★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Grid Monsters
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 51.7 MB
  • Version: 7.0
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: Hungry Helga HD is now free for a limited time! After September 17th we will be leaving the App Store. Thank you for your support!

"Hungry Helga is a fun and charming game, with a bit of that one more go addictiveness." - appaddict.net

Featured as one of Apple's Overall New and Noteworthy Apps!

"5-stars. Crisp, loud graphics packaged into a slightly insane game scenario guaranteed to immerse your senses." AppVader.com

"Hungry Helga HD is definitely kid approved and something the whole family could enjoy together. Unless of course you dont like your children feeding small populations of fish to a large Scandinavian woman." thegamerwithkids.com

"The game is simple to play, beautiful to look at and addictive. Gameplay is fluid and smooth and the graphics are top-notch." PadGadget.com

Captain Kjirk has a big mouth to feed. Help him keep Helga happy and keep her from destroying their ship by feeding her fish. Lots and lots of fish. And watch out for sharks and those pesky seagulls.

Hungry Helga is a fast-paced action game from new indie game developer, Grid Monsters. It features beautiful graphics and original music.

FEATURES:
- Simple but addictive gameplay: tap the screen to fire cannonballs at the fish and tilt your device to move your boat and collect them.
- Over time the fish become faster and stronger while seagulls, sharks, and icebergs hinder your progress.
- Two game modes: Peckish (normal) and Gluttonous (difficult) for those who want to dive straight into the action.
- Once Helga has eaten enough, she reaches a state of nirvana and can call on the gods for assistance. Watch her boil the water or zap fish with lightning bolts. Tap her spinning halo to activate her power.
- Changing scenery and weather.
- Enjoy the game's original music or listen to your own.
- Local and online leaderboards through Game Center.
- Game Center Achievements. See where you rank compared to everyone else!

Helga needs to eat! It's your job to keep her happy.

Check out the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm2uSy6ZCxs

Learn more about us: http://www.hungryhelga.com

goiMot's comments:

10-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Picked this up and I am a little disappointed in it.

The graphics/art style is really nice and I really enjoyed the look of the game. Gameplay is simple, you just tap to launch bombs at the fish and then move your boat by tilt or swipe over to pick up the fish.

So far so good but that is pretty much all there is. Helga gets a power up once in a while and the back ground changes but you are just stuck on a one screen stage doing the same thing over and over again.

The fish are pulled into your boat way too slowly and being able to shoot unlimited bombs takes out most of the challenge. The game takes to long to be a classic one more time game.

I was hoping that the bombs were limited and that there was more strategy involved. Played through six or so stages and deleted. With some work this could be a cool game but right now, I don't think it is worth $4.

10-22-2010, 01:32 AM
Hey Bazooka, thanks for buying our game, I appreciate honest feedback like this too, and we will be taking it into account for updates.

The first few levels are pretty easy, this was done intentionally after we got feedback from less experienced gamers that it was too frustrating when the fish dodged or took more than one hit right off the bat. You can get through them really fast with practice, but I am definitely open to ramping up the difficulty faster if this is a common suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaTime View Post
I was hoping that the bombs were limited and that there was more strategy involved.
If you only played to round six, please give it at least one more chance. The fish become much more "slippery" and you will feel the limitations of only being able to launch three shots at once. Herding the fish with the bombs and being strategic about using the super powers becomes really important. I can only personally get to round 12. I'm not the best gamer ever but I've certainly played this a lot .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaTime View Post
The fish are pulled into your boat way too slowly
If you move the boat a bit, the scooper can get more fish in his net per scoop, it's a strategic element to give a slight advantage to killing the fish in the center of the screen where it's easier to have the boat moving.
10-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Looks cool... I like the video.
10-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Game Impressions

I got it and am having a blast so far (although to be honest I could only play 10 minutes or so before heading off to work).

It's Redneck Fishing Nordic Style!

You are running a three person team who's sole purpose is to keep Helga fed...and as the very title suggests, she is HUNGRY!

The real basic gameplay then is all about firing your cannon at schools of fish and then scooping up the dead ones that float to the top (complete with the x's for eyes so you KNOW they're all dead by cartoon rules) to feed Helga. Helga, however, isn't just a taker, once she is completely full she can sing some little magical snippet (based on the weather at the moment) that will do anything from kill fishies with lightning to creating a bunch of phantom fish that taste just like real fish as far as Helga is concerned. If Helga ever runs out of chow and her belly runs dry...it's all over.

Once all the fish are cleared from the area it is time to move on with a nice little breakdown of the last round's score and then the new round starts.

The game does a great job of slowly introducing each of the elements in the first several levels but I also see this as a bit of a double edged sword. While this pacing of slowly introducing interesting new elements to real casual gamers, it also means the first several levels almost feel like you have training wheels on (little danger of Helga going hungry and thus ending the game). Things do eventually get nasty, however, with seagulls and sharks snagging Helga's fish, the fish themselves get smarter in avoiding the explosives, and icebergs to slow your ship down.

Here is my suggestion for an update. Taking a page from what they recently did in Subrats via its Crazy Mode, toss in a "Helga Extreme" Mode (complete with its own leaderboard) that is really nothing more than having the game start on the level where everything is already in play (icebergs, sharks, seagulls, and whatever else lies down the road) and that the player really does feel some pressure keeping the big gal hungry from the get go!

So as it stands I'd give it a 5/5 since I think they chose well to start off on the overly easy side if only offering one difficulty but HOPE they heed my advice of offering a more challenging mode for the more sadistic of us out there.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews

Last edited by LordGek; 10-22-2010 at 10:50 AM.
10-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the kind words LordGek, I got a good chuckle when I read the line about cartoon rules.

We're definitely leaning towards splitting the game into two modes, an easy one for beginners and a more difficult one that will be challenging from the start.
10-24-2010, 02:31 PM
Btw, if anyone else has suggestions or ideas we should include in our first update, we'd love to hear from you:

http://www.hungryhelga.com/contact/contact.php
10-25-2010, 02:27 AM
features:leaderboards...bought it and find that there are no leaderboards..then i read coming soon..omg you're kiddin me?i want my money back..

features leaderboards means it got it
game center coming soon it's an upgrade but it's suppost to have leaderboards...
10-25-2010, 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolaxl View Post
features:leaderboards...bought it and find that there are no leaderboards..then i read coming soon..omg you're kiddin me?i want my money back..

features leaderboards means it got it
game center coming soon it's an upgrade but it's suppost to have leaderboards...
Sorry to hear you're disappointed . The game does have a local leaderboard that you can see by pressing the middle button on the main menu.

I plan to add game center support to the leaderboard once OS 4.x is out for iPad so then you'll be able to compare your scores globally.
10-29-2010, 07:18 PM
This game has just gone on sale at half price and they'e also released the iPhone and iPod version too.
I picked up the iPad version and am having a lot of fun with it. It does start out pretty easily but it gets hard pretty quick. I can only get to level 8 so far. It's a great game for some quick pick up and play action.
I definitely recommend picking it up while it's on sale.

PS. I have no idea how to link in those iTunes pages otherwise I would have added it.