★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

It's crazy how cheap idevice games are

10-10-2010, 01:38 AM
It's crazy how cheap idevice games are

Even by big time companies. On top of that there are constant price drops and free promotions. How so those companies even make money or justify developing for it. If they give it out even when they update it they can't Harte those people again can they? So whats the point of dropping price so low or giving the game out? I mean you can get a full ragman 2 game on iPhone or iPad for 5 bucks on app store when even a used copy at gamestop for any system will probably cost 8. So why do people even use wiiware or pan network and steam when you got the app store (I'm talking about the people who have multiple systems or devices). Why is it so cheap compared to steam or wiiware, psn, etc.? And whats crazy is the amounts of good games like full blown ragman 2, a full blown settlers game that goes for 3 to 5 times more for pc or other platforms, and not just mini games but long fps for example as well Heck ff1 sells for way more on psp for example. Also what is up with people talking trash about I pad games when most psp and ds games at full prices not even network games are 30 dollar mini games. Look at those cooking mania and such games on ds.
10-10-2010, 01:58 AM
Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin
There are several reasons:

1) There are lots of "coffeebreak" style games which are similar in nature to flash games. They are not fully-fleshed out, 20-60 hour games like many console or handheld games. Therefore, the price is not the same as a game that would be that long and well-developed. There are not many devs from PSN or Steam on the appstore because their games are much more complex, and they would be harder to design especially for the controls and display of the iDevice.

2) Ports from other systems can be sold for much lower because:
2a) They require no new content or development, just porting/switching over code
2b) Digital distribution over costly physical
2c) The majority of advertising costs nothing at all-- it's all word-of-mouth on places such as TouchArcade. Many ports are games which already have branding and therefore do not need additional advertising to generate sales.
2d) Related to 2c, one could even suggest that some ports are of revivals of old games which are no longer generating sales (such as doom, for example, or the upcoming Final Fantasy Tactics port).
2e) Many indie developers in the App Store market are teams of less than 10 or even 5 people-- there is a lot of money saved on administration and other bureaucracy.

i'm a pretty kitty cat

10-10-2010, 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMuffin;
There are several reasons:

1) There are lots of "coffeebreak" style games which are similar in nature to flash games. They are not fully-fleshed out, 20-60 hour games like many console or handheld games. Therefore, the price is not the same as a game that would be that long and well-developed. There are not many devs from PSN or Steam on the appstore because their games are much more complex, and they would be harder to design especially for the controls and display of the iDevice.

2) Ports from other systems can be sold for much lower because:
2a) They require no new content or development, just porting/switching over code
2b) Digital distribution over costly physical
2c) The majority of advertising costs nothing at all-- it's all word-of-mouth on places such as TouchArcade. Many ports are games which already have branding and therefore do not need additional advertising to generate sales.
2d) Related to 2c, one could even suggest that some ports are of revivals of old games which are no longer generating sales (such as doom, for example, or the upcoming Final Fantasy Tactics port).
2e) Many indie developers in the App Store market are teams of less than 10 or even 5 people-- there is a lot of money saved on administration and other bureaucracy.
Do you really think stuff on steam that is indie is of higher quality and made up of larger dev teams than the app store? You weren't talking about retail games but a tuff you see on steam indie section, wiiware and pan network, plus there are big time devs on app store so there is no reason try cant port or makae those same pan network games on app store they just mostly seem not to want to. But in regards to steam, I mean what does the indie steam section have that is good outside machinarium? It pretty much has the same stuff as the app store and in much less quality. Like zombies vs plants and caster and crayon physics deluxe all of which are also on iPad. Plus iPad has stuff like warpgate and settlers which mimic real retail titles not steam indie stuff at a fraction of price.

Look at all the crappy psp and ds games constantly coming out for 30 bucks a piece, outside of the top 8 games for both devices wouldn't you choose the top app store games over the rest?
10-10-2010, 02:15 AM
I mean how are all those short nippy icon games like batman and all those nippy icon games for psp like cladun any better than stuff like pico pico quest on the iPad at a fraction of even the psp pxn network price?

Oh and regarding small dev studios the amiga game section was made up of like 1 to 3 people and in my opinion and the opinion of many up to this day the game selection overall is better than snes or gensis of that era. So how does the fact that iPad or iPhone games are made up of small dev studios imply they can't be more innovative and/or just as good?
10-10-2010, 02:17 AM
Common sense, c'mon

Games aren't that cheap. You pay $0.99, and get a $0.99 experience. How do developers make money when apps are so cheap? There are more than 200 million i-devices around the world. Apps go on sale because at $3.99 you will only get people that really want your game. When you drop it to $0.99 you will get the semi-curious, the cheap, and the people that were thinking about it but never made purchase. When an app goes free it gains user reviews and becomes more publicized. Most of the time the apps that drop to free are iAd supported which help some developers make much more than outright selling it.

Price comparison-----$$$$$$$$$$
A used ps2 game like GOD OF WAR 2 goes for about $10-$15. Some go for $5. Although there have been some ps2 ports like P.O.P. And Rayman, most games on the app store pale in comparison to the console-experience of even the old ps2. Before I get attacked for that statement, be assured I am aware of great titles like chaos ring, and MC2. However, if I buy medal of honor: European assault (ps2) for $7.99 and buy spiderman by gameloft for the same price, M.O.H. would be the better choice. As close as some of these games come to a console experience, they still aren't there yet. UNREAL and RAGE engines will change that soon, along with the prices.
10-10-2010, 02:19 AM
Send a message via AIM to SkyMuffin Send a message via Yahoo to SkyMuffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirolak26 View Post
Do you really think stuff on steam that is indie is of higher quality and made up of larger dev teams than the app store?
Yes, right now it is simply by virtue of age-- the appstore is extremely young compared to the PC market, and the majority of strong titles on the appstore have been ports from other systems.
Quote:
But in regards to steam, I mean what does the indie steam section have that is good outside machinarium?
Garry's Mod, vvvvvv, Puzzle Quest 1+2, Audiosurf, and Beat Hazard, to name a few. All you have to do is go to the "under 10$" section and you can find tons of good indie titles.

Incidentally, many of the titles here, such as vvvvv and PQ, have been ported to the appstore. Others, such as Broken Sword, lots of Sega Genesis games, and others, have also been ported. People have seen the value of the appstore as a potential market, but yes, they have been slow to adapt to it.
Quote:
Look at all the crappy psp and ds games constantly coming out for 30 bucks a piece, outside of the top 8 games for both devices wouldn't you choose the top app store games over the rest?
No, I wouldn't, because the DS and PSP are more serious, dedicated gaming devices which require many hours of investment. The iDevice, on the other hand, is an extremely mobile market where the majority of games are for people who just have 5-10 minutes here and there to kill. It's also lacking in support from large companies and less casual titles because, as I said earlier, it's an extremely young market.

i'm a pretty kitty cat

Last edited by SkyMuffin; 10-10-2010 at 02:21 AM.
10-10-2010, 02:41 AM
But wouldn't you at least admit that the a
P store is of way higher quality than psp home brew stuff and most of psp shovel ware and even be better totally in some genres? For example I am a big time pc gamer and like real time strategy games like settlers, and modern warfare and arch are real gamesnot just coffee break stuff and you don't even have a single good rts game on psp and not even a single great one on ds either. Or what about racing games, wouldn't you rather play them with tilt like a real steering wheel than on psp or ds? Heck jet stunt cars is a real game too better than any driving or racing game on psp or ds IMO and its only like 3 bucks and it has many level and challenges. Oh yea and remember how short the first god of war for psp was? Or how crappy the psp gran truism was compared to the ps2 ones or how crappy the first metal heat for psp was compared to the ps2 ones?oh and what about platformers? How can the 2d psp platformers match these app store ones:

Soosiz, rolando, castle of magic, ghosts and goblins, Giana sisters, etc. Psp has almost no 2d platformers and hardly and 3d ones too. And wouldn't you also say most of the psp rpg section is made up of typical Japanese rpg games no better an inotia 2 or zenonia outside maybe ys or afew e what is so good on the psp? I had one and never played anything be aide emulation on it as most people do just look T it's software sales.
10-10-2010, 02:44 AM
Heck rimelands is probably both longer and better than the psp dungeons and
Dragons game. And psp is mostly made up of ports too or ps2 spinoffs at least the app store has unique stuff. And wouldn't you say the app store does have hardcore games (crystal war and jet stunt cars for example being very challenging) and real or long games as well? Even though they are a minority on the store if you really look for them they are there no?
10-10-2010, 02:57 AM
IMO playing pizza boy was more fun than the new Mario bros on ds which was also incredibly short, but not more fun than the new Mario bros wii. Anyone agree. I'm talking about on iPad though whet ur fingers don't get in way of game. And wouldn't you say dungeon hunter HD or underworlds are better than dungeon explorer 1 or 2 on psp? And how are the ds or psp much more expensive btw Chinatown wars games any better than the iphone or iPad versions? Why the low price for arguably even superior games?

Last edited by Stirolak26; 10-10-2010 at 03:19 AM.
10-10-2010, 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMuffin;
Yes, right now it is simply by virtue of age-- the appstore is extremely young compared to the PC market, and the majority of strong titles on the appstore have been ports from other systems. Garry's Mod, vvvvvv, Puzzle Quest 1+2, Audiosurf, and Beat Hazard, to name a few. All you have to do is go to the "under 10$" section and you can find tons of good indie titles.

Incidentally, many of the titles here, such as vvvvv and PQ, have been ported to the appstore. Others, such as Broken Sword, lots of Sega Genesis games, and others, have also been ported. People have seen the value of the appstore as a potential market, but yes, they have been slow to adapt to it.No, I wouldn't, because the DS and PSP are more serious, dedicated gaming devices which require many hours of investment. The iDevice, on the other hand, is an extremely mobile market where the majority of games are for people who just have 5-10 minutes here and there to kill. It's also lacking in support from large companies and less casual titles because, as I said earlier, it's an extremely young market.
I also want to respond to that last point. I agree with that in terms of iPhone gaming but not iPad. iPad offers much better of a gaming experience, more horsepower, and ppl use it at long periods of time at a time.