★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Rogue Touch V1.3 --- The Official Thread

03-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Rogue Touch V1.3 --- The Official Thread

************** This post has been updated to reflect current info as of 3/19/09 Please re-read **************

We know what's happening now! To make this easier for everyone to follow, this is a copy of most of what I just posted in our forum this morning

OK, all of you have been wondering, as we have, where in the world the 1.3 update was. Last night we got an unfortunate e-mail from Apple stating that they had discovered a show-stopping bug and could not approve it. To their credit, they did provide crash logs. Not so much credit for sitting on the logs for over 24 hours instead of telling us right away though I won't even get into the fact that those logs also indicate that it never got seen by a person until 3/17, a week after submission.

I have a hunch that our tester may actually be a fan though, as the bug he discovered appeared on an iPod Touch, but not his or her iPhone. The nature of the found bug is such that it would only be a problem on a *new* install, and not an issue if you had upgraded an existing version... which means this individual may have bought/kept a copy to play. Hi Apple Employee! *waves* Hope you like it and can get us fast-tracked for re-approval

Using the crash logs they provided we were able to reproduce the problem, determine what caused it, and eliminate the bug. The problem was related to some of the users settings and defaults not being properly defined on a new install. This has actually been around for a while- some of you reported the game not playing audio for you. That is tied to this same issue, it's just in 1.3 if the default zoom did not get defined properly on start up, the game would crash. Simply going into the settings app and picking a zoom level would have corrected it, but I can understand why they rejected the update. It probably saved a ton of angry posts from new buyers having trouble!

So, what does all of this mean? Well, good and bad news. Bad news is we had to work almost all night, and re-submit. Which means we are back in the waiting game. What's the good news???? We would be remiss if we did not mention the fact that we rolled our current 1.4 work into the submission as well! So now you're getting two updates for the price of one (which was nothing, but hey, it's exciting anyway)!

Here is the update list as submitted in iTunes Connect:
PLEASE READ BEFORE UPDATING
Any game in progress and your old Hall of Fame info will be removed to make way for the amazing changes listed below. We apologize for the inconvenience

Due to a previously rejected binary we've stepped up the delivery of new features... This is a combo update containing version 1.3 and 1.4 changes!

Version 1.3 contains many new features!
* Hall of Fame: The new and improved HOF now stores detailed data on your games played including number of moves made in the game, number of kills, and amount of gold collected! Compare against your friends... version 1.4 will allow score uploading to internet leaderboads!
* Hallway Path-Finding: Now when playing fast-mode, double tap will cause your character to run and follow all twists and turns in a hallway until reaching an intersection or the next room!
* D-Pad Control: Option to play using classic touch mode, or a new D-Pad at the bottom of the screen! The new D-Pad can be used like the "touch" control, including double taps for fast-mode run and hallway following, or you can keep your thumb/finger down and slide it around. Default is classic touch, go to settings app to enable D-Pad control if desired.
* 8 new secret characters!
* New weapon: Battle Axe
* New potion: Potion of Blessing
* New ring: Ring of Kings
* New Staff/Wand: Staff of Chaos
* Increased challenge when ascending with the Amulet of Yendor
* Tweaks: Turned off auto-correction on name entry, added "X" in center to denote touch point for cancelling throw/shoot/zap, adjusted power of secret characters and equipment a bit
* Bug-Fixes: a handful of small bugs reported were fixed (Hulk aggravation, asleep and frozen at the same time, quitting and starting a new game after retrieving the Amulet, weapon stacking and losing enchantments)
* Version number on title screen and change log in info!

Version 1.4 contains the following:
* Online Leaderboards- Your local Hall of Fame data is sent to our server to compete with others around the world for top rank in a number of categories! No personal information is transmitted, just character names and statistics. If you do not have a network connection when completing a game it will automatically submit new scores at a later date, whenever you view your Hall of Fame! Visit http://www.ChronoSoft.com to view the leaderboards.
* 2 more secret characters!
* New armor: Spartan Cuirass
* New Staff/Wand: Invisibility
* Tweaks: Fast-play defaults to ON now, much more playable that way. Scaling for secret characters based on their capabilities, makes fights more interesting
* Bug-Fixes: another handful of small bugs reported were fixed (Nymphs stealing the amulet, vorpalized weapon crashing the inventory screen, fix for game sometimes ignoring settings and defaults)

This is probably our biggest update by a wide margin now! So much stuff packed in there... 10 official new secret characters (and a smattering of private ones, we can talk about what those mean sometime soon), 6 new items, Hallway Pathfinding, the D-Pad, new Hall of Fame and Online Leaderboards! Plus small gameplay tweaks and bugfixes as brought up by all of you here.

Not sure if iTunes will show this as 1.3 or 1.4 when it's approved- Officially for us, it's 1.4, and the title screen will show that. Apple's system is a bit bonkers though, and still has this new submission tagged as 1.3. Either way, all of this good stuff will be coming your way as soon as they are done with it!

We will provide links to the real leaderboards once this update goes live (there is also a web-link embedded in the "info" button inside the 1.4 update to get you there whenever you want)!

Please ask if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them. Also if you have suggestions beyond the features listed for this 1.3 and 1.4 combo update we would love to hear them.

Finally, If you've been on the fence about Rogue Touch now would be a great time to buy! Once the leaderboards go live next week we will be starting a competition (with prizes) so you'll want to get some practice in now!!!

(tl;dr... A new Rogue Touch is still coming out, now full of even more win!)

--- ChronoSoft ---
Support your roguelikes! Play Rogue Touch today!
Spirit Hunter Mineko: Demons Reach --- Work in progress! Follow us on Twitter!

Last edited by CommanderData; 03-19-2009 at 09:10 AM.
03-13-2009, 01:40 PM
I think I am going to love the new hallway tweak and the Dpad! Keep it up guys!

"e" TENNIS ---play this and you owe me $1
Look Right............................................. ........................Look Left

03-13-2009, 01:50 PM
AWESOME! The lack of a on-screen d-pad was my biggest complaint about Rogue Touch. Reaching my thumb across and obscuring half the screen to go left was not a very elegant control solution to an otherwise remarkable game.

As far as increasing the difficulty once you get the amulet... it's even possible to get the amulet? I've never seen it, haha.

I think some of the negative reviews Rogue Touch has gotten in regards to its difficulty level is pretty hilarious. Clearly these people are unfamiliar with Roguelikes. As I was trying to explain to a friend who bought the game, YOU. WILL. DIE. That's half the fun!
03-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Whoa awesome-ness! I would love to see some screenshots pretty please?
03-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Oh also, is it safe to assume you will only appear on the leader boards if you're using a non-cheater name? I love how Rogue Touch behaves well with unicode characters for character names. I always feel cheated when I can't play as Sven Bjørgenssün, nordic viking extraordinaire in RPGs.
03-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩 View Post
Whoa awesome-ness! I would love to see some screenshots pretty please?
I'll try to get some ready for you shortly! Taking some snapshots of it on my iPhone now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
Oh also, is it safe to assume you will only appear on the leader boards if you're using a non-cheater name? I love how Rogue Touch behaves well with unicode characters for character names. I always feel cheated when I can't play as Sven Bjørgenssün, nordic viking extraordinaire in RPGs.
Absolutely, If you play as a secret character that will disqualify you from online scoring... We want to see a bunch of unique names and characters, many more "Svens", not a top 10 full of Neo and Drizzt

What everyone should keep in mind is Rogue Touch 1.3 revamps the hall of fame and scoring drastically to pave the way for the online system. What this means is your existing hall of fame is removed and restored to default when updating to version 1.3. From that point on, anything in your top 10 hall of fame will be saved, and when 1.4 is ready your current hall of fame data will uploaded to our servers (with your permission of course, no identifiable user info will be captured, just the hall of fame).

In the short term until those servers are ready you can take screen shots of your 1.3 hall of fame list and post them- the screens will contain all the stats I listed in the first post!

Hope that explains things a bit more

--- ChronoSoft ---
03-13-2009, 02:42 PM
I jsut picked up this game and I love it! But, never having played the original, can you help me with a problem I am having? I have tried a couple different games so far, and the same thing always happens. I explore everywhere on one floor, get all my phat lewts, descend the stairs to the next level, repeat, then at usually the third or fourth level down, I explore all the rooms and can't find any more stairs, so I am stuck. Does this mean the game is over? And what does the magnifying glass do? When i click it, it just says "hmmm..."
03-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Su-weeeeeeet. Really looking forward to the hallway tweak, since that'll bring it up to code with what I've always been used to playing. The new HoF will be great, too. And of course, the new secret characters ... and one in particular.

Hopefully it will turn up this weekend. Then I'll have some time to devote to it.

@NJPodder - The magnifying glass searches your immediate vicinity (in a 3x3 area) for secret doors and hidden traps. Note that it often doesn't find anything on the first try, so you may have to hit it a number of times before it finds anything -- if there's anything to be found.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
03-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPodder View Post
I jsut picked up this game and I love it! But, never having played the original, can you help me with a problem I am having? I have tried a couple different games so far, and the same thing always happens. I explore everywhere on one floor, get all my phat lewts, descend the stairs to the next level, repeat, then at usually the third or fourth level down, I explore all the rooms and can't find any more stairs, so I am stuck. Does this mean the game is over? And what does the magnifying glass do? When i click it, it just says "hmmm..."
The magnifying glass button is for searching... that is the normal way to discover things like secret doors (and traps). Your problem is simply that there is a secret door somewhere that needs to be discovered before you can continue on.

The game doesn't make it easy for you to know, you kind of have to get used to the layout patterns of rooms to have a feeling of where a secret door might be. Sometimes you need to walk down a stretch of wall, back and forth, searching for the secret door over an over again, sometimes it'll be found quickly. Other times you might be in a seemingly dead-end hallway and there will be a secret door there!

A ring of searching will help you find these if you're lucky enough to get one randomly. You can also try playing as "Gimli" from Lord of the Rings to get the hang of it for a while- he can usually detect secret doors automatically, but not always Finally, scrolls of magic mapping can point out where there should be a door for you too.

Edit- ah! Mindfield beat me to it, but I gave you a few more options and details!

--- ChronoSoft ---
03-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Thanks guys! I am loving this game!

Edit: I jsut found the secret door to keep me going. Yay!!