★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: POWDER (free rogue game, with a few twists)

10-08-2010, 10:08 AM
POWDER (free rogue game, with a few twists)

POWDER is a fast-playing turn-based dungeon crawl in the roguelike-tradition.

Years of polish have refined this hack-and-slash adventure into one of the most approachable examples of the roguelike genre.

My take:

price : free up to lvl 15, 10usd to progress further. (in app purchase) (I've never ever reached lvl 15 no matter how hard I try, so most people wouldn't need to pay. But for such a great game I paid the 10usd anyway as "donation)

My take on the game: basically it's a rogue game, originally made for GBA now potted to iPhone. It's everything like rogue from the wands to the scrolls to the randomized dungeon and item stats. With a lil extra kick. U get to learn skills and spells when you level up! So in many ways it's like turn based diablo! It's free too! Get past the graphics and you'll find it's a great game!

I been playing this game for literally two years now, on windows mobile, and now on iPhone. Am surprised noone took notice of this game, thought i'd give it some exposure. Learning curve is a lil steep unless you're a rogue gamer but even if you're not like me, u learn after 4-5 tries.

Granted price is steep to go beyond lvl 15, but in two years I have only gotten past 15 once. Oh yea when I say lvl 15 I mean dungeon lvl, not player lvl, the restrictions.

here is the wiki that will help u along, it's huge, cuz the gameplY is just that big! I suggest trying without the wiki first. I only found the wiki after a year playing the game anyway and I did fine.

http://armoredtactics.com/powder/index.php/Main_Page

And here is the download link for the game

http://appshopper.com/link/powder

Appshopper link to the game with screenshot. Sorry am new to forum don't know how to link everything as I see how everyone does

http://appshopper.com/games/powder

Thats it. Just sharing my fav rogue game in terms of gameplay.

Feel free to ask questions, I'll try to help newbies along.
10-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Game Impressions

A quick guide to Powder for those who want to get started without reading wiki.

I'm assuming u know what rogue is and about those identifiying items etc. So I'll just touch on the skills and spells and gods.

Basically when u lvl up you can choose which deity to follow. Following a particular deity when u lvl, will grant u certain skills or spells and add certain amount of hp and mana depending in which deity you choose.

When the deity grants you a skill or spell, and u find it useless, simply "forget" the skill or spell. To do so u must use the forget button. If it's not on your screen, go to menu in game, and you'll find it in the list of actions.

U can create buttons from this in game menu also for frequently used actions/skills/spells

Bear in mind u can onli worship a deity if u please him. Like for the barbarian god, he doesn't like it when u use spells. As you go along keep in mind you can never keep all the gods happy as some god's likes are another's dislike. So you'll alwAys end up making someone angry. And angry gods tend to punish u from time to time. Happy gods likewise reward u randomly from time to time.

More details in the wiki. Have fun!

10-08-2010, 10:16 AM
People had been discussing the game here:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=52667

I suggest you copy your post over.
10-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Might as well link you to the original discussion from 6 months back since you're new here:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...ghlight=powder

The consensus was that it'd been a rushed port that didn't do much to take advantage of the iPhone/iPod touch platform, and that it's full-game pricing scheme was shall we say, optimistic.

I have a copy of POWDER of course, along with all the other roguelikes currently available in the app store (as well as some that have not yet made it into the store ) Personally I think it's design has been *so* tailored for the GBA that it just doesn't play well on the iPhone.

EDIT- whoops, Squeaker beat me to the thread link!

--- ChronoSoft ---
Support your roguelikes! Play Rogue Touch today!
Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demons Reach --- Work in progress! Follow us on Twitter!
10-08-2010, 10:22 AM
Yeah, I remember this being on a thread way back. This game needs some fixing.
10-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Ah I'm so sorry. I did do a search for "powder"
But didn't get anything so thought wasn't posted before. I guess I should have searched POWDER instead of powder. My bad. Sorry guys
10-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderData View Post
I have a copy of POWDER of course, along with all the other roguelikes currently available in the app store (as well as some that have not yet made it into the store ) Personally I think it's design has been *so* tailored for the GBA that it just doesn't play well on the iPhone.
Definitely this. Have it on my iPhone, but don't play it much since it plays so much better on my DS.

Despite this, I'd recommend anyone even remotely interested in roguelikes to snag it (it's free up to level 15) and if you don't have Rogue Touch now is the time, it's on sale for a buck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
10-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Oh hey commander data aren't u the developer for rogue touch!? Love it. Have all the rogue like games on my phone including rogue touch. My wish list is rogue touch and powder merging. xD
10-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronic View Post
Oh hey commander data aren't u the developer for rogue touch!? Love it. Have all the rogue like games on my phone including rogue touch. My wish list is rogue touch and powder merging. xD
You got me! Hehe, Maybe I can talk to Jeff Lait about teaming up on that one someday! Would like to see a lot of other ports on the iPhone, and hopefully be a part of a few more too. Lots of people still dying for Angband and such

PS-Drelbs- Thanks for the sale price mention on Rogue Touch! I was trying to be modest and not shout about it in the forums... rather let kind people like you bring it up instead

Back to Powder, the game itself is certainly great, it's just this specific implementation that was a letdown. Obviously you see the potential for what "could be" as well, if care was taken to customize it to the iPhone. Right now it feels too clunky... sort of like trying to play Rogue with the iPhone software keyboard (or that gesture based one- makes me want to throw my iDevice against a wall!)

--- ChronoSoft ---
Support your roguelikes! Play Rogue Touch today!
Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demons Reach --- Work in progress! Follow us on Twitter!