Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 10-16-2014, 01:47 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Default I'm mad as heck... iPad mini 3

I'm about to start yelling. I have been waiting for the iPad mini 3 for so long and all they did in the upgrade is give it Touch ID. Nothing else, not even a processor upgrade. However the iPad Air gets every upgrade imaginable. I'm really upset about this. I was planning on upgrading but this is pretty horrible. Why would I buy last years iPad mini?

Last edited by coolpepper43; 10-16-2014 at 11:40 PM..
Old 10-16-2014, 02:04 PM
iPad Air, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpepper43 View Post
I'm about to start yelling. I have been waiting for the iPad mini 3 for so long and all they did in the upgrade is give it Touch ID. Nothing else, not even a processor upgrade. However the iPad Air gets every upgrade imaginable. I'm really upset about this. I was planning on upgrading but this is pretty horrible. Why would I buy last years iPad mini?
Agree, w/ no new processor... no thanks. New CPU/GPU is what I look for in an upgrade. I'm cool w/ my Air though. It's so thin it actually feels great. I would recommend looking into the Air 2 unless of course you prefer the smaller screen. Air 2 looks like a beast.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:18 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingman View Post
Agree, w/ no new processor... no thanks. New CPU/GPU is what I look for in an upgrade. I'm cool w/ my Air though. It's so thin it actually feels great. I would recommend looking into the Air 2 unless of course you prefer the smaller screen. Air 2 looks like a beast.
Apple knows really how to twist your arm into the upsell. I do like the compact size of the mini but I need the latest and greatest since ios gaming is my biggest hobby. How sick is it that someone like me would pay $700 for a dedicated portable gaming device. Steve jobs said Apple would become a huge competitor in the handheld gaming market. I thought he was insane and it turned out he was right.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:27 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

You have every reason to yell xD
Nah, seriously, I'm a Mini 2 user myself and I get your feelings...kind of, cuz I decided to get myself a PS4 instead of the new Mini this year (cant stand all this freemium anymore) so it doesnt hurts that much. If I were in your situation I would probably feel the same as you do.
Now let me get this straight:
- iPhone 6 with A8 SoC
- iPhone 6+ with A8 SoC, same clockspeeds as the one in the iPhone 6 but the 6+ has a much higher resolution. The new iPad3 for me.
- iPad Air 2 with A8X SoC. They did this one right and it should be equal to the 6 performance wise.
- iPad Mini 3 with A7 SoC which is already outdated. 100$ just for TouchID. Pathetic!

Well, Metal makes less and less sense for me. On one side, they want to make the iOS gaming experience better but on the other side, they totally mess it up. The iPad Mini has one of the best form factors for gaming out of all iDevices, so why the hell put an outdated SoC in exact this device?!
If you really want all the bells and whistles then you'll have to get yourself a Air 2 this year. Period.

Last edited by Nekku; 10-16-2014 at 02:29 PM..
Old 10-16-2014, 02:31 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

How are you guys under the impression the iPad mini 3 won't be like the last one? By that, I mean a smaller iPad Air 2. I mean... even Jared's post on the front page says the same. Are we missing something?
Old 10-16-2014, 02:40 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

^Jared updated the news. The only new feature compared to the Mini 2 is TouchID. That's it. No new camera. No new display. The same SoC (A7) as the one in the Mini 2.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:44 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekku View Post
^Jared updated the news. The only new feature compared to the Mini 2 is TouchID. That's it. No new camera. No new display. The same SoC (A7) as the one in the Mini 2.
Also, don't forget it now comes in gold. It took 7 months of R and D to achieve such a feat.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:48 PM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Oh, okay. Then it's totally worth the 100$! /s
Old 10-16-2014, 02:58 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

Crap.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:10 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

The Mini 3 isn't what makes me mad. It's the lack of anything iPodTouch and AppleTV related. On the plus side, I guess that means my AppleTV3's are still relevant which for an Apple product this many years old is a rarity. But it also means no chance of any serious gaming stuff coming. They still want us to use old school airplay (remember this came along with the 4S) as if that works well in action games.

I know for all us phone and pad geeks the ipod touch may not make sense, but as a parent I can tell you for certain a device where I'm not paying a monthly fee to use yet still has access to my massive iOS game library and fits in a pocket is ideal for the kids. I was really hoping for an iPodTouch6 LTE (which should be cheap to add to a phone plan). That would have been a perfect way for the kids to stay in contact on the cheap while they also can play games and so on. I guess the 3DS will get even more popular in my household.