★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: StusApps
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 7.5 MB
  • Version: 1.1
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: 'A great game of fast finger flipping fun'.

As fast as you can move your hand into the new position on the screen or around your device. Hold it for 3 seconds to make it to the next level.

Try to beat your best time and level to brag to your friends.

Features:

*20 fun filled levels
*Fast finger fun
*Time and level results after each game

StusApps's comments:
Hi guys,

Thought this one was worth a post here. Way back a long long time ago I created a little game titled 'Avoid Holding it That Way'. A fun little distraction that aimed to help you learn to hold your iphone 4 in a way that wouldn't stop it working. Sadly apple sat on the game for 8 weeks in review, avoided answering emails and then finally rejected it.

Below is a conversation I had with Richard Chipman from apple, who just wouldn't quite come round to giving their whole reasoning.

In the end I decided that I would rename the game and release (moral high ground is nice, but ultimately pointless). So finger flex was born.

Below are also some promo codes if anyone is interested.

This is the original promo video:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Here is the chat I had with apple:

RC: Obviously there are some functionality issues with your application.

Me: How so?

RC: Well we have guidelines on the functionality of applications that are submitted

Me: Can you expand on what exactly you mean by that?

RC: Why don't you explain to me what your app does

Me: Ok, it is a game where you have to press on the fingertips with your fingers and move them to new positions for each level. The game calculates how many positions you do in a set amount of time. It's a little like some of the finger twister games already on the app store.

RC: And what are you avoiding holding that way?

Me: The aim is to avoid holding it wrong.

RC: So you don't see that the title is trying to suggest different functionality (words to that effect).

Me: Why don't you tell me what you think?

RC: I think you are trying to move this conversation in a certain direction.

Me: Not at all, I think maybe you didn't like the title.

RC: I think with the title you are trying to make fun of one of our recent responses.

Me: So it is the title you don't like.

RC: No, but when you take the title and functionality they don't match up.

Me: But with a different title then it might get approved?

RC: If the functionality matched the title that might help.

Me: How about I change the functionality to match the title then, that would be better as well?

RC: We think you are trying to make fun of something we said and the functionality isn't the same as the title.

Me: Well which is it? Functionality or title?

RC: Changing the title might help.

Me: **Bit of a rant about poor communication**

RC: I have a job to do and we are trying to help you get your app approved.

Me: So it is the title this was rejected on?

RC: All I'm saying is change the title and resubmit

**General niceness and goodbyes**

And finally, if you got this far, here are some promo codes:

JNXFAKENWXHK
PTPN7W7KFYEE
HXMXXNYRPE7F
4RNNAPKR9XNJ
MHX7YMMFRTPA
K7FMHM94KEX9
99NTKP7TAYXH
HKEJPRFTTX3R
HH9EPFEFAJTT
W49H3M9W37HN
6KKXAEK3WT96
KE39TL9FNF43
MJR3W9F4K4HW
NY6Y7EHTXKHT
KHA7YFMRE44K
AJW6KA4AMHX9
RKHTKJEFKHR4
9RLR9WYXXXM9
LWHFKLMM3KYF
JNKKJAA37JAY

Cheers

Stu
10-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Avoid making fun of a company which is supposed to host your app.

10-18-2010, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImNoSuperMan View Post
That is one way of looking at it. I prefer to think that a sense of humour in the face of adversity is best.
10-18-2010, 09:35 AM
RKHTKJEFKHR4

Cheers friend!

Invaders Must Die.
10-18-2010, 09:39 AM
Took LWHFKLMM3KYF. Thanks!
10-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Bit of a weird situation there, but nonetheless congrats on getting it approved.

Sokaroka
Graal HQ - http://graal-ta.weebly.com/
(Very outdated, haven't played Graal in years, but still has some decent guides etc. if you wanna update it/take over feel free to PM me)
10-18-2010, 09:54 AM
Quote:
How about provide clear, precise answers to the developers that are using your service so that they can fix what ever you think is wrong with their apps.

JNKKJAA37JAY, Thanks!

"The previous Dead Trigger thread was the most reported thread in the TouchArcade forum's history." - Eli Hodapp
10-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureSkill View Post
How about provide clear, precise answers to the developers that are using your service so that they can fix what ever you think is wrong with their apps.
looks like they explained it pretty well in that convo. there wasnt much their to explain anyways as it was pretty obvious what the dev intended with this name.

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 10-18-2010 at 09:59 AM.
10-18-2010, 10:05 AM
Quote:
looks like they explained it pretty damn well in that convo. there wasnt much their to explain anyways as it was pretty obvious what the dev intended with this name.
Where was their well explained reason for not approving the app while it was being reviewed, huh? ya, there was none.

and functionality issues with your application? What functionality issue? That is NOT a clear answer. The only functionality issue was Apple.

I could understand if the app had steve jobs pop out and say "Don't hold the iphone like that or else it won't work" when you held it a certain way or something, but
it is only a simple game that just happened to have a title that used an aspect of the companies well known history. No reason for Apple to get all defensive over it and then finally reject the app after sitting on it for such a long time.

"The previous Dead Trigger thread was the most reported thread in the TouchArcade forum's history." - Eli Hodapp

Last edited by PureSkill; 10-18-2010 at 10:10 AM.
10-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureSkill View Post
Where was their well explained reason for not approving the app while it was being reviewed, huh? ya, there was none.

and functionality issues with your application? What functionality issue? That is NOT a clear answer. The only functionality issue was Apple.

I could understand if the app had steve jobs pop out and say "Don't hold the iphone like that or else it won't work" when you held it a certain way or something, but
it is only a simple game that just happened to have a title that used an aspect of the companies well known history. No reason for Apple to get all defensive over it and then finally reject the app after sitting on it for such a long time.
I think this is an instance of what can't be said gets talked around in circles. There is a difference between implied and obvious humor. This was obviously an instance of a direct jab at a recent issue that Apple had. Their conversation with the developer shows that the employee can't directly communicate the issue for fear that SAYING what is obvious might start a campaign of admission of fault. The developer didn't directly come out and make fun of Apple but implied it. The employee didn't directly come out and say we can't approve your app because it makes fun of us but implied it.

So yes, Apple can reject whatever they want, especially if it makes fun of themselves - implied or otherwise.

But Kudos to the developer for changing the title and making lemonade out of lemons. Probably not the desired effect you were going for, but it is finally published all the same. Though might have been better to name this thread the REAL app name rather than your WISHED for name.