★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Puzzllotto

10-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Puzzllotto

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=293679381&mt=8

claims to be a zork/myst style game, but the few app store reviews aren't great. anybody try it yet?
10-22-2008, 02:36 PM
not bad but certainly different

I got it, and it's not bad, but they're pretty serious about it being a puzzle. You start directly in the game, no splash screen, no words (no directions), poof, you're just in the game. I rebooted the phone to make sure and yes, when you turn it on, you are at the screen you see on the website. As you tap the little blinking eyes on the screen (actually they don't all blink) they either turn into a butterfly, a lemur, or one of those wolf-like things. Butterflies are good, lemurs I think may turn to butterflies, or not, but are apparently good, and those wolf-things are bad (all your butterflies go away and you start over when you hit upon a wolf-thing). I actually cleared a screen and a weird screen came up. It is not in English. I don't think it's in a real language. I swear the button I hit said OYVAY (like the Jewish Oy Vay!) and then another screen appeared and I began again. Can't really say how I got to the other screen (I can't say because I have no clue how, not that I can't, though if I knew I might not because there's a prize, lol). The second screen was similar but not the same. I eventually stopped playing and when I went back, I found myself at the first screen all over again, so saving isn't a feature, I don't think but I could be wrong. I'm trying to get back to screen 2 again.

So, it's a puzzle for sure. It's not like Myst, Zork, or Zelda (or even Silent Hill) where you are moving about trying to use things you recognize to do something. You are in a jungle and there's nothing for you to use that you've seen before, and you really have no clue what you're supposed to do. I'm not sure if the scenery changes or you interact any other way but as I go, I will update. I like it, because I like puzzles and I love games. I hated Safecracker (see Big Fish) because it seemed beyond me but in all other games I love puzzles. This is truly different because you have nothing to guide you and I get the impression any words you see won't be such that you really understand them. I can't see not liking it unless you don't like puzzles and are looking for action because there doesn't seem to be much action. There may be no more than what I've seen already and again, I'll update.
10-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Send a message via AIM to STP_Steve Send a message via Yahoo to STP_Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATTLE BORN View Post
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=293679381&mt=8

claims to be a zork/myst style game, but the few app store reviews aren't great. anybody try it yet?
Here's the thing about Puzzllotto: it's more of an intelligence test than a game. The difference is that you get a cash prize at the end, instead of MENSA membership. I haven't been able to decode the pattern yet, but I'm convinced there must be one...

http://www.slidetoplay.com/story/puzzllotto-hands-on

Steve Palley, www.slidetoplay.com
10-22-2008, 06:30 PM
hmmm, looks interesting. i would like a couple 4 or 5 star reviews outta the 18 on the app store before i bought i tho
10-22-2008, 06:35 PM
thanks for the input guys. I came across your gameplay video earlier today Steve. definitely helps me get a better idea of what it's like.