★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Globs *New Game*

03-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Globs *New Game*

[App Store Link, $0.99]

Hey this new game just came to the appstore. The graphics reminds me of that PS1 game, I think it was something Dark or Shadows. I can't remember the name right now. It was a game that had little shadow creatures trying to get you and was 3-D looking. Anyone going to toftt for this game?

Quote:
Globs is a fast action Sci-Fi shooter. Play as Nerdmen the geeky biologist who must collect glob eye balls for his scientific research. The globs will quickly get out of hand so use your blaster to defend yourself against an angry army of green gooey goobers.

Full version includes:
-All six booger busting stages
-Access to any future updates and bonus stages

Lite version includes:
-Tutorial
-Stage One

The globs tutorial will automatically start the first time you play. You must complete it before playing any of the stages. The tutorial will guide you though important features and game controls. So pay attention Nerdmen's life depends on it!

Tips:
-Shoot globs off your feet if they stick you.
-Rapidly tap duck if one lands on your head.
-Duck to avoid damage from globs and hazards.
-Stop firing to collect eye balls.

Last edited by salsamd; 03-12-2009 at 09:11 PM.
03-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by radchad1 View Post
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=307213864&mt=8

Hey this new game just came to the appstore. The graphics reminds me of that PS1 game, I think it was something Dark or Shadows. I can't remember the name right now. It was a game that had little shadow creatures trying to get you and was 3-D looking. Anyone going to toftt for this game?
it does look interesting... only .99 but i will try to resist a few minutes...

03-12-2009, 07:11 PM
anybody tried the lite version

can someone buy me a zen bound
03-12-2009, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by traonk View Post
anybody tried the lite version
I tried searching for the lite version on itunes, but don't think it's uploaded yet
03-12-2009, 07:16 PM
yeah didnt show up in search for me either
03-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Quote:
The graphics reminds me of that PS1 game, I think it was something Dark or Shadows. I can't remember the name right now. It was a game that had little shadow creatures trying to get you and was 3-D looking.
Shadow of Darkness? Yeah, that was a pretty cool game and this App does remind me of it a little too. I know it's on .99 but I think I'll still wait for the Lite version first.
03-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.D! View Post
Shadow of Darkness? Yeah, that was a pretty cool game and this App does remind me of it a little too. I know it's on .99 but I think I'll still wait for the Lite version first.
Actually, i found the game it was Heart of Darkness on the ps1. the link is attached for you to take a look if you haven't heard of the game before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_o...ss_(video_game)
03-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Such an original title
03-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Actually, i found the game it was Heart of Darkness on the ps1. the link is attached for you to take a look if you haven't heard of the game before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_o...ss_(video_game)
Heart of Darkness, yeah that's the one I meant. I only ever played the Demo of it though.
03-13-2009, 12:32 AM
Well, this seems to be more about Heart Of Darkness Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled discussion of Globs...

Other than the fact that your character is a bit on the tiny side, the graphics look pretty good. The backgrounds are really detailed, and the animation is quite smooth. The music is pretty decent, and the sound effects are well done and humorous, especially when your main character goes "Ow" after being hit.

So how does the game itself play? I was actually a bit disappointed. I was really expecting a game along the lines of Commander Keen in terms of "navigate through a bunch of levels, collecting things and shooting bad guys". Guess I should have read the App Store description before making my purchase. Basically, you have 6 levels to play through, and on each level all you do is jump around a series of platforms, blowing away globs and collecting their eyes. On the plus side, you can adjust the difficulty of each level by selecting at the beginning whether you want to collect 25, 50, or 75 eyes.

On the down side, the mechanics of the game are not great. Basically, the game employs the dual control mechanism. By default, the wheel on the left controls movement, and the wheel on the right controls shooting. You can move left, right, jump and duck, but I found the ducking a bit difficult to pull off sometimes. The "run and jump" mechanic can also be a bit tricky. In addition to hurting you, globs can trap your feet so you can't run and suck on your head so you can't shoot. Getting your feet trapped is no big deal. I can get out of that all the time, even though I can't tell you right now how I do it Escaping the head-sucker is a whole other story. You're supposed to duck several times rapidly, but I usually end up moving left or right instead of ducking, often times falling off ledges in the process (your character doesn't recover so well from that).

All told, it wasn't the game I was expecting and the mechanics make it not so fun to play. If the controls were tightened up a bit it might be more engaging, but in truth what I'd rather see is this engine (even with the same universe) employed to create a Commander Keen style game. Now THAT would be cool.

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre