★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iDevice a hardcore gaming machine.

10-13-2010, 11:13 PM
iDevice a hardcore gaming machine.

Alright, as many already know, the 3DS is coming out in March (I believe), and although the iDevices and the 3DS are geared towards different audiences, I believe there will still be a competition between Nintendo and Apple. Thinking what the iDevices have done in the past in a gaming perspective to make it an even more well-rounded "game console", what could possibly be done (in your opinion) to further hardcorize the iDevices?

Personally, if Apple created their own case with 2 bumper buttons (1 on either side) on the back, I believe that it could really improve the gaming variety on the iDevices. (my photoshop thing is running really slow, will post picture in a bit) The reason I believe Apple should make it is the very same reason that any iDevice case is different from the other; no developers that I know of are going to tailer to a third-party companies case. If Apple certifies it and the case itself plugs into the charging dock port, like the extended battery cases, developers would catch on and controls for games like MC2: BP would be 3X better. (Imagine the swipe and v-pad controls with bumper buttons like COD to aim and shoot).

Many believe and will argue that Apple's device is supposed to be a no-button experience, but there are many out there (like myself) who think that some games made for the iDevices were made for some extra physical buttons, especially ports of older games. To me it is frustrating trying to play a game with two fingers intended for six. I'm not saying all should use this, far from it, but the option of having an extra set of buttons will widen the capabilities of the iPhone and iPod Touch even more.

Currently Playing: Hybrid (The first one), Block Fortress
Waiting For: MC5
Hoping For: RCT!!!!!
10-13-2010, 11:19 PM
i complete agree, i would love a psp go style ipod touch.... although better made

Yes, we write reviews! We also take baths! Unfortunately, there is little time in our life for both.
Come visit our website at www.tictactouch.tk. Review requests can be made via twitter.
We need a larger community, because right now we feel like this

10-13-2010, 11:47 PM
nahh, if Apple wanted to make it in the games market primarily they could, would, and will. The iphone/ipad/ipod CAN game and such, but aren't built for it. They could (i'm sure they already are) build a gaming device primarily...just cuz it can game, doesnt mean it was built for it. And if their are all these different cases floating around, it'll cost so much more to buy a game...like the gameloft case, $20 + $6(per game), the Chillingo Case....etc...

Get it? probably not, oh well

The Life Blog
Minecraft
10-14-2010, 02:42 AM
The strength of iOS as a gaming platform is that it comes in the iPhone. People need phones, they don't need a game system, and they have limited pockets, with sometimes the second pocket being used for a wallet or keys. Now I have a cell phone and I carry the iPod touch (or occasionally NGP) as a dedicated gaming system, so it's certainly an option, but there are some people who wouldn't use it at all if it were dedicated only.

The other strength of the platform is consistent hardware design. iPhone, 3G and 3GS all have very similar designs on a hardware level and the same goes for iPod touch 1g-3g. The resolution is the same, as is the screen size (with iPhone/iPod touch 4 having 4 pixels for each 1 of previous generations), making it easy on devs. Android is suffering from fragmentation even though it largely uses just touch screen, but having some devices support multi touch and others not, and some with hard keyboards and others not makes it difficult on devs. Having either 480x320 or 960x640 resolution makes it very easy for devs to develop games. Having only the touch screen and tilt controls also makes it easy - they don't have to think about hardware being available in one device but not the other (except of course when it comes to revisions each year).

Having a variation with hard buttons would entirely undermine this. It's of course an opportunity for Sony with the PSP2 to come in with touch screen, tilt controls and physical controls to cover everything, but for Apple to try the same thing would actually screw things up.
10-14-2010, 06:29 AM
Yep, the thing that makes the Iphone an ideal portable gaming device is the fact that its a phone too. Most (working) people are not going to carry a DS around with them throughout the day. It just isn't convenient - especially when you have to have the phone with you anyway. In the past, the cell phones couldn't hold a candle to a dedicated gaming device for gameplay but thats changed with the Iphone - its a very capable game machine. The touch controls may be an issue for some but the fact is that the best games on the Iphone are likely to be those that are specifically built for the interface and that gives the device even more appeal imho becuase it allows for some new creativity as people come up with new ways to use its capabilities...
10-14-2010, 06:47 AM
Apple has already filed for gaming accessories patents, so it's not completely impossible. If the accessory is made by apple then it'll be supported by most of the games (atleast all the new games will support it as optional controls scheme for sure). Only problem is Steve's philosophy of keeping it simple. He might never allow such a thing by apple and anything created by a third party will suffer from limited support.

As far as these accessories improving the actual gameplay experience, I dont really think that will be too much. But it'll definitely make iDevices a LOT more attractive to gamers who still dismiss iDevices as non-console only coz it has no hardware controls.
10-14-2010, 08:00 AM
The iDevice is not and will never be a hardcore gaming machine because iDevice owners are too spoiled, stubborn, delusional, unreasonable, bratty, and self-entitled to ever submit to the type of pricing structure that it would require to support hardcore gaming. A pricing average of .99c-4.99, with a ceiling of 9.99, isn't going to come anywhere near cutting it.

You get what you pay for. The iDevice will always be a magnet for casual gaming. Cut the Rope, Pocket God, Angry Birds. Need I say more?
10-14-2010, 08:10 AM
Rumour has it the left over bra bits from generations gone by are going to be used to conjure up a magical iDevice accessory pod.

Invaders Must Die.
10-14-2010, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumaz1000 View Post
Cut the Rope, Pocket God, Angry Birds. Need I say more?
nope. no need to say anything more. Those are great examples of great games for a portable gaming device. Just what I want on my phone to fill a few minutes throughout the day. And they are just as "hardcore" as all the big number crunching excell spreadsheets (aka "rpgs") you'd care to name...

Last edited by Zevious Zoquis; 10-14-2010 at 08:14 AM.
10-14-2010, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumaz1000 View Post
The iDevice is not and will never be a hardcore gaming machine because iDevice owners are too spoiled, stubborn, delusional, unreasonable, bratty, and self-entitled to ever submit to the type of pricing structure that it would require to support hardcore gaming. A pricing average of .99c-4.99, with a ceiling of 9.99, isn't going to come anywhere near cutting it.

You get what you pay for. The iDevice will always be a magnet for casual gaming. Cut the Rope, Pocket God, Angry Birds. Need I say more?
I think youre stereotyping a bit too much there. And chaos rings costs more than $9.99.

And youre wrong about not cutting it. Cut the rope gets so near to cutting it that it actually does cut it (the rope, that is)