★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Asterope [+ Bonus for game developers]

10-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Asterope [+ Bonus for game developers]

Hey guys,

I hope this is not inappropriate but I did see some other posts that works as advertisement for some independent developers' games. Instead of faking a "Oh look what I found, this game is cool" I thought I'd rather be honest about it.

So this is my game Asterope:

And it's website: www.AsteropeGame.com

And PocketGamer's review: Asterope Review @ PocketGamer

iTunes Link: Asterope in iTunes

But there's something else I wanted to share with this community, you seem to be a very active community (The most active iPhone Game community?). I wrote an article on how I did the game, I don't focus much on the code but more what steps to take from a bigger point of view and how to keep motivated.

It's at GameDev.Net: Start to Finish: Publishing a Commercial iPhone Game

I hope you give it a peak and get some good value from it!! And please comment and fire questions at me about the development progress if you have any. I'll be glad to answer anything.

Niklas

Oh, and BTW I lowered the price today, gonna keep it lowered until the end of this month.
10-22-2008, 05:44 PM
Hey nix I already had a post of your game here

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=572

I actually enjoyed it, my only quip is that I hope that there will be an update that will add more missions as I think the original 10 ones was really short

And regarding the price drop, I think I predicted that too on my post last week

10-22-2008, 05:59 PM
Hey, Mr. Developer!

I'm going to buy this game and try it out; just because you were honest about this game, and the price drop.

Nixarn; please stay here at touchArcade and post every day. I've found that known developers in the community tend to get more potential buyers.

Armbruster
10-22-2008, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudehuge View Post
Hey nix I already had a post of your game here

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=572

I actually enjoyed it, my only quip is that I hope that there will be an update that will add more missions as I think the original 10 ones was really short

And regarding the price drop, I think I predicted that too on my post last week
Oh, cool, didn't notice that one. And _lol_ at the comment "Mr. Dev, shamelessly plugging your own game. For shame." I guess it's a common practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armbruster View Post
Hey, Mr. Developer!

I'm going to buy this game and try it out; just because you were honest about this game, and the price drop.

Nixarn; please stay here at touchArcade and post every day. I've found that known developers in the community tend to get more potential buyers.

Armbruster
Yeah, I'll try to do that, looks like the most active iPhone game related forum out there.
10-22-2008, 06:42 PM
welcome to the board my friend! I've had my eye on your app since it's release, and I think it's about time I gave it a shot!
10-22-2008, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixarn View Post
Oh, cool, didn't notice that one. And _lol_ at the comment "Mr. Dev, shamelessly plugging your own game. For shame." I guess it's a common practice.
I take the blame on that one, arn doesn't want that anymore though.

Hey I read your article, it is great by the way.
10-22-2008, 10:10 PM
Looks Good

I might get it. Seems like a little too much. A dollar less would be a good price. It should also have more levels.
One question: Do you have to press the button to stop hanging on or can you just touch anywhere on the screen?
10-23-2008, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixarn View Post
I wrote an article on how I did the game, I don't focus much on the code but more what steps to take from a bigger point of view and how to keep motivated.
Awesome, I love reading post-mortems. Seems like you have some good advice in the article - staying motivated is definitely the toughest part of (single person) game development.

Hopefully Apple will allow developers to share coding advice with newcomers/the world. I'd love to make a game for the iPod/iPhone, but it'll be hard to get into it without a large body of online advice for the language.
10-23-2008, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockey04 View Post
One question: Do you have to press the button to stop hanging on or can you just touch anywhere on the screen?
I think we must press the button, but I like your idea. We should be able to tap anywhere to release the rope.
10-23-2008, 04:26 AM
That's an excellent article, thank you for sharing your experiences and development process. Haven't tried the game yet, but I'll think I'll grab a copy today

"Arthur & Charles Present Create & Play" now available on the App Store
iTunes - Arthur & Charles Website