★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Which is the best TD game and why ?

03-14-2009, 04:30 AM
Which is the best TD game and why ?

Since owning my iTouch I have bought a lot of apps but I haven't yet coughed up for a TD type game. I just don't know which to try. So, as the title says, which one would YOU recommend and why ?
Any info is appreciated.

edit: I have a inkling as to which one you guys will recommend I just want to be sure.

Last edited by appaddiCt; 03-14-2009 at 04:32 AM. Reason: you can see ?!
03-14-2009, 04:39 AM
* Have you played a lot of tower defense games before?
* Is depth more important to you than surface (i.e. nice graphics)?
* Many smaller maps or fewer longer lasting ones?
* Does price matter?

There are many great ones, I think it is just a matter of taste really.

03-14-2009, 04:50 AM
Hi Anders,
Im sort of on the fence for Touchgrind and Sway ATM. Persuade me to get em. LIke upcoming updates and other fixtures. Dont say other people like it.

On topic: Try Tap Defense and state what you like about it and what you dont and work from there. its free.
03-14-2009, 04:54 AM
Just buy Fieldrunners, you can't really go wrong.
03-14-2009, 05:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphie View Post
Hi Anders,
Im sort of on the fence for Touchgrind and Sway ATM. Persuade me to get em. LIke upcoming updates and other fixtures. Dont say other people like it.

On topic: Try Tap Defense and state what you like about it and what you dont and work from there. its free.
Touchgrind is a game that will keep you busy for a long long time as it requires skill and has innovative controls, you'll appreciate it a lot especially if you are a skater in real life.

These are the things we have added/fixed/tweaked since 1.0 (mostly from users' requests):

* Added a new board for compensating for the bug in 1.1.0
* Added online highscore and ranking!
* Increased 99999 trick score limit
* Added inverted kickturn (optional)
* Modified darkslides to make them easier to flip out of
* Added session markers
* Added support for instant replays
* Improved obstacle icon behavior
* Faster turning, loosened trucks
* Bigger training park
* More intuitive menu navigation

The next update will include a board editor, see video here

Sway is a bit easier to appreciate -- it's cute and has innovative controls and the same high level of polish. You'll be swaying and swinging in no time. The next update, which was submitted about a week ago and will hopefully be out any day now, includes a bunch of new levels and new characters to unlock.

You can stay up tp date with news about updates etc at twitter.com/illusionlabs

With that said, you are welcome to PM me with any more questions or write something in the other Touchgrind and Sway threads floating around. Let us keep this thread to TD games.

Back to topic:

If you're new to TD games, buy Fieldrunners. If you are a hardcore TD player, go with geoDefense. I haven't played the other TD games on the AppStore (yet), so I cannot comment on those.

Last edited by Anders; 03-14-2009 at 05:04 AM.
03-14-2009, 05:06 AM
Geo Defense - easy to play, simple but nice graphics, good challenge, addictive
03-14-2009, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by appaddiCt View Post
Since owning my iTouch I have bought a lot of apps but I haven't yet coughed up for a TD type game. I just don't know which to try. So, as the title says, which one would YOU recommend and why ?
Any info is appreciated.

edit: I have a inkling as to which one you guys will recommend I just want to be sure.
Fieldrunners is on sale now so I'd definately recommend that. It's one of the first TD games to be released and IMHO is still one of the best!
03-14-2009, 05:11 AM
Send a message via AIM to s0mah Send a message via Yahoo to s0mah
I'll take 7 Cities for figure out how to work the complicated button called 'search', Mr. Trebek.

twitter @ here
teh myspace @ &here
03-14-2009, 05:13 AM
Check out all the lite and free TD games first to see what kind of TD you like the best. There's 7 Cities Lite, Creeps Lite, Sentinel Lite, Free Towers, Tap Defense and many other great tower defenses for free.

The TD genre has many interesting variations, there's no reason to jump into the Fieldrunners bandwagon without checking the competition. Fieldrunners is very popular, but it is also one of the oldest and IMO the shallowest TD available in appstore.
03-14-2009, 06:01 AM
If you start with Geo Defense all the other games will seem simple. I think Creeps would be a good one to start with, then Fieldrunners, then Geo, then Sentinel. This list is not best to worst, it is what I would suggest first to last. If you like all of them, then get the others when you are ready for new games.