★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

It's GAME OVER for Tim Langdell and his Edge trolling.

10-09-2010, 10:24 PM
It's GAME OVER for Tim Langdell and his Edge trolling.

Today Judge William Alsup delivered final judgment in the case of Edge Games v EA/DICE.

It is as agreed between the parties as I posted above.
- everything decided in favour of EA/DICE (well, very nearly)
- the five trademarks at issue are cancelled
- no admission or finding of wrongdoing
- no declaration against any of Langdell's common law rights
-no award of costs between parties

As I expected, he has gone a little beyond the agreed judgment and made a further order that:

1) a copy of the motion denying the preliminary injunction (the one that detailed the allegations of fraud) be delivered to the USPTO (this pretty well guarantees that Langdell's current application for a trademark for "Edge" covering videogames will be denied, and that all of Langdell's past and future activities with the USPTO will be carefully scrutinised)

2) Langdell himself (or his companies) must deliver a copy of that order and the final judgment to ALL HIS CURRENT LICENSEES by October 15th, thus giving them an open goal to shoot into with any claims they have.

Wonderful outcome, and all respect to the judge in this case.

I expect there to be a lot of activity in the next few weeks and months as a result of this bothin the US and elsewhere.

That second order is a work of judicial genius!
I just re-read the final judgment and order in case I missed something.

Guess what - I did miss something.

The final judgment is CONDITIONAL ON the parties complying with the order. And the only part of the order binding on the parties is that on Langdell to notify his own fraud to his own licensees.

In short, if Langdell fails to notify his licensees that he is a fraud (that's what it amounts to) by 15th October then the judgment in the settlement will fail and he will face an immediate fraud deposition before the court.

That judge is damn good.
Today a giant multinational cooperation stomped all over a small time guy, and I couldn't be happier.

10-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Hell yes!

Gamertag - dominator246
10-09-2010, 11:06 PM
Haha Watch this, has all csi miami corny one liners: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sarY...515E47C121F26F

Part of the Beta Tester Alliance
10-09-2010, 11:40 PM
In times like this I like to quote Pvt Hudson, from Aliens. The finest space marine mankind has ever known:

"Well that's great. That's just ****in' great, man. Now what the **** are we supposed to do? We're in some real pretty shit now, man. . . ."

"Are you finished?"

That's it, man! Game over, man! Game over! What the **** are we gonna do now?! What are we gonna do?!"