★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: iFishing Released!

10-23-2008, 01:48 AM
iFishing Released!

iFishing has been released on the AppStore. You can get it here.

I'm going to review it on my site tomorrow.

Enjoy!
10-23-2008, 02:16 AM
I have bought it. Opinion later. Thanks for the heads up.

10-23-2008, 02:49 AM
To the developer-
This is crap! It isn't very user-friendly at all. What the hell am I supposed to do? I cast into the water and wait for 5 minutes bored out my brains, start reeling in, then the man says "you need to set the hook"- What's that???
When ever I get a "STRIKE" appear on the screen (I am assuming that means something has taken to the bait) I reel in, and nothing is on the end except my bait! How am I supposed to know what speed to reel in at? From what I can see, there is nothing telling me.
On default settings, the music was far too loud, and I couldn't hear the speech over it on my Touch speaker (2nd gen Touch). In the end I had to turn the music off.

The bottom text when you start fishing says "To wind up, hold here then tilt towards you. To cast, tilt forward and release line."
By wind up I assume that means to reel in? If that's the case why are you instructing how to reel in BEFORE instructing on how to cast out? And why don't you explain that you need to hold the bottom to cast out too?
I feel a little cheated. So far, I have had a lot more enjoyment out of Hooked:Pocket Fishing.

[EDIT] And another thing! Twice so far I have stopped the boat where there is clearly a lot of fish on the screen at the bottom, then I go to fish and the man says "I don't think there are any fish here"- ARGHH!

[EDIT 2] Regarding my comments above regarding "STRIKE" appearing on the screen, and reeling in without any indication as to what speed to reel in. I have now had the "STRIKE" and after a few seconds the tension bar appeared on the right side. Why didn't this appear the first four or five times I had a "STRIKE"?

[EDIT 3] They just keep on coming don't they? If I am supposed to hold the bottom of the screen while flicking forward, then let go to cast, why then doesn't this work half the time? I am flicking my Touch forward like a lemon trying to get this flippin app to WORK!

Last edited by wastedyuthe; 10-23-2008 at 03:10 AM.
10-23-2008, 03:04 AM
Wow. I was on the verge of buying the app, having gone back to the previous post by arn and rewatching the gameplay video. Now, i'm not too sure..
10-23-2008, 03:24 AM
I bought it too, and in comparison to Hooked, it's a bit better, but it needs some improvements, as mentioned earlier. I won't be quite as harsh. I think the most important aspect missing is animated scenes. The static shots of the lakes just don't do it for me, especially after seeing what Flick Fishing is going to look like. Flick just seems more like it would give you the feel like you're there in the sea or at a lake. Having said that, I really like their first title, and seeing how much effort they put into this, I won't say that it's a failure in any way. It just needs some updates, hopefully before Flick arrives, because, like Arn mentioned, there is some stiff competition where this genre is concerned. Let's hope Rocking Pocket gets up to speed, quickly, and adds animations, and fixes some of the other issues WASTEDYUTHE has mentioned.
10-23-2008, 03:32 AM
The thing is, I am sure some of my issues are purely due to the lack of a tutorial, or at least some on-screen prompts telling you to start reeling in, and perhaps explaining what setting the hook means etc.
Other things like casting not working half the time and the man telling you there are no fish when there clearly was lots on the sensor machine, need to be fixed.
"I won't be quite as harsh" - I only get harsh when I pay good money for an app and have to switch it off before I end up throwing my Touch out of the window. I'm a nice person normally, honest

Last edited by wastedyuthe; 10-23-2008 at 03:38 AM.
10-23-2008, 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyuthe View Post
The thing is, I am sure some of my issues are purely due to the lack of a tutorial, or at least some on-screen prompts telling you to start reeling in, and perhaps explaining what setting the hook means etc.
the general lack of documentation in iPhone games really bothers me.

(I haven't tried this one yet)

arn
10-23-2008, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyuthe View Post
I'm a nice person normally, honest
Say that to the mailman on Tuesday!
10-23-2008, 06:40 AM
I have posted my iTunes review- it's not good I'm afraid. Sorely disappointed.
10-23-2008, 07:39 AM
I was going to post a complete user manual online but the game was approved an released in 1 day. The previous games took a week and I was expecting more time!

Anyways to the questions...

I don't think the music is too loud. It was reduced already so you could here the speech better.

When you see "strike" (and on iphone feel a vibration) you have to jerk upwards to set the hook on the fish just like real fishing. You have a second to react. If you do set the hook you'll see "fish on" and the fight will start.

To cast you press and hold the bottom area, then tilt it backwards as if over your shoulder, then tilt it forwards and then release your finger. It is quite forgiving since it doesn't have to be a smooth motion. You can hold it forward for a while and then release your finger to cast. The closer you tilt it towards completely flat the farther the cast will go.

The "Wind up" refers to preparing to cast, not reeling. (as in winding up a bat in baseball).

The fish finder may show some fish but the guide may want to fish in a better spot. You may have also driven past the spot with the fish.

wastedyuthe: Have you ever fished before in real life? If you don't know what 'setting the hook' means I really doubt it

Last edited by RPGGuy; 10-23-2008 at 10:14 AM.