★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Pocket God 1.35 - Double Rainbow All The Way Across The Sky (update Out Now)

10-25-2010, 06:05 PM
Pocket God 1.35 - Double Rainbow All The Way Across The Sky (update Out Now)

It's almost a triple rainbow! What does this MEAN!!!!

Our last update was submitted on Thursday and will hopefully come out in the next couple days. I really hope we don't get another Saturday release like last time. That just kills the ranking boost we normally get when a new update is released. The best day to have your update approved is Tuesday or Wednesday. You get a bump in ranking and then the weekend adds to it.

So, like I said last time, this is a mini update. It's more similar in size to one of our old updates like lightning or hurricane. You can draw a double rainbow in the sky and while you are drawing it, the Pygmies all stare and gush over it by saying things like "Full On!" "What does this mean?" "It's almost a triple rainbow". The Pygmies are full on being blown away by this majestic miracle. If you do a rainbow with the storm clouds available, it starts raining. Thanks to Jazzzed for that one. I wasn’t going to add it but since he mentioned it, I spent a little extra time on it.

We also updated the menus quite a bit. Last update we rearranged some of the menu categories. I think the new organization makes a lot more sense but we hear from people all the time that don’t know about story mode, skin packs, or challenges. I think the problem is that icons (even well designed icons) on a touch platform can be hard to figure out. On a desktop you can roll over and get a tooltip that shows what the icon does, but there are no rollovers on a touch platform so if you don't recognize what the icon does, you have to actually tap on it to figure it out. And most people don't like tapping on everything just to figure out what it is.

So we added text labels for all the icons in the category menu. By default it's turned on but there is an option where you can turn them off in the settings menu. Hopefully it will encourage people to check out some of the other features of the app. I think the next step is to find a way to tell people when there is a new skin pack, bonus pack, or story.

Speaking of Story Mode, we added two rainbow modes. The first mode just paints a standard arc rainbow across the sky but there is also a mode which will paint the last rainbow that you drew in the game. So you can write something out in the sky and incorporate it into story mode. We also added all the Rainbow Gushing animations to story mode.

For next steps, Allan is on vacation in Mexico for a week but when he gets back we will be starting the Konkey Dong mini game. There have been some discussions about the game but I just wanted to reiterate, it will not be an exact port of Donkey Kong, we will be taking some gameplay that is reminiscent of Donkey Kong and forming it into a Pocket God mini game. We haven't solidified all the ideas yet, but we will create something that is both fun and funny. I think our last few mini games have actually been really cool. Ooga Jump, Pain Drain, and The Runs. So expect something that is definitely on par with them.

Outside of the iPhone game, we have lots of stuff going on. Our 2nd issue of Pygmy Peril was just released in the Pocket God Comics app. We are getting ready to submit Issue #3 of the comic along with Pygmy Peril #3 either late this week or early next. We are working hard to get issue #4 and a special Christmas issue out by the beginning of December.

Our Verizon BREW version of Pocket God is doing really well. It made it into the top paid apps chart and we hope it continues through the holiday season. If you know anyone with BREW phone, help us spread the word. The iPad game is coming along really well. We are hoping to submit it early December. Most of the functions are in, we are in the polish stage making things fun. We also received our PVC figures from China and they look awesome. Check out the Pocket Blog for an announcement as to when they will be available. We only have 400 between now and the end of the year, so first come first serve. We also have 3 other unannounced projects that will be released in November. They are being done through partners so we don’t have complete control over the date that we can talk about it but check out the Pocket Blog for more information. The biggest of the three projects will probably be entering an open beta test at the very end of November.

Moving forward, our main goal is to make sure that these projects are all launched properly and do well. After the Holidays are over, we will need to evaluate our next steps. Based on how well all these projects do, we will need to decide if we do a second iPhone game or we just continue to support the existing Pocket God game all next year like we did this year. We have some new Pocket God ideas that we would really like to do in the future. (2 paid, 1 free) but we'll have to see where everything sits in January.

10-25-2010, 06:12 PM
wow, lots of new and exciting things to come between now and christmas. Can't wait to see what is next from Bolt.

10-25-2010, 06:14 PM
Yes I was right!!!!

Playing: Chopper 2, Pocket God, Minigore, Battle Bears-1, Doodle Jump, Tilt to Live, SuperMega Worm
Plus+: J3553 | Feint: J3553H | Crystal: J3553 | Gameloft Live: J3553
10-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Sounds like a great update! Hope to see it soon in the App Store
10-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Omg omg omg omg awsomeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
10-25-2010, 06:26 PM
I like the double rainbow update and the new icon! BTW, when are the plushies coming out Dave?
10-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcy View Post
I like the double rainbow update and the new icon! BTW, when are the plushies coming out Dave?
We had manufactoring problems with the plushies. We wont sell them the way they are now. once we get some of these projects off our plate, we will be looking for a new manufacturer.
10-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Man! I can't wait to see what the pygmies sound like :3

I Beta Test for: Pocket God, Pocket God Journey to Uranus, Doodle Jump, Tilt to Live, Tilt to Live HD, Pentagon Defence HD, The World of Magic, The Creeps!, Across Age, NovaRift, Zombie Duck Hunt, Petopia, D.A.R.K., Doodle Gore, and many more!
10-25-2010, 06:39 PM
and what about retina support? .)
10-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0panka View Post
and what about retina support? .)
We can't do retina support on the existing game. the game is currently 25 Megs, if we increase all the textures. that size will be multiplied by 4.

We render everything into the higher res buffer so you should see more anti-aliasing but the only way we could do retina would be to do a new game and start over from scratch.