★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Sudoku Grab

03-13-2009, 07:31 PM
Sudoku Grab

Hey all,

Love the site. Been lurking for a little while and thought it was about time I posted something.
I've always been a fan of sudoku and thought I'd try and raise the profile of a game that I believe deserves a lot of attention.

The game is called 'Sudoku Grab' and as well as it being a great sudoku game in its own right, it also offers the ability to capture sudoku puzzles from newspapers and magazines by using the iPhone camera and either store them to be solved later on, or to solve them right there and then.

I have no relation to the program or author but I feel that the program deserves more recognition than it is currently getting.

It is currently only 0.59 in iTunes and I hope people agree that this is one of the overlooked gems.

p.s. yes, I've had a little bit of vodka to drink but I can still sort of type a sentence
03-13-2009, 07:56 PM
this is a good program (obviously you do need to like sudoku - if you dont go to another thread)
i picked this up very early and have been in contact with the dev who is very responsive and already put out a 1.1 update which solved a couple of initial difficulties.

If you like sudoku, well instead of spending your time typing in numbers from the paper just take a picture and then complete the days puzzle on your iphone !
Very useful for avoiding buying all papers

03-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the feedback

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the great feedback.

I'm starting on version 1.3, there's been a lot of people asking for undo and redo so I'll be adding that. I've also had complaints about the reset button being to easy to hit - so I'll move that behind the menu as well.

Any other suggestions, just drop me an email or leave a comment on the blog.

I'm going to take a look at doing gesture recognition so you can draw the number on the screen to enter it - that might be something for version 1.4

03-13-2009, 08:18 PM
hallo iamflimflam1

assuming you are the dev ?

Congrats on your prog !

I'm going to take a look at doing gesture recognition so you can draw the number on the screen to enter it - that might be something for version 1.4
my personal opinion for this - don't bother !
I've had this with one other sudoku program - it was bloody irritating and got deleted
03-13-2009, 08:38 PM
Another quick question - at the moment in the app store and in itunes the name is "Sudoku Grab ....and a load of square boxes"

Obviously not written but grapically!

Any ideas why ?
03-14-2009, 05:05 AM
Square boxes

Thanks, yes I am the dev. I really enjoyed writing the program - it's nice when something like this actually works!

Are you running on Windows XP?

I got one of my Japanese friends to translate a simple phrase - something along the lines of "shoot the puzzle and play" as I was gettting some good sales in Japan. Of course it might say anything!

They should show up as Japanese characters - I wonder if it's not working on some versions of iTunes.

I'll play with the internationalisation options and see if it can be set to only show in Japan.

03-14-2009, 05:12 AM
Dev might wanna add a link to the app, maybe...?

Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth Parachute Panic Chicken Raid
Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox
03-14-2009, 08:38 AM
Link to app

Not sure what the rules on posting links are here.

Here's a link to the app store.

There's a cool video on you tube. It's from the first version of the app and only really shows the puzzle grabbing.

The music is a bit cheesy, but it's from a old childrens program we had when I was growing up called "Think of a Number"... seemed appropriate

There's more info on the app here.

You can also take a look at the sales stats - averaging about 20 a day at the moment, with occasional bursts of activity when the app gets mentioned on big web sites.
03-14-2009, 09:18 AM
The only option I can think of that I'd like to see would be a choice of different background colours. Nothing drastic, just a choice of light creams and grays.
03-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Background colours

Sounds easy enough. I'll put it on the list for version 1.3