★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: BoardBox on SALE - 75% OFF!

09-11-2010, 07:52 AM
BoardBox Re-Released by Movile

---Developer's Note---

Hello Everyone,

Our apologies that this news hasn't come sooner, but Movile and Chillingo have decided to part ways with regards to our developer-publisher relationship.

Movile retains all sales rights for BoardBox as we are the sole developer of the project. This means that the game was removed from Chillingo's account and re-uploaded in a new version to Movile's account. Unfortunately, Apple does not offer any sort of mechanism to transfer an application between sellers without losing buyer information. Hence, the sales data for who has purchased applications has been lost.

We are currently working on a program that will allow existing BoardBox users to download the new version (in order to receive future updates for free) and notify us so that we will donate our proceeds to a charitable organization. This is the fairest way we can see to do things at this time.

We hope you continue to enjoy BoardBox and everything it has to offer. Thank you so very much!

For those that are new to BoardBox, take a look at it; we're sure you'll love what you see!

BoardBox™ is the most graphically rich and realistic looking board game set on iPad. With dozens of features and true-to-life visuals, BoardBox™ is the only board game you will need on your iPad! Grab a friend and play a game of Chess, Checkers, or Backgammon! Or turn off the rules and make up your own! Best of all, play with a friend around the world via email multiplayer! And the list goes on....

In fact, here is all you can do with BoardBox™:
- 20 board games, including:
- Chess
- Backgammon (NEW!)
- Checkers
- Reversi
- Tic Tac Toe
- Tournament Tic Tac Toe (NEW!)
- Go
- International Draughts
- Xiangqi
- Westernized Xiangqi
- plus 5 Chess, 3 Backgammon, and 2 Go variants!
- Email multiplayer
- 3 unique board styles: Mahogany, Granite, and Old School
- Written rules by Wikipedia (no Internet connection required!)
- and MUCH more!

We have full support for movement and capture rules in Chess, Checkers, and Backgammon.

Included in our plans for future releases are updating features, adding new games, and making BoardBox the ultimate board game application on your iPad. And best of all: future updates will be 100% free! No in-app purchase content. We simply make it; you get it. FREE.

BoardBox for iPad.

*Note: BoardBox does not have a CPU-controlled component at this time. This is intended to be a multiplayer game in which two people play together, people play via email, or you create your own games to share with others.
09-11-2010, 08:20 AM
I'm glad the dev has come forth with the explanation. Makes me feel a lot better that orginal adopters are not being deserted. Looking forward to see how the transfer is carried out.

09-12-2010, 10:16 AM
it's not a transfer...

he's saying that people will have to buy the game again, but the company will donate their proceeds to charity if you tell them.

nice way to treat your customers!
09-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Movile will be holding a sale for the next three days, starting September 15th (that's tomorrow, everybody!), selling BoardBox for just $0.99!

Thats $0.05 per board game, with all the other features and beautiful graphics thrown in for free!

Take a look at it right here:

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/boardbox/id390680262?mt=8

Last edited by movile; 09-14-2010 at 07:14 PM.
09-15-2010, 02:15 AM
OK, I'm interested but there doesn't seem to be much information about this anywhere beyond what you have posted on iTunes and the short FAQ in the other thread.

What are the variants that are included? (I'm especially interested in Go.) Does it include 9x9 and 13x13 and 19x19 boards? The screenshots only show a 13x13 board for some reason.

Is there any support for capturing pieces in other games, such as Go and Reversi? That is, with Go is there automatic detection of 0 liberties in a group? Are any rules enforced? Is there automatic scoring? If not, what, if any, plans are there for including features such as these and when are they likely? I'm not asking for AI (though that would be nice). Instead I'm asking for some automation of the games that are there.

Please post some additional information. Your "support site" seems to have even less information about this than the iTunes description. Yes, there is a way to submit questions there, but how about some actual useful support info instead of just a watered-down sales pitch?

$.99 is a great price, but I have quite a few apps languishing on invisible screens on my iPad already and am a little reluctant to add yet another without some info. Help me give you money, it won't take much convincing, just some information.
09-15-2010, 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by movile View Post
Movile will be holding a sale for the next three days, starting September 15th (that's tomorrow, everybody!), selling BoardBox for just $0.99!

Thats $0.05 per board game, with all the other features and beautiful graphics thrown in for free!

Take a look at it right here:

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/boardbox/id390680262?mt=8
Well, for that price, I think I will get it again, but will try and get the money donated if possible.
09-15-2010, 04:58 AM
I just got it. There are variants for Go, 9x9 and 13x13 to the one that was asking...variants in chess are the positions of each piece and amount, one was a random mix, kinda fun I guess.

It's feels like another board set I got on the iPad awhile ago, forgot the name and deleted it off my iPad to save more icon room. Varients are nice, and the different board sets are fine, about 3 of them though I just stick to the Old School set...would be nice if there was a 2D game piece set. There's a lot of board games to choose from, nothing too special for me, it just feels like an everage board set game. There are sounds for chess when you move the pieces, but reversi and checkers that I tried had no sound at all...would be nice if more sound was added to all the games to give some audio feedback.

Also there should be more rules set in place. Like in chess, when the king is in check he can move in places where he can be put in checkmate and when you kill the king you can keep playing. And yes, I think for a computer type of game, there should be some kind of AI, at least planned for the future.

For 99 cents if you want just a plain simple board set for the iPad to play with someone, this is a fine choice. But I think what would be really cool and sell a lot on the iPad is if someone made a real good 3D board set, one where you can move the area in a 3D space or make it 3D when you move the iPad around using the accelerometer looking at it on the top view.
09-15-2010, 10:04 PM
I bought it again, mostly because Movile has been active in the forums here. I too hope that Movile will donate to a charity to take the funds from double buying.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
09-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Hi everyone. We are continuing to compile a list of the donations to be made. Keep in mind that, even if you buy during the sale, we're donating our proceeds from the full $3.99 price, not the discounted price.

For jeffyg, we are working on everything you've brought up for a release in November. This includes some very wild new technologies and of course, the simple things like improving upon rules and such.

However, keep in mind that, when playing a real game, no one is enforcing the rules, and this game is meant to be as real to life as possible.
09-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Despite having a couple of other similar apps, I picked this up when I saw the sale.

It is very nice overall but one thing I would like to see improved (apart from the sound which has already been mentioned) is the piece selection. When playing Reversi, for example, each player has to choose from a white or a black piece on their turn. I would prefer if you were automatically given the correct colour to use. I know you could argue that in the real game you have to choose the correct side of the piece to place face up, but I think forcing the extra tap on the iPad is going a step too far!