★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Game Dev Story Tips

10-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Game Dev Story Tips

Spread your GDS tips here, for any of those who need help.

My two tips:

1) use sequels like crazy. When they automatically start with like 50 or so fun it gives you a head start and you're virtually guaranteed to get the game back into the hall of fame. On my second playthrough when I was winning GOTY every year from about year 9 by year 15 I had about 15 action + martial art sequels, about 10 movie sequels and about 3 sequels for online RPGs, music dancing games etc.

2) If there's someone expensive you want to hire with a massive sign on fee, just make sure you don't fire anyone before doing a recruiting search and just REPLACE a staff member. This avoids the extra signing on fee and for the hackers/special characters can save around 8 million!

3) You can seriously rewrite history. I managed to keep the Virtual Boy equivalent that in my first playthough went to about 5% in a matter of months to stay at 16% when all other consoles like Game Boy and PS went below that.

4) The earlier you win the GOTY the better. I got my only 40/40 game around year 8 of my second playthrough which I have never been able to replicate even with 8 hackers, and that year didn't win the GOTY somehow. But later years for some reason although I won it every year it wasn't always my highest rated game. Try and get out 3 37+ games and you're guaranteed it.

But that's not the point. The Jupiter 512, although looking like something from a 1900 sci-fi theatre production has a ridiculous market share, matched only by a self-made console (but that gets rid of the fun IMO). With 32% of the market share at around year 12 it is a money maker to get 50,000,000 sales figures. I assume you get the toilet console at 5 GOTY (because it didn't come at 2,3 or 4) and I can only imagine what that would have at year 16...)
For lols, here is my full list of Kung Fu sequels:

Kung-FU! (Game Kid)
Kung-FU Xtreme (Game Kid)
Kung-FU Insane (Game Swan)
Kung-FU Ultra (Super IES)
Kung-Fu MEGA!! (Super IES)
Kung-Fu 3D (Virtual Kid)
Kung-FU! 4D (Virtual Kid)
Kung-Fooey! (Platstatus)
Kung-FU REVO (Game Box)
Kung-FU! OMG (Jupiter 512)
Kung-FU! WTF (Jupiter 512)
Kung-FU!!!!!!! (Intendro DM)
Kung-FU! HD (Platstatus 2)
Kung-FU 1080p (Pogo Popo?)

Hey I'm Rob, I occasionally write for TouchArcade! Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/robfunnell3
10-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diffusion8r View Post
4) The earlier you win the GOTY the better. I got my only 40/40 game around year 8 of my second playthrough which I have never been able to replicate even with 8 hackers, and that year didn't win the GOTY somehow. But later years for some reason although I won it every year it wasn't always my highest rated game. Try and get out 3 37+ games and you're guaranteed it.
Hmm, that's weird. I never win GOTY, even though all of my games in the past 3 years are 36+ and they all make it into the hall of fame.

I do agree that sequels are the best way to make money, but if you put out three sequels in the same franchise in a row, your fan base will decrease rapidly.

By the way, Mystery Adventure games have always been the most successful with me. My first one, which I named Phoenix Wright for obvious reasons, was my first game to sell over 3,000,000 copies. The sequel, Phoenix Wrong, sold 5,900,000. The next game (Phoenix Lefte), because it was a third sequel in a row, only sold 4,600,000, but two years later, I made another sequel which I named Phoenix North, and it was my first 10,000,000 copy selling game!

Also, hackers may be productive, but they don't seem to be as creative as producers or writers, so don't use them for boosts, proposals, or graphics, or sound jobs.

Last edited by csklimowski; 10-26-2010 at 07:38 PM.

10-25-2010, 08:51 PM
These are combos and tips I've used:

Board-reversi (1 GOTY)
Simulation-game co.
Ninja-action
Detective-adventure (1 GOTY)
Robot-shooter (I have 6 GOTY from this combo)
Fantasy-RPG (1 GOTY)

I missed a bunch.

When I'm using those combos I go for Quality. Sequels from the Shooter-robot get me over 120 million copies sold everytime (as long as there isn't a blackout or something). I use the boosts a lot while debugging. Usually one per area, unless it gets me +20 on the first try, then I do it twice on that area. The hackers are ridiculous, I've hired all of them. Boosting with the directors works better than boosting with the hackers, for some reason.

When making games I choose 3 outside people to do music, sound, and design one game. Then the next game I use all in-house people to do music, sound and design. That way no one does two in a row and they always perform 100%.
10-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da shiz wiz 19 View Post
When I'm using those combos I go for Quality. Sequels from the Shooter-robot get me over 120 million copies sold everytime (as long as there isn't a blackout or something). I use the boosts a lot while debugging. Usually one per area, unless it gets me +20 on the first try, then I do it twice on that area. The hackers are ridiculous, I've hired all of them. Boosting with the directors works better than boosting with the hackers, for some reason.
Is Mister X secretly a hacker? I just hired him

Also I started utilizing Boosts and it's helped a lot, finally won some awards

My top sellers:

1. Kitten Butt - RPG/Animal
2. Boom Dead - Shooter/War
3. Terminate! - Action/Robot
4. Back Dat Ass - Sim RPG/Pop Star
5. HS Meh! - Sim RPG/High School
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.PNG
Views:	8
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	24791

Edit: 1st game to break the 10million sales mark is Serve It! 3D, my Sim/Convenience Store title - seems to be pretty popular lol

Last edited by Cilo; 10-26-2010 at 01:06 AM.
11-14-2010, 04:19 AM
When/ any tips to get new office?
11-14-2010, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by camihq View Post
When/ any tips to get new office?
Year 10 or so
11-14-2010, 01:11 PM
is there anything else after developing own consoles? i found tht thing become repetitive when the time developing the consoles ?
11-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the tips!
11-14-2010, 03:15 PM
I'm having trouble finding the hardware engineer. Help?
11-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisceriousZERO View Post
I'm having trouble finding the hardware engineer. Help?
I think you have to take an existing dev and when the guy comes to offer to sell stuff, you then change a dev's job to each one and then you can change him to hardware eng.

Don't take my word for it though.