★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Flick Bowling - how to spin the ball?

10-22-2008, 04:53 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Flick Bowling - how to spin the ball?

The last update to this game added spin, at least in theory. I can't figure out how it is supposed to work, though. Nothing I do seems to cause the ball to curve even slightly. What technique are you suppose to use to spin the ball?
10-22-2008, 05:24 AM
I haven't got the game, but they describe it as swiping in the description. So I am assuming it is like the original video of the game, where you swipe from the ball to the left or right as it is rolling down the lane. Have you tried that?

10-22-2008, 06:58 AM
Yep, wastedyuthe is right. I've got the game (what a steal, 59p for such a great app!) and i updated, and i too was confused until i read the description again. Once you've released the ball, swipe left/right, and the ball follows the direction of the swipe. Since it's bowling, it's not immediate turning/spin or anything. I find it kinda dumb though, that you can spin it left, then right, then left again. That's impossible to do in a bowling alley!
10-22-2008, 07:09 AM
Yes I agree, ITrocks. The spin should have been implemented in a better way, so you determine the spin as you throw, as in every other bowling game I have played. This way seems rather silly if the spin can alter direction like you said. I don't think I'll bother with this, and stick to iBowl for the moment.
10-22-2008, 07:43 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
I have tried that and I can't detect any curving of the ball at all, even if I swipe madly left-to-right or vice versa. I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what.
10-22-2008, 07:53 AM
Crunc, as mentioned before, the spin does not respond immediately. I am guessing when you throw the ball, you flick upwards really quickly? As a result, the ball will travel too fast for the spin to respond (since it's not instantaneous). I suggest you just tap the screen to get the ball rolling, and try swiping just to see if the spin is actually working. Also, in v1.1, there is an option to turn spin off/on. Go to the settings and set the spin to whatever level you want. Your problem may be that your spin level is set a 0.

Wastedyuthe, iBowl is actually quite impressive for a free app. But then again, all of SNG's apps have been really cool, very wii-like (with the exception of iBaseball perhaps?). Although the graphics don't meet the standard of Flick Bowling, the gameplay is much better. Depends which you're willing to sacrifice. For me, poor graphics is sacrilegious I just turn spin off, and play. With freeverse promising future updates, the spin problem may be changed (although nobody's really complained).
10-22-2008, 07:56 AM
Yes with iBowl adding spin is really easy- you just tilt left or right as you are throwing the ball- that's it! None of this swiping nonsense. Plus iBowl is free!
10-22-2008, 08:10 AM
Yea, it's a sweet alternative I think the first app to introduce this swiping motion was 300Bowl. I thought freeverse had a tad bit more class and would've tried to introduce something new and good, but unfortunately it didn't. Hmm, maybe recommending tilting for spin would be cool. But it wouldn't match the flicking motion.
10-22-2008, 08:27 AM
Think of spin in Flick bowling to the way people curve the rock in curling. Your finger is the broom. Makes no sense, but its a lot of nice eye candy for 99 cents. The pin physics are pretty bizarre as well. I've seen a number of pins go through each other without being knocked down. Also, there is a bug where a pin is knocked over or missing after a strike.

Hopefully the BIG update for 300 bowling will make it compete with Flick bowling. If not, good news, EA Bowling is just around the cornor.
10-22-2008, 08:45 AM
Is EA Bowling a definite addition for the iphone/ipod touch? That would be really cool, we haven't had many sport (besides Real Football 09 and Ernie Els Golf) apps with premium price quality. In the description, Freeverse says it aims to rectify the pin physics with more realistic qualities in the next update.