★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Anyone have experience working with Chillingo or other publishers?

10-12-2010, 05:40 AM
Anyone have experience working with Chillingo or other publishers?

Anyone have experience working with Chillingo specifically?

We were contacted by them and we're basically a really small indie studio that has never worked with any publishers. Any advice?
10-12-2010, 08:49 AM
They are quite the accomplished team.

10-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Yea we were pretty excited and surprised they contacted us but then we did research and got some mixed reviews. So now we're unsure.

Anybody here worked with them? Was it good or bad? How much do publisher's take and would you recommend working with one?
10-12-2010, 09:26 AM
I've heard more than a few stories of Chillingo emailing developers out of the blue offering to publish their games. Always seemed kind of strange to me to make offers like that without even playing your game.
10-12-2010, 10:01 AM
How does it work when a publisher handles a game in the Appstore? Is it usually revenue sharing or an upfront payment?

Anyone here who has used a 3rd party publisher?

Follow on Twitter for Promo Codes and News!
10-12-2010, 10:19 AM
I'd think that an emailed "offer to publish" based on video or screenshots is little more than a letter of intent - they're not yet legally committing themselves to anything, and in any event, the developer is the one that does the lion's share of the work, and Chillingo would have final say over when the game is "good enough" to publish - a decision which would be based on playing the game.

On a related note, I suspect that all things being equal, being featured on Touch Arcade gives an app a much bigger leg up than being affiliated with a company like Chillingo. You guys could probably make money hand over fist by becoming an actual publisher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
I've heard more than a few stories of Chillingo emailing developers out of the blue offering to publish their games. Always seemed kind of strange to me to make offers like that without even playing your game.
10-12-2010, 10:55 AM
I've also been contacted by them, they seem like a cool bunch, I'm polishing up my demo for them.

They seem to have all the right contacts to help publicize games, and they recently published Cut the Rope and Angry Birds.
10-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Seems like a pretty big conflict of interest there, Stroffolino! I mean I can't even post about ngmoco without getting passive aggressive emails. I can't imagine if we actually had any real financial interest in anything we post about.

Anyway, regarding Chillingo, a lot of people see them as the force powering the success of Angry Birds or Cut the Rope. However, when you look at their catalog of 140 iPhone games currently there are a lot of games that never got any significant traction. I kind of think that both Angry Birds and Cut the Rope are good enough games that they likely would have seen a similar response with or without Chillingo.
10-12-2010, 11:42 AM
It's worth considering that if they have access to the user base of Angry Birds via their Crystal social platform that's a pretty massive audience they could be promoting the other titles they publish to.

Maybe a question to ask them if your discussions go further.
10-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraware View Post
It's worth considering that if they have access to the user base of Angry Birds via their Crystal social platform that's a pretty massive audience they could be promoting the other titles they publish to.

Maybe a question to ask them if your discussions go further.
Also worth asking the number of daily active users Crystal even has. With so many games switching to Game Center I think Crystal could be on the downswing? Maybe? How much success has anyone even seen being featured in OpenFeint or other similar networks? I don't mean to downplay it, but the only time I can think of where I've seen real movement on the charts because of in-game referrals is Plus+ stuff when they do promotions to get free food/energy/mojo/whatever to download. In those cases, not only are the apps they're being driven to download free, but I really doubt many of the users ever do anything more than launch it to get their free credits in the games they actually play.

I don't mean to be overly critical of Chillingo, social networks, publishers, or anything else... This is just all worth considering before agreeing to give an outside party xx% of your pie.