★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Steal My Game Idea!

10-20-2010, 08:06 AM
Steal My Game Idea!

Hey everybody. Ray Merkler here, long time lurker, first time poster. Founder, proprietor, and official Only Guy Who Works Here of Hindrances to Progress, a game studio like no other, for you see, I'm the only person in it and I work on my games in my spare time to grow my business when I'm not at my day job! How novel!

I've been working on my first game for a few months now, and I recently decided to try a little experiment. I just replaced my "company"'s placeholder page with a blog a couple weeks ago, and on that blog (www.hindrances.com), I'm going to talk about absolutely everything that goes on over the development of my game, with as much transparency as possible. Will it be fun to watch every detail of the game dev goings-on of someone who's never actually f inished a game before? I think YES, because I have the optimism!

This week in particular, as a kind of long-winded opinion piece, I'm taking on the issue of fledgling game devs who refuse to talk about their projects or ask people to sign ridiculous NDAs for fear of having their ideas stolen. To show that they're worried about nothing, I'm posting detailed descriptions of all of my favorite game ideas that are in my queue for future development, and issuing the challenge: "Steal my game idea. Go on. Bother to do so."

That's just this week, though. There's more in store. I'll be putting myself completely out there, talking about everything that's going right or wrong, where my weaknesses are, how I'm getting around them, what's getting done, what's not. If nothing else, popular culture has proven weak to narcissism, so at least I've got that working for me.

The Steal My Game Idea series will be collected together here: http://www.hindrances.com/category/steal-my-game-idea/
And the whole blog itself can be found here: http://www.hindrances.com/

Plug plug plug, whore whore whore. Hope some of you will check it out!
10-20-2010, 08:42 AM
can I steal your "steal my game idea" idea?

10-20-2010, 09:40 AM
Our own game queue is already too long to worry about stealing other people's stuff
10-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure Industries View Post
Our own game queue is already too long to worry about stealing other people's stuff
My point exactly!
10-20-2010, 11:06 AM
In my experience, people who try and steal ideas are too lazy to actually see the ideas through to the end.

That being said, I applaud your bravery it takes some guts to do that which I still don't have. I'll be reading your blog!
10-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks, BravadoWaffle!
10-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Just added the newest post in the series: Guys! Stop Pressing Buttons!

http://www.hindrances.com/2010/10/20...ssing-buttons/

Steal it! Go on then!
10-20-2010, 06:34 PM
Interesting. I'll also be following the blog.
10-20-2010, 07:09 PM
as much as I laugh at the idea I'm still reluctant to post my own game ideas.

Because I happen to think my ideas are pretty good and you just know there are people lurking waiting to steal something.

In the spirit I'll post one of my lesser ideas:

How about somebody make a doodle jump style game where you're in a helicopter flying up.
10-20-2010, 08:14 PM
Yeah, I have a head full of thoughts that I am apprehensive about putting out there as well. In my experience, other people have actually had the same ideas as me to whatever degree (and to large, or not, coincidence).

I do agree, for the most part (and depending on one's level of profile) the danger of doing so is relative. Also, so many of us have ideas that never come anywhere near fruition anyway.

Interesting idea though, and I admire your bravado! You really do need to make some kind of bold statement these days to register on the radar (although lately, it's looking more and more like it needs to be of the "standing naked on top of a bus" variety)