★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: The Magic Blackboard

03-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
The Magic Blackboard

Anyone give this one a try? Looks interesting and a little quirky. If no one has, then I'll probably give it a shot, simply because it is by the same developer as Snail Mail, which was/is a great game.

Link here:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=306837604&mt=8
03-13-2009, 09:19 PM
So what is it exactly? The app secription isn't enough to tell. (and the pictures aren't descriptive either.) it looks like a brick breaker game.

Edit: yay, 1000 post!

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread

03-13-2009, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iago View Post
Anyone give this one a try? Looks interesting and a little quirky. If no one has, then I'll probably give it a shot, simply because it is by the same developer as Snail Mail, which was/is a great game.

Link here:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=306837604&mt=8
the snail mail dev.? awesome!

EDIT: just went to the itunes page, it looks AMAZING! It looks like an arkanoid type game. 12 bosses, 72 powerups, 16 balls? WOW!! ill try to make myself wait for reviews and stuff, but ill probably end up breaking down and buying it.

Last edited by anduril_ukr; 03-13-2009 at 09:40 PM.
03-13-2009, 09:57 PM
anyone gonna TOFTT?

its so hard to resist pressing the buy button . . .
03-13-2009, 09:58 PM
How much? I might pick it up tommorow.

EDIT: It's $2.99. Possibly....maybe....

I'm a staff editor at GamePodunk.com. Follow me on Twitter (@HLLivingLoco) for games and fun!
03-13-2009, 10:02 PM
heres a link where you can buy a demo of the pc version(theres also screenshots): http://www.alpha72.com/MagicBlackboa...blackboard.htm

heres the description of the pc version:

"Use your bat to keep the balls in play and destroy all the bricks to progress through hundreds of levels. The slowly descending bricks encourage strategic play, while the large number of power up's and ball types give endless combinations of gameplay. The Magic Blackboard features a custom built graphics engine which provides fantastic visual effects that makes this game look like no other.

The Magic Blackboard features many breakout variants including 3D roller coasters, Space Invaders, Pong, Duck Shoot, and levels where you get to draw your own pictures !

Also included are 132 challenging puzzle levels where, using just your bat and a ball, you have to destroy all the bricks by creating groups of three or more of the same type."

so it is a breakout game, but with a lot of gameplay twists. the pc version is fifteen bucks, so three bucks is quite a steal.
03-13-2009, 10:16 PM
That looks like a fantastic game! I can't find any videos of it
03-13-2009, 11:06 PM
well, just bought the game - its downloading now. will leave impressions once i have played it. i bought it after trying out the pc trial version - which is great. its easy, but its just because the demo is really a trial, and so you have to start from the beginning, which is of course easy. its really fun and has a big variety of gameplay.
03-14-2009, 01:58 AM
Looks interesting. ^ ^

Watchlist+1

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc
03-14-2009, 05:14 PM
well, after playing it a while - i must say, it AWESOME! This game is very addicting and just packed with things to do. theres a puzzle mode and arcade mode. in the arcade mode, there are tons of variants of gameplay. the game is HUGE also, as i have spent about an hour and a half and am less than a tenth of the way done the arcade part of the game. this game will probably take almost fifteen hours for the whole thing. its easy - but it doesn't matter, its just fun. i have noticed a gentle difficulty curve, and as this game is huge, if it continues it will eventually be quite difficult. there are, however, a few gripes i have with this game. the first, is that the music doesn't fit at all. secondly, the touch controls seem like an afterthought. when you attain certain powerups like a gun, it acts like you are constantly shooting, and so you run out of ammo quickly. these are not major, but are an annoyance. overall, though, i would definitely recommend this not just to breakout fans but to everyone willing to try a fun and deep game.