★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Virtual D-Pad - Yes or No ?

View Poll Results: is the virtual d-pad really nessesary on most games?
yes 32 57.14%
no 24 42.86%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll
03-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Virtual D-Pad - Yes or No ?

hi iphone gamers

i would like to know if u prefer playing with some kind of virtual d-pad or not.

i think heroes of sparta was nice with the d-pad. BIA got i good too, but the developers should more konzentrate on the touchscreen (multitouch) feature. look over at the nintendo ds and get some idea how they implement the touch in their games.

i want to see some gems, onscreen controlled like zelda phantom hourglass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCqfajtr2VI

or ninja gaiden ds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umx1uvUhP6Q

just to you the idea what im talking about.

i think touch gestures are the future, what about you?
do you like dumb thumb controlling?
03-13-2009, 06:02 PM
I'd like a mix of the two. Kinda like in HoS, when you made swipes and pressed dots when you were killing a boss.

Plus+/OpenFeint Username: gscal

03-13-2009, 06:09 PM
It really depends on the game. Would you want to play iDracula with swipe and accelerometer control? How about a Mario Brothers type game. Now look at Monkey Ball ---it needs it.

So it is game dependant ---- I like a good game that uses a good control scheme --- really depends.

So I vote yes and no!

"e" TENNIS ---play this and you owe me $1
Look Right............................................. ........................Look Left
03-13-2009, 06:11 PM
yes a very good use of it.
animated action released on touch.
batmobile game had it. too bad it is only one scene.

--
i did not play iDracula but from what ive seen on screenshoots i think it would really need it. ive seen people want to call it a diablo clone, but diablo only had 2 buttons. left and right mouse button. thats all it need.

there are so many ways of touching. mario is simple touch: left, right, tap to jump, swipe down to duck. why not doin in the actual screen, i dont need no buttons for that.

its true that it really depends on the game, but there is so much more.

Last edited by geelet; 03-13-2009 at 06:25 PM.
03-13-2009, 06:15 PM
I hate virtual D-pads and have to date always been disappointed to find them in an App I've purchased. I understand why they are sometimes necessary, and wouldn't rule out using them in our own Apps in the future, but personally I'd much rather touch the screen directly to do what I want to do, rather than use a virtual D-pad to enter directions.

Recently bought Baseball Superstars 2009 from Gamevil ... it looks like a quality App with lots of depth, but I blew out trying to field and pitch with a virtual D-pad. I never liked those controls on consoles but they were they were a necessary evil. For the iPhone I expect to tap the base I'm throwing toward, touch the part of the strike zone I'm aiming at, etc.

Paul O'Connor
Appy Entertainment
dev blog: http://www.appygamesblog.com/
twitter: @Appy
03-13-2009, 06:25 PM
generally, no.
I don't like to see the paradigm of gaming systems different from the iphone having to be simulated on screen. Iphone games should have controls that fit the iphone. Anyway if you consider the controls of games such iDracula, that maybe can technically be considered d-pads but in reality take advantage of the characteristics of the device, they can be ok.
03-13-2009, 06:31 PM
No with the exception of EDGE. Virtual D-pads just suck because don't have the "feel".

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread
03-13-2009, 07:23 PM
I disagree, you don't need the 'feel' - you can already see your character moving or whatever it is you're doing. But it really depends on how the D-pad is being used - do you obscure your character? Is the game too fast paced for you to keep up with it AND working the control pad at the same time?

Archibald's Adventures really nailed the D-pad - it's big enough, but you can always see what you are doing.

Edit: I voted no because I prefer touch/accelerometer controls, but do see the use in a D pad for more precise input.

Games Uncovered: The best iPhone gaming news and reviews.
www.gamesuncovered.com
twitter.com/gamesuncovered
youtube.com/gamesuncovered
03-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Depends on the game I guess. Some need it, some don't,
03-13-2009, 08:24 PM
I think a virtual d-pad is necessary for some games... but whenever I use a virtual d-pad, it feels like a really poor substitute for the real thing... the real solution is having a real D-pad accessory for the iphone/ipod touch...