★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Best RPG selection in my App Store

10-24-2010, 02:23 PM
#1
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,609
Best RPG selection in my App Store

I notice that in the games section of my App Store one of the selection by types are RPG. Funny, here the list:
  • Chaos Rings
  • Sword & Poker
  • Final Fantasy I&2
  • 100 Rogues
  • Aurora Feint II
  • Inotia 2
  • Doom II RPG
  • Fastar!
  • The World of Magic
  • Ravensword
  • Gamebook Adventure 2: The Siege of the Necromancer
  • The Isle of 8-Bit Treasures
  • Zenonia 2
  • Hybrid
  • Dungeon Scroll
  • Across Age
  • Dungeon Hunter
  • Zenonia
  • Crimson Gem Saga
  • Shining Force
  • Puzzle Quest
  • Underworlds
  • Sword of Fargoal
  • Seed 1 Gold

My heart bleed a little of some missing RPG, but that's a refreshing selection anway.

I regret the absence of:
  • Rimelands
  • Heroes Lore: Stigmata Of Gaia
  • Knights of the Phantom Castle
  • Undercroft
  • Orions: Legend of Wizards
  • Knightfall Death and Taxes (I know its IAP is abusing but well)
  • Seed 2
10-24-2010, 02:26 PM
#2
Completely different from UK RPG store.
I'll post it later.

Have a look at Naruto RPG!
Look at Gamebook Adventures for iPhone/iPod/iPad!
I do app descriptions for free

10-24-2010, 02:39 PM
#3
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostLegend View Post
Completely different from UK RPG store.
I'll post it later.
Yeah cool I'm curious to see. In fact this could be in my app store since a long time, I usually never connect in iphone section but only ipad section where it's a rather good strategy selection since a long time.

Both also get the strange selection of "control your world" with a mix of sim, strategy, and resources management.
10-24-2010, 02:44 PM
#4
Pheonix Wright is great also. It's actually the fav RPG I have on my ipod xD
10-24-2010, 02:49 PM
#5
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunner123 View Post
Pheonix Wright is great also. It's actually the fav RPG I have on my ipod xD
PW is RPG? more like visual novel to me.
.
.
War of Eustrath is the best rpg and the best game currently in my ipod
10-24-2010, 03:43 PM
#6
Just to let you know, the games that are not on the list are there because the "Best Role-playing Games" section of the Appstore was added prior to their release.

But i do agree with most games you have there, especially Rimelands.. it's not getting much love at the moment
10-24-2010, 04:00 PM
#7
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymrune View Post
Just to let you know, the games that are not on the list are there because the "Best Role-playing Games" section of the Appstore was added prior to their release.

But i do agree with most games you have there, especially Rimelands.. it's not getting much love at the moment
Ha ok I didn't knew that selection was that old, the strategy selection in iPad store isn't that old.

From those I played Rimelands is the more unique and it has the best fights which is quite an exploit because it is bringing a new system I haven't seen anywhere else. For sure a rpg fan could enjoy some other less casual (which is another point of its originality) but it's still very pleasant to play and certainly will be for most rpg fans. I wonder from what you get it isn't getting much love. Perhaps its TA iphone thread, I don't check on a regular base nor in deep that section, there's too many posts.
10-25-2010, 12:59 AM
#8
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunner123 View Post
Pheonix Wright is great also. It's actually the fav RPG I have on my ipod xD
If you think Phoenix Wright is an RPG, then maybe you think Street Fighter IV is a racing game, and Doodle Jump is a RTS game?
10-25-2010, 01:30 AM
#9
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles, USA
Posts: 722
No, visual novels are considered RPG's. 'RPG' originally stood for 'Role Playing Game', meaning that the emphasis is on playing the role of a single character. IE, Phoenix Wright, visual novels, and text adventures.

The genre has evolved over time and the more common meaning of RPG today has become 'Game with a big epic storyline and/or lots of stats and numbers', but both are still valid.

Last edited by spacecowgoesmoo; 10-25-2010 at 01:35 AM.
10-25-2010, 02:08 AM
#10
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecowgoesmoo View Post
No, visual novels are considered RPG's. 'RPG' originally stood for 'Role Playing Game', meaning that the emphasis is on playing the role of a single character. IE, Phoenix Wright, visual novels, and text adventures.

The genre has evolved over time and the more common meaning of RPG today has become 'Game with a big epic storyline and/or lots of stats and numbers', but both are still valid.
Yeah... I know what an RPG is.

I've been gaming since the days of Ultima on the Apple II, and played D&D at the Compleat Strategist in NYC back in the 80's. Assuming you know what those things are and why they matter.

PW is not an RPG. You can call it a visual novel. You can call it a graphic adventure game. But it's not an RPG. Nor is it even a text adventure - I played REAL text adventures back in the Infocom days.

Calling it an RPG is simply incorrect. It's not. Even if a million people call it an RPG, it's not.

Last edited by Chocolate; 10-25-2010 at 02:11 AM.