★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Bulkypix
  • Genre: Family
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 255.8 MB
  • Version: 1.0
  • Price: $3.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: - Last King of Africa HD - Episode 1: Madargane

Discover now Last King of Africa in HD! Contemplate the beautiful landscape of Maurania in full screen and use the new interface specifically designed for iPad.

Benot Sokal's masterpiece finally adapted for the iPad.

A great, mysterious adventure filled with twists and turns that will lead you to the heart of the wonderful imaginary country of Maurania. Exciting riddles will make you progress in an extraordinary story with a captivating storyline.

After her plane crashes, a young woman called Ann Smith wakes up in the hospital of Madargane, a city located North of the African country of Maurania.
Who is she? What did she come to do here? Why do all those who meet her speak fearfully of king Rodon, dictator and absolute maser of Maurania? And what is the true role of the black leopard that is strangely connected to Ann?
Ann Smith will have to solve all these mysteries in a fascinating quest to find her own identity.

Last King of Africa - Key features:

The first game on iPad from Benot Sokal, master of adventure (Syberia, Amerzone, etc.).
Beautiful graphics and impressive cinematics.
A unique atmosphere with dozens of different places to explore.
A story filled with riddles and encounters.
Many different characters.
An interface perfectly adapted to the iPad's tactile screen.
Trophies and bonuses to unlock: collect all the emeralds from Rodon's lost Treasure.

Last King of Africa (PC and NDS) - What the press has to say:

17/20, an essential game" - Jeuxvideopc
Puzzles that are challenging, but make intuitive sense. Beautifully rendered and highly detailed art Gamespot
Stunningly beautiful" - Figaro Magazine
Our personal favorite Le Nouvel Observateur

goiMot's comments:

iPhone version:
10-20-2010, 03:29 AM
I'm a huge fan of Benoit Sokal's games (Syberia, Amazon and this one which was originally named Paradise). I was glad to see this released for the iPhone and bought it right away.

The graphics are gorgeous as to be expected from a Sokal game, but unfortunately Bulkypix decided to "dumb down" the game. Many inventory based puzzles from the original game are not included and seem to be replaced by a "find the object" hunt for jewels.

You may enjoy this if you have not played the original version of Paradise, but be warned that this episode is very short (look at the reviews for the iPhone version). If you have played the original version, be prepared to be very disappointed in this port.
10-20-2010, 06:51 AM
I was afraid of that.
Guess I will skip this one then..
I do have the Iphone version, and noticed all the cutting too.
LOL even the DS version has all the puzzles in it... so why cut down for the ipad/itouch... Space is not an issue.
10-20-2010, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pka4916 View Post
I was afraid of that.
Guess I will skip this one then..
I do have the Iphone version, and noticed all the cutting too.
LOL even the DS version has all the puzzles in it... so why cut down for the ipad/itouch... Space is not an issue.
I agree on the space issue. Sokal is a brilliant developer and his games always have perfect balance - I just can't imagine why anyone would want to change his designs. I hope that when Syberia is (finally) released it will be in its original form.