sorry, started this before the request to move the discussion, although I think discussions of price are very much on-topic regarding a game, but I understand there are advertisers to make comfortable as well>

Last edited by jmelrose; 10-06-2010 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Apology for posting post-request
10-06-2010, 09:43 AM
Ok, as I said, no more price discussion in the thread. So made a new thread of your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelrose View Post
but I understand there are advertisers to make comfortable as well
WTH are you even talking about here?

10-06-2010, 09:50 AM
I agree, I hate EA due to there low amount of app updates, And when they do want to release an update they just release a separate Deluxe version without fixing bugs in the previous version. This happened with Sim City and I know this is kind of different but FIFA11 isn't really much better then FIFA10. EA are just in it for the money.

Sincerely,
Oliver Cooksey
10-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olliewollie View Post
EA are just in it for the money.
Who isn't? Even this site isn't doing it from the goodness of one's heart. There's dollars to be chased, and that means there's going to be bias to protect the bottom line.

How this ties into the Universal app is that devs would make MORE money from people like myself (and others, it sounds like) because we'd spend more on a Universal app than only the cheaper, iPhone-only version. I don't have an issue with devs looking to make money, but they should consider Universal apps as being a way to up-sell, rather than going for the seperate (comparatively way) higher-priced product with the iPad version

Last edited by jmelrose; 10-06-2010 at 10:00 AM.
10-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Who isn't?
What I ment is that I don't think they really care what there consumers buy, all they want is the cash at the end of the day. They could get away with selling a game called "MOH" and it have nothing but a white screen (Even though apple wouldn't allow it). They wouldn't care.

Sincerely,
Oliver Cooksey
10-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Who isn't? Even this site isn't doing it from the goodness of one's heart. There's dollars to be chased, and that means there's going to be bias to protect the bottom line.
Lemme repeat my question again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNoSuperMan View Post
Anyways, I actually do know what you're talking about here. I just wanted to confirm thats what you meant. Lemme try and make you explain it as simply as I can..

- I'm a voluntary mod here. I dont get paid from TA. Not even a single penny. Even if they ever want to pay me, I'll refuse it. So I have no financial benefit here.

- That post of mine asking you guys to stop bitching was mine only Not influenced by any of the admins (who are financial beneficiaries of this site). All of them are US based so they prolly werent even awake at that time.

- So far no one (site admins) has ever asked me to ignore/favor a specific dev.

- So all your claims of bias on TA forums are baseless and absolutely ridiculous. What I posted there was what I thought is right IMO uninfluenced by anything financial. Its a game thread. I just tried to remove the off topic convo from it. Not even stopped anyone to discuss it. Just asked you guys to create a new thread and discuss there instead. Please think before posting crap like that.

- And just as a fun fact, I actually infracted someone (not gonna name him/it/them) who is an active sponsor of the site for quite some time now. Even threatened them of a ban if they are found breaking the rule again. They replied that they'll talk to arn and resolve the matter soon. Months later, I never got to hear anything from arn or that 'someone' again. Had they wanted, they could simply asked me to ignore that 'someone' to protect their sponsors. If that doesnt prove to you that this site is 100% unbiased, I dont even know what to think of you. The only bias I have seen on this site is towards devs who make good iOS games. And thats the bias I dont mind them having.

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 10-06-2010 at 10:35 AM.
10-06-2010, 10:49 AM
What i most concerned about is why iPad games should cost more that iPhone versions in the first place? Most of them got retina support, which is very close to iPad resolution, so it's clear than no additional work going on here. I don't mind buying the game 2nd time on different device if it's at least the same price (and i don't care if it's not 0.99, but 1.99 or 2.99 each as long as it's the same price), which is not the case here.
10-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Quote:
What I'm talking about is that having forum posters critiquing every dev's pricing for iPad releases doesn't make for a very dev-friendly environment (at least for the ones being critiqued). Having non-dev friendly boards doesn't inspire devs to spend advertising dollars at those forums.

Quote:
YA, WHY THA F CANT THEY GO UNIVERSAL???? I PAYED 99CENTS FOR THE APP ALREADY. NINETY NINE CENTS!!!!!!!

HOW DARE YOU TRY AND CHARGE ME MORE FOR THE IPAD VERSION???!?!?!??!?

GIMME THE IPAD VERSION FOR FREE YOU GREEDY DEVS

==
Enough of price discussion here. If you want to bitch more about how these greedy devs are stealing your money (99cents. For an awesome with perfect score from all reviewers. Seriously. Seriously?), please create a new thread in General Games discussion section. There's no point in polluting all the iPad threads whenever something gets a new HD version instead of going universal.

You posted this remark in the "CtS" thread about people criticizing the pricing scheme of these game releases while commenting that a game at 0.99 is beyond reproach (and that people are ridiculous are doing so). (It seems everyone complaining sounds to you like the all-caps rant that I can't see elsewhere in the thread, so I can only assume you wrote it yourself.)

For this game, the pricing is more reasonable, but would you make the same statement about Across Age, where they have priced the "HD" at $7, and the regular iPhone version is $4? Granted, neither are truely bank-breakers (is anything on the App store?) but how much more consumer-friendly would it be to say, upon release, "iPad/Universal version coming soon" and if, the dev doesn't do that, make the Universal the "regular" and then re-release the iPhone version as an "SD" version? Anyone buying after the release of both versions would still have the option to get the cheaper iPhone version and the iPad owners would have a dual-platform version that doesn't make them feel like the dev held out just to make owners double-dip. After all, there is no guarantee an iPad version is coming out, so many dual-device owners buy with that in mind.

In the meantime, I think that people who would have bought a game as a Universal edition at a higher price should have the freedom to communicate that to the dev in the discussion thread so they can see where they are losing business.

My point regarding advertising is that FDG and Chillingo, both being site advertisers, I'm sure appreciate that their pricing policies are not being discussed in forums that might impact sales of their games. By putting the discussion in a totally unrelated forum, they may choose to educate themselves on why consumers aren't interested in the HD releases as much, or they may choose to be blissfully ignorant. I know other developers are "guilty" of this way of releasing games and don't meant to paint those two devs as evil or anything. I have bought PLENTY from each of them. But I've still felt burned by their pricing practices and I've tired of it. They can choose what to do about the situation. In the meantime, apparently the moderation of the site would prefer game-specific pricing policies and issues be discussed in a general forum, and I'll try to abide by that, but I disapprove of it as a forum discussion policy. It isn't like I posted the juvenile rant generated by the moderator with the intention of belittling what should be a legitimate discussion regarding iOS gaming. I'm 38, I've spent a TON (literally $800+) of money both in the app store and by clicking through ads on this site, and I don't feel like a legitimate frustration should be summarized in such a manner.

Last edited by jmelrose; 10-06-2010 at 11:25 AM.
10-06-2010, 11:51 AM
<Edited to remove response to snarky (and now deleted) post from MidianGTX>

Thanks to ImNoSuperman for his feedback, although I'd rather hoped to be hearing from some developers so perhaps I can understand how they price iOS releases, as that might help people understand and then maybe posts criticizing an iPad release days after the iPhone release with no indication that an iPad version was coming might become less commonplace. They seem to be on here often enough to promote the products they offer.

Last edited by jmelrose; 10-06-2010 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Removed snarky reply to other snarky post
10-06-2010, 12:05 PM
It wasn't a bad move by IMNS to break the pricing debate out to a different thread, as all too often threads get completely railroaded by price discussion or other barely relevant complaints when all most people want to do is discuss the game itself, how to beat a certain level, etc.

As far as your suspicions about advertisers, you can see our advertising and editorial policies here: http://toucharcade.com/toucharcade-a...rial-policies/

If you want to read more about why developers prefer to release individual apps, check out this thread: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=67511