★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Become an ancient warrior with the power of Shunpo, the Straw Hat Samurai! The Aka-Ryu warlord is expanding his evil empire, straight into your land. If he overtakes your fort in the mountain pass, your kingdom is sushi. Your army is approaching, but can't make it in time - you have to hold off the approaching enemy until your reinforcements arrive.

With simple and intuitive controls, just swipe across the screen with your finger and compel the Samurai to slash his sword in an indefensible Shunpo attack! Earn bonus points by aiming for the head and watch as the enemy drone is overtaken and neutralized.

As you advance along the game, you will earn a bow and arrow, which can be easily drawn and shot with 2 quick touches - one on the Samurai to hold the bow, and a second swipe to aim and power the bow. Lift the second finger momentarily to shoot, and quickly re-draw, or lift both to stash the bow and be ready for a quick slash on the approaching enemy guard.

With enticing visuals and captivating theme music this game is quickly addictive and entertaining. You will find yourself irresistibly drawn to beheading Aka-Ryu warriors, shooting the sentinel guards out of reach in their tower with your bow and dodging spear-laden mad men with your slicing Katana sword attacks!

Straw Hat Samurai is simple, fun, and captivating a perfect combination for this high-caliber samurai-fighting action game.
10-07-2010, 05:57 AM
Nice post. But i foresee the price dropping to $0.99...
Just compare this to Knight Rush...

My Favourite iPhone Games
Plunderland (Best Concept) | Paper Ninja (Best Slash Action) | Pocket God (Best God) | Knight Rush (Best Side-Scroller) | Infinity Blade (Best Graphic) | Angry Bird (Best $ spent) | Cut the Ropes (Best Puzzle)

10-07-2010, 06:40 AM
How is this?

Invaders Must Die.
10-07-2010, 07:44 AM
I love the flash version from Kongregate, but it looks like the same game. I hate buying games I could just play for free.

"I have nothing to say, and I'm saying it" - John Cage
Plus+ ID= Maythius

Game Center: Maythius
10-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Whoa!
There was a thread when this forum was just growing about this game and how it should be ported. It's a perfect fit.

I recommend trying the online version. The controls should be perfect for iDevices. I'm really thinking about getting this one.
10-07-2010, 01:25 PM
You guys are awesome!

Thank you, everyone, for your interest and support!

We sincerely appreciate everyone who's a fan of this game, as this has been a labor of love for us, as we're huge fans of the game. Originally, we were planning on building our own made-just-for-iPhone game concept with similar game play. When we found out that someone had stolen this flash game and hacked together a really BAD (not to mention illegal!) implementation of Straw Hat Samurai for iPhone, we changed our mind and decided to instead partner with Luther Chan (Lut!), who originally developed the flash game and was already interested in porting it to the iPhone. It seemed to be a perfect fit!

So, yes, this is a direct port of the flash game, and we know that there are MANY flash game direct ports in the App Store, and that a lot of them are just banged together and don't really belong there! We didn't want to JUST be another flash port, this game is way too cool and deserves better!!!

We have worked very hard to make some very notable improvements, modifications and design changes to it to support the multi-touch interface and improve it overall. For instance, you can very quickly and naturally switch between the slash and arrow modes (touch the Samurai with one finger and with a second finger, touch and swipe to draw and aim the bow), which makes it much easier to fight some of the enemies that are more difficult to slash. We have also implemented an entirely new sound and music engine that will also be improving over time as well.

Additionally (and this is behind the scenes), we have also paved the way to be able to implement exciting and new features for this title with future updates. Ideas such as... multiplayer modes (hopefully over bluetooth, WiFi and through the Game Center), interesting and new weapons for both the Samurai and the enemies, etc. There has been a lot of work put into this release, and if nothing else, we really just want you enjoy it!

We feel that $2.99 is a fair price point considering that we have spent literally months redeveloping and rebuilding it from the ground up for the Apple iOS platform in native Objective C, and this price will allow us to continue to develop the title and provide regular updates for the game. Believe me, at this price we'll be lucky to break even for the amount of time and work that we put into the game, but like I said above, we didn't build it to get rich, we built this because we're huge fans!

If you strongly feel that $2.99 is too high, and are patient, we will periodically put it on sale and provide opportunities for free downloads from time to time.

For now, first one to jump on these wins! Here's a few free download codes:

AR3M79XX4EF4
9XFJ3ANPYFYW
MYXKE6XJ3XP9

Enjoy the game, and thanks for your support!

Please look for us online, too:

http://www.StrawHatSamurai.com
Twitter @StrawHatSamurai
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/strawhatsamurai

Nate Johnson
Conquest Apps
nate@conquestapps.com

Last edited by skylennard; 10-07-2010 at 01:38 PM.
10-07-2010, 01:27 PM
I got AR3M79XX4EF4, thanks! Will write a review later in the day.

Best App Site: FreeMyApps - Redeem paid apps for free on your iOS device!
10-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Awesome!!! I managed to grab MYXKE6XJ3XP9 Thanks alot! the game looks great!

Currently Enjoying: BUG HEROES 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Ninny speaks the truth.