★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Halcyon (from creator of Bit Pilot and Unify)

10-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Halcyon (from creator of Bit Pilot and Unify)

Hey guys, I wanted to post a preview video of my upcoming iPad game Halcyon. It's an action puzzle game / musical instrument.

If you liked Unify, you will definitely enjoy Halcyon.

This is a preview of an entire single play-through of Aggression Endless mode. The endless modes in Halcyon dynamically adjust difficulty to challenge the player no matter their skill level. Aggression tries to make you lose, while harmony (not shown) is more of a zen mode, encouraging you to play longer and feel like you are doing better. Sorry about the iffy quality of the video. swamped with development on a few projects so I didn't have time for an HD trailer yet, and I wanted to show something to you guys as soon as possible

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Youtube link | Pop Up

Halcyon is named for the mythological bird of ancient Greece, said to charm the winds and seas into a calm during the Winter Solstice.

It is a spacial action puzzle game and interactive stringed instrument designed specifically for the iPad. Colored currents are fated to travel the length of the strings inexorably toward each other. Strum the strings to manipulate the currents to their matching colors, creating both phonic and visual harmony. Take on the role of the Halcyon, conducting nature, and bringing calm to the wind, sea, land, and stars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2010.10.20 12.30.58.png
Views:	1
Size:	489.6 KB
ID:	24530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2010.10.20 12.25.12.png
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	24531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2010.10.20 12.28.30.png
Views:	0
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	24532  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2010.10.20 12.31.26.png
Size:	497.5 KB
ID:	24533  

Last edited by stfj; 10-20-2010 at 11:48 AM. Reason: added a screenshot
10-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Looks fun!

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews

10-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Yes, looks fun.

-----
On GC I am FPEX
10-20-2010, 12:28 PM
That looks great!

Is it multitouch? (i.e. can we shift triangles on both sites of the screen ala Unify?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
10-20-2010, 12:58 PM
it sure is. It's also pretty interesting to it co-op play with a friend (putting the ipad between you and each taking a side)
10-20-2010, 03:31 PM
It looks really fun, but I'm not a big fan of the art. I loved the art in Bit Pilot though. So will there be an iPhone version?

Upcoming Games: CJS2, Racing Apex, High Strangeness, Dino Run, Super Feed Me, Mimeo and the Kleptopus King, Loot, Run Run Dash, Pogo Rampage, Burrito Bison, Star Saver, Pocket Cars, Rock Rider, THEM, Prince of Europa, Epic Dive, One Tap Hero
10-20-2010, 03:36 PM
@doodlejumper I'm sorry you're not into the art it's definitely targeted more in the abstract representational direction of unify than bit pilot... and to keep disappointing, there probably wont be an iphone version either.

the game was really designed from the ground up to be for the ipad. the mechanic is built around the idea of using multitouch and the large screen size to drive a unique puzzle game.

I hope that if you have an iPad you still check it out though. I think you'll enjoy it if you were into bit pilot. Both games play off a similar part of the brain.
10-20-2010, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stfj View Post
@doodlejumper I'm sorry you're not into the art it's definitely targeted more in the abstract representational direction of unify than bit pilot... and to keep disappointing, there probably wont be an iphone version either.

the game was really designed from the ground up to be for the ipad. the mechanic is built around the idea of using multitouch and the large screen size to drive a unique puzzle game.

I hope that if you have an iPad you still check it out though. I think you'll enjoy it if you were into bit pilot. Both games play off a similar part of the brain.
It's not that the art is bad, but I'm not much for abstract. And that's a big bummer about the iPhone version, this looks epic and I won't be getting an iPad anytime soon if at all.

Upcoming Games: CJS2, Racing Apex, High Strangeness, Dino Run, Super Feed Me, Mimeo and the Kleptopus King, Loot, Run Run Dash, Pogo Rampage, Burrito Bison, Star Saver, Pocket Cars, Rock Rider, THEM, Prince of Europa, Epic Dive, One Tap Hero
11-08-2010, 02:39 AM
holy shit you're a master at this game! multitakers never were my type of game though, so i dont think i'll be missing out. i've got my good ol' ipod with bit pilot to keep me company

Beta tester of 54 games
Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
Thats a nice lookin gun.
11-08-2010, 03:36 AM
ahaha,. sorry to hear that you're not into multitaskers, but glad to hear you're still playing Bit Pilot..... there might be something nice around christmas time for you regarding that.....