Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 07:33 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Send a message via Skype™ to your personal robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selachii View Post
Phoenix HD has been approved and will be available from August the 12th! That's this friday ! No more waiting, no more uncertainties, mark the date!

But how much does it cost? Popular shmups have been getting more and more expensive!
We think Phoenix is a great game and many people who never tried it would like it as well. These are also players we want to reach, the big question was; how to convince them to try Phoenix HD.
There is really only one answer, the game has to be free.

So Phoenix HD will be free for everyone, not just for a limited time, just free. No ads. No time limit. No score limit. Just free.

We want as many players as possible, because that makes the game so much cooler.

Offering Phoenix HD for free will be an interesting (albeit slightly risky) experiment for us, but we are confident in our game.

To be able to offer Phoenix HD for free, we have created a new in-App Purchase, which enables access to the Leaderboards, called the Online Pass. You have to purchase the Online Pass only once to get unlimited access to the Leaderboards. This pass costs $0.99 (basically the price of the original Phoenix, which includes Leaderboard access).
When you don't buy the Online Pass, your scores are not submitted to the Leaderboards and thus not stored at all. You will be able to browse the Leaderboards as per normal, but without your own scores... you are just sidelined... watching others have fun...

If you played the original Phoenix and purchase an Online Pass in Phoenix HD, your scores will carry over to Phoenix HD including location information and everything. Phoenix HD will be your new home

The Mirage and Corsair are still available of course, the pricing has remained the same. Since this is a new app, original owners of these ships will have to purchase them again if they want to play with them in Phoenix HD.

A quick summary of this post, Phoenix HD will be:
-out on the 12th of August
-free for everyone
-supported by iAPs, no advertisements!
-universal
-amazingly pretty
-unbelievably smooth
-available for iPod Touch 3rd gen (32/64) and newer devices. iPhone 3GS and newer devices. iPad 1 and newer devices.

You like what you heard? Got questions? Let me know!
Fantastic concept. This will hopefully give that gem the fame it deserves. Good luck, also with fixing the bugs.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:39 AM
iPhone (Original)

Send a message via MSN to Selachii Send a message via Skype™ to Selachii

Quote:
Originally Posted by your personal robot View Post
Fantastic concept. This will hopefully give that gem the fame it deserves. Good luck, also with fixing the bugs.
Thanks, to say we are a bit bummed down by this issue is an understatement. We'll fix it asap and submit it with a "pretty please approve asap"-emergency ticket attached
Old 08-10-2011, 08:05 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Are you getting it featured by freeappaday because that might give it a good starting kick
Old 08-10-2011, 08:32 AM
iPhone (Original)

Well I don't know what freeappaday does with 'free' apps.
They approached us for Phoenix several times, but we are generally not interested in giving someone else money to sell our Apps

Let's hope Apple decides to feature Phoenix HD like they did Phoenix.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:49 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selachii View Post
Well I don't know what freeappaday does with 'free' apps.
They approached us for Phoenix several times, but we are generally not interested in giving someone else money to sell our Apps

Let's hope Apple decides to feature Phoenix HD like they did Phoenix.
While I understand listing a game with such a group might be a great way to really increase your visibility, it always kind of hit me odd as well to pay another company to give your game away for free for a day. It's as if not making anything from the day's sales weren't fun enough, here is a company you can pay a huge fee for the honor of not making any sales that day.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:53 AM
iPhone (Original)

Exactly. It might be attractive for games that are very dependent on iAP's (as in: have an infinite money sink), but Phoenix doesn't.
Also, we'd like to think that good games eventually get the sales/attention they deserve, yeh we are romantic like that, the world is much to harsh for people like me
Old 08-10-2011, 09:47 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

wow, I gotta say that I'm really impressed by the pricing structure. you sincerely seem to care more about the gamers than making tons of bank! I really hope it pays off for you and increases your fanbase. the extra ships and leaderboards will be an instabuy for me, and I hope many others.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

So will the original Phoenix still be supported as it has in the past? I was a little confused as to whether Phoenix HD would actually be replacing or be a supplement to Phoenix.

I bought the original and love it. Unfortunately, Phoenix HD wouldn't even run on my iPod Touch 2G so just wanted to clarify if the original will be supported with any updates, etc.

EDIT: Well, just saw the post that a patch would be coming out for Phoenix around the same time as Phoenix HD so I guess that answered my question!

Last edited by awp69; 08-10-2011 at 10:05 AM..
Old 08-10-2011, 10:26 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Free games can attract a lot of harsh reviews for minor bugs and something as simple as it being too difficult for some people or iAPs not being part of free updates. I hope Phoenix HD doesn't encounter any of these issues =/
Old 08-10-2011, 10:31 AM
iPhone (Original)

That is indeed one of the risks, but we'll have to see how that pans out. Some people think developers are greedy for asking money at all, which (from our point of view) is _so_ weird.

Anyway, a new version has been submitted, let's hope Apple is in a position to help us get it approved quickly

Closed Thread