★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: [New game] PunchPunchRevolution!

10-22-2008, 07:46 AM
[New game] PunchPunchRevolution!

Ok, Its submitted, waiting approval !! My new app...

Its a touchscreen fighting game, react quicker for higher scores.

There is an early video of it here,
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=magwi90namc

Let me know waht you think. Its a $1.99 game (1.19)

There are 3 different characters to fight, with hit/miss reactions, sound etc in the finished version.

the music in the video is NOT in my game, its just showing you can play your iPod tunes while playing, there are game sound effects but the music is from your own collection.

Last edited by Pyrofer; 10-22-2008 at 05:04 PM.
10-22-2008, 08:03 AM
Hmmm, i'm not too sure about this game. I don't think it warrants the 1.19 pricetag, i'm afraid. When you hit the guy, he doesn't seem to react. Also, you don't know how much health the dude has left (the enemy who's trying to kick your ass). It doesn't look like an app that would attract my attention, maybe someone else might. Good effort anyway!

10-22-2008, 08:07 AM
I'm sorry, I like beat-em-ups and I don't like the look of this at all. It's not really a beat-em-up is it? I mean, by the look of it, it's just a reaction test as to how fast you can tap the fists that appear on the screen. Why you have the man standing in the middle of the screen is a mystery- he doesn't do anything.
If my assumption is correct and it is a reaction test game as to how fast you tap something when it appears, then I already have the perfect game for that in iShooting Gallery. In actual fact, that game is only 1.79 (a little more money than yours) and has a lot more to it and looks a lot more polished. Sorry.
10-22-2008, 08:16 AM
Points well taken, please note this is an Early beta video (new one soon) and yes, he does move/react more in later versions.

Yes, it is quite a bit based on reaction, it gets harder with multiple pads on later levels. Its all about how quick you are.

The character is indeed just eyecandy. But then again, arent most game graphics? It doesnt mean games shouldnt look good.
10-22-2008, 08:23 AM
I take it you've licensed the images you're using? It looks like you've just picked them up off the net and a quick few searches on images.google.com came up with these:

http://www.dailyspeculations.com/FIST.jpg
- that's the fist you're using, you've just stretched it to make it taller

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...micDog/pow.jpg
- that's the 'pow' you're using, and it's been around for ages (wasn't it originally in the Batman tv series?) Looks like you even left some of the purple around the background.

Give me enough time and I bet I can find the anime character on the screen and the original background images.

"Arthur & Charles Present Create & Play" now available on the App Store
iTunes - Arthur & Charles Website
10-22-2008, 08:27 AM
Cool. Im very sorry to say that some beta test images have slipped through.
I can give you the name/email of the artist that has spent a lot of time drawing the characters etc for this game, so I can assure you, you will NEVER find that anime character ANYWHERE other than in this game.
Rest assured that the fist/pow will be fixed in the first update and thanks for bringing this to my attention. It seems in my rush to get the app submitted I let quality slip, I appologise for this.
10-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofer View Post
Cool. Im very sorry to say that some beta test images have slipped through.
I can give you the name/email of the artist that has spent a lot of time drawing the characters etc for this game, so I can assure you, you will NEVER find that anime character ANYWHERE other than in this game.
Rest assured that the fist/pow will be fixed in the first update and thanks for bringing this to my attention. It seems in my rush to get the app submitted I let quality slip, I appologise for this.
Any self-respecting, professional dev would immediately pull the binary from itunes connect and submit a new binary with the correct graphics in. Do you want something with copyrighted images, that aren't intended to be the final images, be the first thing that prospective customers see?

It's a fairly major "quality slip", I have to say. Instantly makes me wonder what the quality of the app is actually like.

10-22-2008, 08:46 AM
Indeed you are right. The ability to pull a binary is a new one that was not available when I previously submitted apps.
I will pull the binary and fix it, thanks again for bringing this to my attention.
I have also removed youtube video with these incorrect graphics. I hope you can understand that not being an artist I was not 'testing' the art merely the code.
Letting it slip through was a mistake, and I hope this little slip does not put people off as I can assure you it does not reflect on the quality of the game as a whole.

I would like to point out that I am NOT a profesional dev, just a family man with a full time job trying to make a little extra to support his growing family. Trust me when I say worrying about your sick 3yo child is more important than app submission.
10-22-2008, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofer View Post
Indeed you are right. The ability to pull a binary is a new one that was not available when I previously submitted apps.
I will pull the binary and fix it, thanks again for bringing this to my attention.
I have also removed youtube video with these incorrect graphics. I hope you can understand that not being an artist I was not 'testing' the art merely the code.
Letting it slip through was a mistake, and I hope this little slip does not put people off as I can assure you it does not reflect on the quality of the game as a whole.

I would like to point out that I am NOT a profesional dev, just a family man with a full time job trying to make a little extra to support his growing family. Trust me when I say worrying about your sick 3yo child is more important than app submission.
With all due respect, we don't need to know any of this - you came here to present your game, your background and situation aren't really relevant (believe me, I could bore you with things in my life to do with worries etc., but I won't.) You're releasing an app and soliciting money for it, that means you're entering the realms of professional development. Unfortunately it seems that far too many "developers" writing for the app store just don't get this. It's not (a) join dev program, (b) whip up something quick and dirty, (c) profit - it doesn't work that way in reality.

I'm surprised that you didn't do a final test before submission. Surely even a cursory glance would have pointed out that you were using the wrong graphics? I mean, it's not like they're subtle!

Anyway, glad to see you've removed the video, will keep my eye out for this when it hits the app store so I can see what it was supposed to look like.

10-22-2008, 09:10 AM
I agree that personal sitations are not entirely relevant, however your comment,
"Any self-respecting, professional dev" is suggestive that you think I am not self-respecting or profesional. You are half right, im not a profesional dev and I felt that I should point that out. As for "whipping it up" in a few days or whatever, this is not the case. It has taken quite a lot of development and time on my part. The road to producing an app is not easy, this is NOT a "torch" app.
As for not noticing the graphics, after weeks of play testing the game and hunting obscure code bugs you get a bit blind to the actual graphics, they cease to represent anything in your mind other than operation of the code. I wasnt obvious to me that they were not the final graphics as I didnt draw them.
I came here to draw peoples attention to my new app and as suggested in the first post, get feedback. I did indeed get very valuable feedback, and i thank you for this.