★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Space Rage 3D

10-23-2008, 05:59 AM
Space Rage 3D

Im just looking for some feedback on anyone who has bought my new game: Space Rage 3d

Im wanting to make a lot of improvements according to what people want so any feedback is welcome.

On a side note, I set the customer reviews to the USA for the app, but as Im in the UK Im not sure if I can see them? I just want to make sure Im not missing out on peoples suggestions

Anyway, I've reduced the price to $1 as a special sale price so feel free to pick it up while its cheap!

Thanks
10-23-2008, 06:18 AM
Hi Mr. Developer,

I mean, it's not overpriced, but it's just... not good.

Levels are all the same, planes are all the same, graphics are iffy.

10-23-2008, 06:23 AM
If you go to the bottom of the iTunes Store homepage, you can switch the language and then read the reviews in the other stores.

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
10-23-2008, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
If you go to the bottom of the iTunes Store homepage, you can switch the language and then read the reviews in the other stores.
Thanks for this, cant believe I never knew this

I admit the graphics do need some work, I plan on adding in more ship models and I want to get them properly textured too.

I also know the levels are essentially the same, but thats kinda the point Ie its more about gaining score by continuing to shoot the enemy ships and becoming a better pilot. As the levels get higher the enemy ships get better at shooting you, so you have to get better at avoiding their shots and killing them first.
10-23-2008, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armbruster View Post
Levels are all the same, planes are all the same, graphics are iffy.
I forgot to say thanks for your feedback

Aside from the graphics, what did you think of the actual gameplay in terms of:

1) chasing down ships
2) general controls
3) the way ships chase you
4) explosions

Im just a single developer, and its the first time I've done anything like this, so I was quite proud of my game

Im seriously thinking of removing it from sale to improve it alot more.
10-23-2008, 07:25 AM
I haven't played it yet, so if you've already done this don't listen to me.

A good way to make levels different easily in a space fighter is just different graphics.
Give different levels different backdrops: a planet, a nebula, a moon, a sun, etc.
If the ships get better at shooting at us, make the ships that are better at it look different than previous less skilled ships.

Then of course there's less easy stuff like level bosses, power ups or earned permanent ship enhancements, different kinds of enemies (slower but powerful, faster but weaker), other ships that are on your side which you have to avoid shooting, specific mission obectives (capture the flag, defend the tower, escape from overwhelming danger, etc) Again, all of these things should change the look of these game elements accordingly.

And of course a story to tie it all together always helps. Different kinds of enemies are from different kinds of planets. You have battles above each of those planets and each planet/enemy set has some sort of back story which infulences their strategy, or at least the kind of ships they build/fly.

I'm sure that's a lot more depth than you ever intended to include. But different back drops and different enemy appearances should be easier, and go a long way toward making any game less repetitive.
10-23-2008, 07:44 AM
Theres some great suggestions there! Its definitley given me something to think about. Im going to do my best to improve it, as I want it to be a fun game. I know Im biased but I do enjoy playing it myself

In the mean time, do you think its sensible to remove it from sale while I work on improving it?
10-23-2008, 08:40 AM
Quick dev related question...
I know I'll never be able to program a game. Not gonna happen. I'm too old to learn this now.

However, I am a graphics guy so I was wondering what programs are used for the graphics in these iPhone apps? I know regular programs like Photoshop, and I've dabbled in some 3D software.

Sorry for the unrelated toss in question. It's just something I'd like to learn more about and I figured this is the easiest way before really diving in and doing hard core research.

PS - Even if the game is terrible (which I have no idea if it is or isn't) its still better then anything I'll ever make.... which is nothing!
10-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Let's team up! Nickels can do the art, space rage can do the code, & I'll do the level design. (just kidding mostly)

As far as removing it, I think that depends on how much you're going to add to it. If you really feel that this is a beta, then call it that and make it free. Call the people playing it your testers outright and solicit their feedback in your app store description. Then make a new, paid 1.0 version when you feel it's truly ready. Just a thought. I have no idea if that makes good business sense. But I do hear people compain all the time about paying to be beta testers for unfinished apps. I wonder if they'd feel the same way if the game was free and explicitly designated as a beta.
10-24-2008, 01:37 PM
maybe some sort of planet setting would be cool with buildings on the ground. like some boss levels in starfox where you have a big circular playing area that you fly around in and blast stuff. (I know I'm not explaining very well)

it might help to give it a better sense of speed. sometimes it just seems like the ships casually stroll right by you, like you could just kick the damn thing and send it hurling off into space lol

It's also kinda weird that the ships are all so close together.
as of now it almost seems like shooting fish in a barrel.
most of the ships seem to float around in a pack, and once you fly over there, it's kind of a clusterf**k. enemies will fly right through you from behind and bits of the ship will pop out in front of you.

maybe some fixed objects on the ground will give the game a more fast-paced feel to it. and maybe if the enemies are spread out it will give it more of a dogfight feel as opposed to just blasting 5 ships that are all right next to each other. (which I imagine wouldn't be the case in a real dogfight)

anyways, just some suggestions. keep it up!