★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Softstar Mobile
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 17.8 MB
  • Version: 1.0
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Set in ancient China mythological background, War of Soul Balls is a puzzle game that blends in traditional Chinese cultural elements. Designed with intense combat mode as well as amazing skill effects, this game is well designed to keep players interested at all times.
The key feature of this game is to place various soul balls with different attributes in the right places, then to make corresponding combinations and clear them up. Once players clear them up, theyll get to beat up the boss!

Vovin's comments:

Wow, I am really wondering that nobody picked this up or posted it yet.

I found a small gem here, a nice and unique puzzle game with clear, polished and very cute graphics (Manga / SD style), nice sound effects and very good music... the soundtrack in clearly inspired by chinese folklore music.
The animations are smooth and well done. Even on the map overview are animated clouds passing by. The overall level of polish is satifying.

You can chose between the English language and... err... I think it's chinese.

The game also comes with a long tutorial description and the translation here is somewhere between o.k. and "what? O.o", a bit confusing at the beginning - but the game also has a tutorial level where the moves you are making on the game board are explained in detail.

There is quite a lot of strategy (as well as a little luck) involved in this game.
I am not far into the game right now but the game is easy to understand - and hard to master. You are fighting battles versus various mystic beings - who are trying to stop you from destructing them.
... well, that sounds reasonable, Vovin...

You have the task to place your soul beads (balls made of the elements water, wind, fire, thunder and soil) in special patterns to activate your combat skills (magic to damage your opponent) or to generate special beads, which can be used to cancel your opponents skills. Maybe there's more I don't know yet. When activated, these soul beads (or balls) are erased from the board, giving you free space for your next moves. While playing, a counter is ticking and every once in a while, your opponent uses his skill to block fields on the game board or do some other nasty tricks or damage to you.
Once the board is filled with soul beads: Game Over.

I'll give this game some more attention but it seems that we have a really nice an unusual puzzle game here - I'd recommend you puzzle freaks to give it a try. For a buck, you can't do much wrong with this game.

Because I am only at the beginning of the game and can't say anything about replay value or if it will get repetitive: 4 stars.

edit: forgot to mention that each turn, you'll get a new draw of five random element beads which you'll have to place on the board before you are able to draw five new beads. That's where the luck factor comes in.
10-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the heads up, Vovin. I'll give it a try.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
10-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Puzzles tend to do my head in! I'll give this a go though. Anything to do with ancient China gets my attention

Addicted to: Tail Gunner
10-13-2010, 11:47 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
See, in the first levels, the game is easy... but tends to get harder and harder. The learning curve is nice and no level was unsolvable yet.
I like the fact that you need different strategies for different enemies - depending on the combat skills your enemy has.

Oh, and for all you "control freaks" (lol, what a nice one! ) - controls are working fine and precise.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.

Last edited by Vovin; 10-13-2010 at 11:51 AM.
10-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
See, in the first levels, the game is easy... but tends to get harder and harder. The learning curve is nice and no level was unsolvable yet.
I like the fact that you need different strategies for different enemies - depending on the combat skills your enemy has.

Oh, and for all you "control freaks" (lol, what a nice one! ) - controls are working fine and precise.
Thanks for the info Vovin. I'm going to give it a go tonight

Addicted to: Tail Gunner