★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Not having to face the real world!

10-18-2010, 12:21 AM
Not having to face the real world!

I always like to throw out crazy ideas to rough up some feathers. Also love to receive and dish out criticism.

Here it goes..

The app store is the best platform ever created for people, not to have to face the real world! Being able to sit at home (mom's basement or not) and have millions of customers at your disposal is awesome. Life skills? What are those? Give me a used mac mini any day of the week over working a minimum wage job.

A new generation that chooses to pass go with out moving and still demanding to collect the 200 $ is a new economy. Work ? Are you kidding me? You want me to do what?

Does it all fall apart when you are standing in front of your future father in
law ( you are dating the pizza girl that delivers your order to the back door ) and you all of a sudden remember that you have absolutely no life skills while you are stuttering to say hello.

STR8TS , STR8TS 6X6 , DOMINO DICE , PUZZLE DICE,
CAVEMAN TEST, 1 TO 25, SUDOKU+STR8TS, ZARTE, ABSORB WATER, YOU, TIME SHEET (PHOTO VERIFIED),Office Alarm, Travel weather, dock clock,
10-18-2010, 05:22 AM
My pizza girl is a 50 year old turkish man. So I won't date her anytime soon

But srlsy working from home does not mean you don't have to pass up on social life. It even means you can have more social life as you can easily decide when you can have free time.

10-18-2010, 08:07 AM
10-18-2010, 08:16 AM
Most of the people I know who work from home (myself included) have awesome social lives because they can schedule their work day around cool crap that's going on. *shrug*
10-18-2010, 09:47 AM
It is different if you already have life skills. Then everything is a lot easier.

If you are starting out in life and choose app development as a profession the danger of addiction is enormous. That addiction can easily keep you away from those life experiences that shape and form your personality.

Awesome times for talented developers but it is also important to keep your world real.

STR8TS , STR8TS 6X6 , DOMINO DICE , PUZZLE DICE,
CAVEMAN TEST, 1 TO 25, SUDOKU+STR8TS, ZARTE, ABSORB WATER, YOU, TIME SHEET (PHOTO VERIFIED),Office Alarm, Travel weather, dock clock,

Last edited by Syndicated Puzzles; 10-18-2010 at 09:51 AM.
10-18-2010, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicated Puzzles View Post
Awesome times for talented developers but it is also important to keep your world real.
Who's to say what's real? You're defining "real" by other people's standards -- or your own desires.

Do what you (not other people) want, if you are not comfortable with that do something else.
10-18-2010, 10:25 AM
10-18-2010, 11:03 AM
I don't even understand what is being argued in this thread anymore. Are we assuming this is taking place in some kind of futuristic dystopian society where you are literally birthed in to your workplace? Why wouldn't you develop social skills through school?
10-18-2010, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicated Puzzles View Post
If you are starting out in life and choose app development as a profession the danger of addiction is enormous. That addiction can easily keep you away from those life experiences that shape and form your personality.
Yeah, if you assume you haven't made any friends in school then probably you're right But then you would be some sort of disturbed personality anyways - indifferent if you made apps or worked at the local grocery store.
10-18-2010, 03:14 PM
"You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and you believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in wonderland. And, I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes"

Follow me on Twitter
Games/Ports I have on Appstore
GeoTris $0.99, iPlutoid Free, Neverputt ME $0.99, Noiz2sa Free Free, Neverputt HD $0.99
Coming this year MiZoo 2, 2 untitled games in work