★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Distant Star -- an Old-School 4x Space Game for iPad

10-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Send a message via AIM to Doches
Distant Star -- an Old-School 4x Space Game for iPad

I'm gearing up for the first release of Distant Star, a 4x (explore, expand, exploit, exterminate) space game. It's a giant, touch-based love letter to classic 4x space games like Master of Orion and Spaceward Ho!, mixed in with some of the better ideas from Sword of the Stars and Civ V. The game is almost done -- I'm putting the finishing touches on the AI as you read this -- and I'm looking for a double-handful of eager old-school gamers to give it a good beta-testing.

There's a ton more screenshots over at my dev blog for the game, where I'm posting regular updates. If you're interested, take a look -- and if you want to get your hands on a pre-release copy (and help make the final game even better!) let me know!

I'm aiming for an early-November release, so keep your eyes peeled for updates on Distant Star over the next few weeks!
10-21-2010, 12:15 AM
Seems something something I would like, let me know if can help testing help.

F.

-----
On GC I am FPEX

Last edited by FPE; 10-21-2010 at 12:32 AM.

10-21-2010, 12:28 AM
if you'd like some beta testing help, I wouldn't mind offering my services!

GameCenter / plus+ / Crystal ID: MeteorFlare
OpenFeint: MeteorFlye
10-21-2010, 08:57 AM
I would be up for helping test as well. Always looking to recapture that old-school PC feel.
10-21-2010, 09:29 AM
Holy crap, I'd love a hardcore 4X game on the iPhone!

If only I had time to play it, I'd be thrilled to help test...

Keep us informed, I'll definitely pick this up when it comes out, time to play or no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
10-21-2010, 10:52 AM
I'll beta test. I've been waiting and drooling for some old school moo style 4x for my ipad since i got it! can't wait
10-21-2010, 03:21 PM
I've never beta tested before, but I'd be willing to help.

plus+: Collokey
"Words/Chess With Friends": Collokey
10-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Happy to see some competition brewing in the MOO-inspired-4x niche!
10-24-2010, 07:10 PM
Send a message via AIM to Doches
Beta

The first round beta is out! If you're still interested in playing an early version of the game, send me a PM and I'll get you in on the second round.

In the meantime, what are some cool features that you think the game needs to include? Right now I'm working on tracking a bunch of stats (in preparation for supporting GameCenter achievements), but I'd love to hear some ideas from you guys on what a 4x game like this needs to have, or what neat things you liked from other 4x games. Talk to me!
10-25-2010, 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doches View Post
The first round beta is out! If you're still interested in playing an early version of the game, send me a PM and I'll get you in on the second round.

In the meantime, what are some cool features that you think the game needs to include? Right now I'm working on tracking a bunch of stats (in preparation for supporting GameCenter achievements), but I'd love to hear some ideas from you guys on what a 4x game like this needs to have, or what neat things you liked from other 4x games. Talk to me!
Randomization! A different map every time I play, please!

And multiple difficulties.

plus+: Collokey
"Words/Chess With Friends": Collokey