★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Game Dev Story COMBO!

10-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Game Dev Story COMBO!

Hi, I suppose most of you TA'ers here know about Game Dev Story. Any chance you could share with us all amazing combos you did while mixing the genre and type of the game? Oh, some of us ( ME! ) would also like to know how to get more 'TYPE' of games... so far I have only like 2 pages of them ( YR 31 ) ==" . My direction is ALWAYS "BUDGET +".

Feel free to share your combos, skills and how to get the BEST GAME AWARD!

My very best, if I'm not mistaken is PUZZLE+REVERSI which sold more than 30 million copies in my early year and earned the BEST GAME award. Now, I sold more than 40 million copies but didn't achieve the BEST GAME AWARD.

10-24-2010, 11:47 AM
Well, the best way to quickly learn new genres is to train your staff. Just choose staff -> train and pick any of your employees, then train them in one or more areas. The more expansive they are, the greater chance that you will unlock new genres.

Some of the combos that work well for me are Samurai/Ninja Action, Pirate/Detective/Mystery Adventure, Fantasy/Pirate RPG, [any sport] Simulation, and [any board game] Table/Board. For some reason, my Puzzle games never do well.

SPOILER: You can also make a Games Company Simulation, but it's best to figure this out on your own.

10-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the reply, it really helps! Any more suggestions guys?

10-24-2010, 09:54 PM
Board-reversi (1 GOTY)
Simulation-game co.
Detective-adventure (1 GOTY)
Robot-shooter (I have 6 GOTY from this combo)
Fantasy-RPG (1 GOTY)

Um that's all I can see right now, I think I missed a bunch.

When I'm using those combos I go for Quality. Sequels from the Shooter-robot get me over 120 million copies sold everytime (as long as there isn't a blackout or something). I use the boosts a lot while debugging. Usually one per area, unless it gets me +20 on the first try, then I do it twice on that area. The hackers are ridiculous, I've hired all of them.

When making games I choose 3 outside people to do music, sound, and design one game. Then the next game I use all in-house people to do music, sound and design. That way no one does two in a row and they always perform 100%.
10-28-2010, 02:07 PM

I can't stop playing this damn game, I got FIFA 11 a week before this and it barely gets a look in!

Here are some Combos that have worked for me:

Racing/F1 Racing
Simulation/F1 Racing
Historical/Audio Novel
Mystery/Audio Novel
Online RPG/Fantasy

There are loads more, but these are all I can think of at the moment.

Also, does anyone know what the hell the Cutie game type is?
10-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Motion/Mini Skirt

Hey I'm Rob, I occasionally write for TouchArcade! Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/robfunnell3
10-28-2010, 02:42 PM
Try Romance / Sim :P

Have a look at Naruto RPG!
Look at Gamebook Adventures for iPhone/iPod/iPad!
I do app descriptions for free
10-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by diffusion8r View Post
Motion/Mini Skirt

I love this combo!
10-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Send a message via AIM to RttaM Send a message via Yahoo to RttaM
I don't remember which one, but I got one of my games to sell 2,000,000+ copies.
10-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by RttaM View Post
I don't remember which one, but I got one of my games to sell 2,000,000+ copies.
Was it LateNight/Wank ?