★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Game Controls - which kind does not suck?

10-22-2010, 03:30 AM
Game Controls - which kind does not suck?

Hi there,

I'm in the making of a game and everything goes great - everything but the controls. I'm kind of a perfectionist and can easily get obsessed with things and my current obsession are the game controls. It seems I can not get them working perfectly for all possible input vectors and thus I need your help.

Which game control concepts do you love? Which do you hate? (I guess the fake D-Pad would be one of the most hated input concepts on the iOS.)

In your opinion, which games implement perfect (or nearly perfect) input schemes that are just fun to use or (in the best case) you forget the input completely and just focus on the game? I need inspiration!

Leon

/edit: I should mention which kind of game I'm making. It's a 2D platform like game where you control a player character who can move up, left, right and down, etc. (just like Mario). So I probably won't need perfect 3D controls. Though out of curiosity I'm very interested in them, too

Last edited by minyx; 10-22-2010 at 03:34 AM.
10-22-2010, 04:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by minyx View Post
Hi there,

I'm in the making of a game and everything goes great - everything but the controls. I'm kind of a perfectionist and can easily get obsessed with things and my current obsession are the game controls. It seems I can not get them working perfectly for all possible input vectors and thus I need your help.

Which game control concepts do you love? Which do you hate? (I guess the fake D-Pad would be one of the most hated input concepts on the iOS.)

In your opinion, which games implement perfect (or nearly perfect) input schemes that are just fun to use or (in the best case) you forget the input completely and just focus on the game? I need inspiration!

Leon

/edit: I should mention which kind of game I'm making. It's a 2D platform like game where you control a player character who can move up, left, right and down, etc. (just like Mario). So I probably won't need perfect 3D controls. Though out of curiosity I'm very interested in them, too
I'm not sure if you have played Pizza Boy before (it's on the iphone), those controls are superb. Theres a slider for going left and right on the left hand side and on the right hand side there are buttons for jumping and shooting. I normally hate the fake d-pads because they never really work and feel fiddly, but I wouldn't mind using one if they worked responsively. To me Tilt to control is usually a big no-no. Only some games manage to pull it off so you can head away from that (and you probably don't need tilt controls for a mario clone anyway)

I kind of love the Arctic Monkeys
OF, GC:MrLambChopz
Hit me up with some SQH HC requests

10-22-2010, 04:18 AM
I guess you should ask that in the dev forums, as they know the tweaks.

And as stupid as it sounds, there are no `bad control schemes´, just bad implementation in the wrong context.

Swipe and Accel could work as well in a J&R as a D-Pad and Tilt or Dual Stick.
It all just all about how you make it fit in.

I have no objection to d-pad but most of the times the buttons are place not ergonomically.
being able to adjust them in size and position as in e.g. iTraceur is a great idea.

TouchArcade Patreon - GameCenter: dyscoder -

Last edited by dyscode; 10-22-2010 at 04:22 AM.
10-22-2010, 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyscode View Post
I guess you should ask that in the dev forums, as they know the tweaks.
I rather like to ask the players as they are the guys who have to live with my bad/good design choices

Last edited by minyx; 10-22-2010 at 04:50 AM.
10-22-2010, 05:35 AM
Quote:
I rather like to ask the players as they are the guys who have to live with my bad/good design choices
right attitude

TouchArcade Patreon - GameCenter: dyscoder -
10-22-2010, 05:46 AM
Doodle Jump, MC2:BP (surprisingly, but the controls are great!), Labyrinth 2, Super QuickHook, etc. For some of the games, mastering the controls is challenging, which makes it fun. You could always include multiple control options.
10-22-2010, 06:00 AM
I agree a slider would work well. That was the only good thing about Assassins Creed 2 on idevices.

Also Soosiz has simple and good controls.

If something online is free, you are not the customer - you are the product.
10-22-2010, 06:17 AM
Quote:
Hi there,
Which game control concepts do you love? Which do you hate?
Hi! I prefer controls joypad and hate tilting, acelerometer
10-22-2010, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLambChopz View Post
I'm not sure if you have played Pizza Boy before (it's on the iphone), those controls are superb. Theres a slider for going left and right on the left hand side and on the right hand side there are buttons for jumping and shooting. I normally hate the fake d-pads because they never really work and feel fiddly, but I wouldn't mind using one if they worked responsively. To me Tilt to control is usually a big no-no. Only some games manage to pull it off so you can head away from that (and you probably don't need tilt controls for a mario clone anyway)
sometimes they work wrong anyway...

I love this world!
10-22-2010, 08:38 AM
pizza boy's controls were perfect..
Chaos Rings "anywhere" joystick was pretty nice also.

to me, those games had the best controls