Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > Upcoming iPhone and iPad Games

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 02:04 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Default League of [Epic] Heroes coming soon!

League of Epic Heroes
Release Date: November 20th - November 25th
Price: $1.99 USD

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

A few details about the gameplay: League of Epic Heroes is based off of the popular indie game Desktop Dungeons, developed by QCF Design. If you haven't played it, you owe it to yourself to try it out. It's one of the best indie games of 2010. To give credit where credit is due, League is based on the core gameplay of Desktop Dungeons, with a few changes which I'll talk about later (the main is a loot drop system). It's worth mentioning the QCF is working on a Unity version of Desktop Dungeons, that will likely come out for mobile devices at some point. For anyone who has played the game before, I'm sure you will agree that it is a perfect system for mobile. And a disclaimer: QCF has no involvement in this project, and this should not be seen as an 'official port' of Desktop Dungeons. This is a solo/independent project based on the Desktop Dungeon ruleset.

The gameplay of League is somewhat similar to a Roguelike, but it also plays like a puzzle game in a way. You start out in the dungeon at level 1, and the goal is to defeat the boss(es) of the dungeon. Killing monsters grants XP, which allows you to level up and kill stronger monsters. The randomly generated dungeon also features various dungeon standards like potions, shrines, and treasure. Defeating a boss with each class unlocks new content: new, more difficult monsters, new classes, and new dungeons.

One of the core gameplay elements is exploration. The dungeon initially starts out unexplored, and exploring a space restores health and mana, and it's the primary way to do so. A large part of the strategy is figuring out how to kill monsters that are higher level than you (for an XP bonus) and then exploring unexplored tiles to recover your health and mana. Some people refer to Desktop Dungeons as a 'puzzler': the randomly generated dungeon has a sort of 'solution' for leveling up and defeating the boss.

Where League differs from Desktop Dungeons is in the random aspects. One of the main problems I had with DD (though I'm sure others might disagree) is the randomness -- randomness in the Gods that spawned, randomness in the equipment, and the gold system. I opted to implement a 'drop-based' system based on my experience with Diablo and World of Warcraft. Killing bosses grants loot, which can be equipped and used to defeat subsequently more challenging dungeons. Gods are also absent from League, though they might return in an update. The reason for not including the Gods is that I find them confusing for new players, and the small iPhone screen makes it difficult to show all the information that players need to understand the system.

I plan to post more updates and class previews soon, as well as a beta. Stay tuned and please feel free to ask any questions.

Last edited by lazypeon; 11-13-2010 at 02:57 PM..
Old 10-17-2010, 02:09 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Will you do a beta?
Old 10-18-2010, 09:31 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

sounds interesting. i'll keep up with info as it comes!
Old 10-18-2010, 10:42 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Crap weasels! This could be epic!
Old 10-18-2010, 09:05 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Undecided on a Beta, mostly because I'm unsure of the logistics (I haven't done a beta previously).

If I figure out the details, I might do a beta and post about it here.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:21 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Definitely sounds interesting! Can't wait to see some screenshots/gameplay videos
Old 10-18-2010, 10:39 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypeon View Post
Undecided on a Beta, mostly because I'm unsure of the logistics (I haven't done a beta previously).

If I figure out the details, I might do a beta and post about it here.
It depends if you need help and feedback for bugs, gameplay and so on.
It is easy to arrange here actually.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:36 AM

Show us more!
Old 10-24-2010, 07:16 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Just updated the main post with a new teaser image showcasing one of the new classes, the Champion! Information on the beta and preview screenshots should be coming in the next few days, as I finish up with the first Beta build!
Old 10-31-2010, 03:48 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

First screenshots and gameplay description posted in the original thread. Stay tuned for more Beta info soon!

Closed Thread