★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: cogniflame
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 16.0 MB
  • Version: 1.2
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 4 (1)
App description: Flingy the robot has fallen from his home in the sky!

Propelled by his jetpack, Flingy must swing around spheres to get back to his beloved Mrs Flingy-- but hes clumsy and needs you to control his grapple!

Save Flingy from falling or get a super powerful fling using the new jets button!

Features:

- Novel physics-based gameplay
- Rockets, timed spheres, and more
- Multiple levels with continuous art
- Original music for each level
- Help guide with video and images
- Post scores to Facebook and Twitter
- OpenFeint enabled

Website and Support: http://flingy.cogniflame.com
Follow Flingy on Twitter: http://twitter.com/flingyrobot
Become a fan on Facebook: http://fb.me/flingy

We love feedback! What improvements or additions would you like to see? feedback@cogniflame.com

goiMot's comments:

10-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Whoa, that trailer is impressive. Nice job.

10-09-2010, 08:58 PM
The preview looks awesome. I'm almost tempted in getting this but I rather wait for a couple of impressions first.
10-09-2010, 09:51 PM
The icon is worth a buck. Giving this one a try.
10-09-2010, 11:27 PM
Game Impressions

Unfortunately, unless I'm missing something, this game appears to be broken at the core design stage. Once you lose upward momentum there doesn't appear to be any mechanic to regain it. Giving the player no option except to end almost every single game with a suicide does not strike me as very clever game design.
10-10-2010, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Unfortunately, unless I'm missing something, this game appears to be broken at the core design stage. Once you lose upward momentum there doesn't appear to be any mechanic to regain it. Giving the player no option except to end almost every single game with a suicide does not strike me as very clever game design.
Hi Gabrien - Paul from Cogniflame here - part of the learning curve is learning how to keep Flingy's momentum up, so yes if he loses it entirely there's a chance you'll not be able to proceed.

We are implementing a couple of features in forthcoming releases as alternatives to just stalling though, including some powerups and new points that will give you a bit of a leg up if you're really stuck. You might also like to know that the very next version (currently in development and slated for release in a couple of weeks) adds some more guidance at low levels as well as amping up the boosts some to give you more bonus momentum :-) Judging by some of the scores coming in to Open Feint some folks are getting pretty high already which we're v. pleased to see.

Thanks for your feedback - our aim is to keep evolving Flingy based on this sort of info so it's very valuable to us and we really appreciate it. Thanks also for everyone's nice comments on the vid!

Cheers, Paul..

Last edited by cogniflame; 10-10-2010 at 06:55 AM.
10-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Giving the player no option except to end almost every single game with a suicide does not strike me as very clever game design.
It's not unusual for the player to die in the end. That's how Doodle Jump works for instance. I can see their design dilemma. What should they do if you don't have enough momentum to continue? Maybe just poof your character into nothingness, with an appropriate message, and bring up a restart menu.
10-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrotran View Post
It's not unusual for the player to die in the end. That's how Doodle Jump works for instance. I can see their design dilemma. What should they do if you don't have enough momentum to continue? Maybe just poof your character into nothingness, with an appropriate message, and bring up a restart menu.
One option we're looking at, rather than just 'dangle' if you lose your momentum, is to eventually (after 'n' seconds) turn the point you're attached to into one of the countdown points, which will eventually 'poof' into nothingness and you'll die. We're going to counter that with being able to have a pick up that may help you (boost, helicopter hat or similar). You're right though that we didn't want to make the game too easy or with no ramp-up curve, but it's something we'll continue to tweak with input from folks such as yourselves
10-13-2010, 11:21 PM
sneak peak :-)

Hi - we're submitting v1.1 of Flingy today (fingers crossed!). Thought I'd nab a quick screenshot as a bit of a sneak preview.

Will update the full list of changes once the new version is out, but one update includes a guide to the best flinging points as well as bigger boosts and boost bonuses. More soon

Can you help Flingy to get back home? http://flingy.cogniflame.com/itunes
10-13-2010, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the update. Looking foward to it.